Tipping crown gril

hockeypapa

Thank you, Thrak, brilliantly said.

My DD worked as a bartender during her college years and in the summers on South Beach. Those summers, she would come home with hundreds of dollars in tips nightly in cash - and that was "off" season! Living in South Florida we have had the privilege to personally know many officers who work for various cruise lines. Without exception they have all said that most passengers are completely unaware of just how much crew members rake in due to additional tips. According to them, they do very,very well.

We have been to many all inclusive resorts on the islands and because they cater to european/UK clientele, their policy is strictly "no tipping" even going to the extent of stating that employees will lose their job if caught accepting a tip. I worked for a summer camp in the Adirondacks during my college years that had a similar policy. We worked 7 days a week and yet most of us returned year after year....

Many restaurants in Miami now add an additional 18% service charge to restaurant checks. We rarely add more. What is different on a cruise? I have no problem paying the "optional" gratuity (in fact, I always prepay it) I just wish that I didn't have the "American guilt" where I usually feel obligated to tip more.

Guilt about what?

We always leave $10 - $20 cash tip.
$10 for us in any ship's specialty restaurant where the service so merits.No one told us not to. We always tip 20% for excellent service at home unless it's a giant pre-tip bill like for Joe's Stone Crabs.

You gave a tip to the Main dining room already for a meal you are not taking, you gave a tip in the upcharge for the specialty restaurant, so if you want to leave a THIRD tip feel free but not obligated. I personally don't care to leave 3 tips for the same meal.

You gave a tip to the Main dining room already for a meal you are not taking, you gave a tip in the upcharge for the specialty restaurant, so if you want to leave a THIRD tip feel free but not obligated. I personally don't care to leave 3 tips for the same meal.

To clarify, the auto-tip pool is divided among all waitstaff, among others, including MDR and specialty restaurant staff. So, yes, Crown Grill waitstaff are already receiving a tip if you have kept your auto-tips in place.

The charge for dining in a specialty restaurant does not have a tip component. Your server gets no part of that.

If diners in a specialty restaurant feel motivated to give an additional tip, that's a personal choice. I would only urge that tip be given in cash and not added to the guest check. A cash tip can be kept by your server if you have left your auto-tips in place. A tip added to the guest check goes into the auto-tip pool.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

What I find even more strange is that some folks base their extra tip on what they perceive the meal to be worth at an on-land restaurant, not what they are charged by Princess. Not that the servers don't deserve a tip for their efforts but it's getting over the top in some cases.

What I find even more strange is that some folks base their extra tip on what they perceive the meal to be worth at an on-land restaurant, not what they are charged by Princess. Not that the servers don't deserve a tip for their efforts but it's getting over the top in some cases.

Plus these are not American workers paying taxes. Crew has room and board and the salary they receive is worth considerably more in their home countries. I personally don't believe the bragging on these threads about how much extra people "claim" to tip.

Plus these are not American workers paying taxes. Crew has room and board and the salary they receive is worth considerably more in their home countries. I personally don't believe the bragging on these threads about how much extra people "claim" to tip.

But you can sure tell the ones that don't.

We can always start talking about the Butter again. :)

Tony

And "chair hogging".....and "how early/late can I possibly embark/debark the ship"......I will go ahead and tattle-tale on myself as I've chimed in on these and other beaten to death topics. [emoji51]

As to tipping - we ate in both specialty restaurants on the Regal last month, left a tip both times as we had a large party and service was above and beyond - but I also wouldn't suggest anyone feel guilty if they choose not to, it's a personal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you're inordinately predisposed to feeling guilty or have tons of free money to spare or flush down a toilet, no, you don't tip in the specialty restaurants. Gratuity is taken up-front via your admission price. I'd presume you're not an idiot so why pay the fee twice.....?

Unless you're inordinately predisposed to feeling guilty or have tons of free money to spare or flush down a toilet, no, you don't tip in the specialty restaurants. Gratuity is taken up-front via your admission price. I'd presume you're not an idiot so why pay the fee twice.....?

I don't think generosity has anything to do with idiocy. Making irresponsible and reckless judgements may.

Once again we have a tipping thread that is deteriorating into a slanging match. I say let's ban tipping threads altogether.

You have my vote on this one!! Tipping thread you have the same people giving the same advice time after time.

Tony

Perhaps SOME of us like to reward additional for service over & above.

Perhaps SOME of us like to reward additional for service over & above.

We agree with you. If you don't want to Tip then don't! For those of us who choose to, please do not think of us rich or stupid, as we were raised to be quality service deserves to be rewarded.

After all, differences are what makes each of us unique! Remember, just cruise! [emoji12]

Just Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Forums mobile app

The real problem, in my opinion, is that the cruise lines are not very clear about what the charge for these restaurants actually covers. If it does cover the gratuity, then tipping additional is unnecessary but appreciated. If it doesn't cover the gratuities or only a small amount, then it would be nice to know so that I can appropriately acknowledge excellent service.

Would love clarification on what constitutes, Above and Beyond, or Over and Above service.:)

I think this is one of those situations where it depends on the individual. For me on a Royal Caribbean cruises, it was the server who fawned over my son, making him a specialty beverage from his country and letting him sample a bunch of items of the adult menu. I also tipped extra beyond the included tip for my coffee at the coffee bar because he always started making my skinny vanilla latte when he saw me walking across the atrium. To me, this was beyond regular or normal service and I tippedd extra because I appreciated it.

The real problem, in my opinion, is that the cruise lines are not very clear about what the charge for these restaurants actually covers. If it does cover the gratuity, then tipping additional is unnecessary but appreciated. If it doesn't cover the gratuities or only a small amount, then it would be nice to know so that I can appropriately acknowledge excellent service.

that bill does not state that gratuities are included.

that bill does not state that gratuities are included.

Not does it say they're not, I presume. The point I was trying to make is that the cruise lines are not transparent on what exactly the upcharge actually covers. Is it only the food? By the same account, can't someone reason that the auto gratuity then covers the servers in specialty dining like it does elsewhere?

Not does it say they're not, I presume. The point I was trying to make is that the cruise lines are not transparent on what exactly the upcharge actually covers. Is it only the food? By the same account, can't someone reason that the auto gratuity then covers the servers in specialty dining like it does elsewhere?

ALL food servers are covered per the Princess site.

HOW DO GRATUITIES WORK?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts.

ALL food servers are covered per the Princess site.

HOW DO GRATUITIES WORK?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts.

Thank you. This would suggest that any additional tip is discretionary, but not expected but required.

Would love clarification on what constitutes, Above and Beyond, or Over and Above service.:)

Being in the food industry over & above generally means a lot more than just bringing out your food. Service should be very pleasant with a smile & a willingness to ask: Is there anything else I can do to make your meal more enjoyable. Pleasant menu suggestions,not just "moving" the chef's special. The Chef's special by the way, is nearly always something they want to get rid of: Yesterday's leftovers, food getting "near" it's expiration date etc. Service should be friendly, but not hovering. Quick checks on the diners & the meal quality help as well.

Thank you. This would suggest that any additional tip is discretionary, but not expected but required.

I think you read that wrong. The auto daily tip placed on your account is discretionary which can be reduced or added to. There is no "but required" as you stated but NOT required if i read your statement correctly.

I think you read that wrong. The auto daily tip placed on your account is discretionary which can be reduced or added to. There is no "but required" as you stated but NOT required if i read your statement correctly.

That's the part that I don't like about additional tips. If we tip extra, I prefer to hand it to the individual.