Tipping crown gril

hockeypapa

They are the included in the tipping pool. You can tip extra if you want as service is usually excellent.

Doesnt seem to be true anymore. If you book prior to cruise now, it say gratuity excluded.

Doesnt seem to be true anymore. If you book prior to cruise now, it say gratuity excluded.

It is still true. The waitstaff in the specialty restaurants are still included in the tipping pool. So are room service personnel.

I have a question if you go to a restaurant and there is a 20% tip all ready added into the bill. Do you still add another 15% or 20% tip?? A Yes or No will do. No long stories please.

Tony

Never seen a 20% tip added. It's usually 15-18% that I've seen. If the service is merely adequate, we'll leave it as is. If it's really good, we might bump it up to 20%(or a little higher) A lot depends on the cost of the meal. I've no problem adding more to a breakfast bill. A meal that costs over $200, the service had better be stellar to go over 20%. Usually when tipping, I prefer to leave cash. Being foodies(and you know we're in the food industry, Lucky TGo)we try to help out our fellows in the industry.

No way. I usually try to avoid places like that anyway.

I see a lot of rest. in Florida already add the gratuity. Talking with the staff when we eat the night before the cruise, I was told that a lot of tourists are cheapskates & leave miniscule(or NO tip)I certainly hope you're not in THAT group. I would be highly disappointed in you!

Sigh... Another tipping thread. Please do a search on the term "tipping" and you will find pages (and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages...) of comment on this topic. I am sorry to be such a butthead (really, I am not usually so crabby) but really... Please check other threads.

Of course it is already too late. Even if you got your answer in the first reply this thread is bound to grow to 300+ re;lies.

Answer to your original question: Despite what you read her the vast majority of folks don't tip extra in Crown Grill or Sabatini's. They have already agreed in advance to tip 15%. Most feel that is enough. If you were at a land-based restaurant and tipped 15% would you feel that you needed to tip more? Really??? (Yes, I know that 20% has become common in the US but I have to wonder WHY? My daughter knows a couple of waitresses. They are indeed paid poorly. So.... If you made $120 a day do you really deserve an additional $300 - $400 a day in tips??? That is the kind of tips my daughter's friends are making. Really??? $300 a day is over $37hr.

Granted that, in today's market. $120 per day isn't a huge amount. However, waitressing was never intended to be a full-time career and, even in California, minimum wage is not year $15/hr. ($15 x 8 = $120). I now many (many) here like to say how much they tip "extra". For the most part I think it is just to "be cool" or something. I used to work in restaurants when I was young. I was a cook and a damned good one. I never felt I was "owed" extra tips. I did my job for the wage offered when I was hired. When I wanted "more" I asked for a raise. Once, when I was told "NO" I tendered my resignation on the spot. I got the raise. (There is something to be said for being "the best possible" employee who gives full service to the employer. :))

I'd LOVE to know WHAT restaurants your daughter's friends work at!! Very few restaurant workers SEE those kind of tips. We're in the business & I think you're WAY over stating the pay to almost a fallacy. Bartenders in the highest end restaurants can make those kind of wages, but it has to be the true highest quality. The regular staff generally make far less. I truly wonder what people who dine out( in nice restaurants) FEEL that servers should make. 15K? 25K? less/more? If people can't tip well(for GOOD/EXCELLENT) service, they should eat at home!

It always amazes me. The quality of the food you get has nothing to do with the waiter yet he/she is the one that always gets the tip.

Nothing wrong with tipping the chef. We've done that as well. Chef's on the other hand generally make among the best wages. You'd never see a chef make $15.hour at a high end rest. Perhaps at your local Denny's. Pay is commiserate with talent!

Edited by keithm
Additions

I see a lot of rest. in Florida already add the gratuity. Talking with the staff when we eat the night before the cruise, I was told that a lot of tourists are cheapskates & leave miniscule(or NO tip)I certainly hope you're not in THAT group. I would be highly disappointed in you!

I think it is more about tourists from other cultures not understanding the tipping norms in the U.S rather than them being "cheapskates". It's the same for us when we visit Europe or even Canada. It is so against our nature to only leave an additional Euro or two on the table - it invariably makes us feel like the cheapskates. Yet our family members over there assure us that this is the norm in their culture and to leave more would be highly unusual. In Miami, and now further north, waitstaff were and are getting unintentionally stiffed, thus the automatic gratuity has been added.

I'm not a tourist. :')

The lower end to middle restaurants in our area usually don't have gratitude's automatically added in. We're just not accustomed to those fancier restaurants.

I'm not a tourist. :')

The lower end to middle restaurants in our area usually don't have gratitude's automatically added in. We're just not accustomed to those fancier restaurants.

Yes, I know you live there. We found even the lower end rest. in the Miami area seem to have added the tip. We didn't see that in GG's last year. It probably is included now.

My wife and I used to tip our dining room servers, room steward and specialty venue servers for years. But over time we came to realize we were already paying all of those people including bartenders/drink servers. Now we look at it from a different perspective; we pay the going rate without question and reserve tipping for room service and room service only. Beyond that, we see the cruise vacation like an all-inclusive resort. We pay whatever the cost and reserve tipping for extraordinary service which is what tipping is supposed to be. And employee wage issues never enter our thoughts. They knew the wage when they signed on, the last thing I'm going to do is lose sleep over their employment choices. I'm the customer, they are not family..

I think it is more about tourists from other cultures not understanding the tipping norms in the U.S rather than them being "cheapskates". It's the same for us when we visit Europe or even Canada. It is so against our nature to only leave an additional Euro or two on the table - it invariably makes us feel like the cheapskates. Yet our family members over there assure us that this is the norm in their culture and to leave more would be highly unusual. In Miami, and now further north, waitstaff were and are getting unintentionally stiffed, thus the automatic gratuity has been added.

Talking with staff in some of the places we eat before a cruise, it's not the foreign tourists, but the ones from up north. A lot of these travelers are of the opinion.."We'll never see these people again" mentality, so they skimp/skip out on tips. A lot of the "Spring Breakers" are notorious for skipping out on the whole bill. Some localities make the server responsible for paying the tab in that case. Personally, I'd make it a felony for scum who skip out like that. We always found the tipping in Canada to be like here. We live in NH, so going to Canada is pretty easy. Up there, however the Gov. has a machine that tracks the tips, so they collect the taxes. We put zero on the machine in the tip column & tip in cash. The Govt. there still tries to "estimate" the tax.

Yes, I know you live there. We found even the lower end rest. in the Miami area seem to have added the tip. We didn't see that in GG's last year. It probably is included now.

Aside from McDonald's and Burger King there are no inexpensive places to eat in the Miami area. :D We go there for day trips quite often.

Aside from McDonald's and Burger King there are no inexpensive places to eat in the Miami area. :D We go there for day trips quite often.

You're kidding right? We found plenty of places along Collins Ave. where you can get a decent meal for under $20.

. We always found the tipping in Canada to be like here. We live in NH, so going to Canada is pretty easy. Up there, however the Gov. has a machine that tracks the tips, so they collect the taxes. We put zero on the machine in the tip column & tip in cash. The Govt. there still tries to "estimate" the tax.

Must be in Quebec. My DIL works as a waitress here in Ontario at a higher end chain and makes really good money in tips and the government assumes an extra 10% on top of her salary, same for my daughter when she was waitressing. They declare 10% of their salary although it is much more in some cases

Terry