Ice wine on Royal

RMM34667

Does anyone know if they sell any type of Ice Wine by the bottle on the Royal.

Trying to plan wine for dinner for my Mom on the ship. She doesn't drink enough to justify a beverage package. She enjoys a glass or two of Moscato with dinner but they don't sell by the bottle. (She likes sweet stuff). She would be happy with bringing a glass to dinner. If they sell the ice wine I can buy a bottle (with my package discount) for her to enjoy with dessert.

Princess sells Rex Goliath moscato by the bottle in the dining rooms. It's about $28.00

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is great info. I did not see that on my Regal cruise in November but it does solve that problem.

Still would love to know if they have ice wine. It would be a bonus.

Each person can bring one bottle of wine onboard for free (no corking charge) in your carryon bag. That way you can be sure to have the wine that Margie likes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. My BVE guest can also bring a bottle onboard :D. So we will have 3. I considered paying the corkage for another few but it seemed silly to pay $15 for a $7 bottle of wine when I can get 40% off.

Hope to meet you onboard!

Even with 40% off....it might be cheaper to carry it on.. Post #29 in this thread has a spreadsheet of the cost of buying wine on board vs buying retail and paying the $15 corkage. You could use it to calculate which is cheaper for you. (Don't forget about the 15% on top that you have to pay...not sure if that is before or after the 40% off?) But... there is also the 'hassle' factor.....

In case it is useful to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293170&highlight=wine%2Bspreadsheet

On every Princess cruise that I have been on (seven since 2012) they have offered a pretty nice dessert wine from the Chilean maker Errazuriz. I think it's made from late-harvested sauvignon blanc grapes.

I would like to know this as well. Since no one answered the question.

We like Moscato but it's not ice wine.

We also like Errazuriz dessert wine.

I'll be more complete about my limited experience.

Personally, I've never seen either Ice Wine or Eiswein on any Princess winelist. On the Ruby, I saw aTokaji Azsu (500 ml bottle) and a Tawny Port (glass) on the SHARE winelist.

I'll be more complete about my limited experience.

Personally, I've never seen either Ice Wine or Eiswein on any Princess winelist. On the Ruby, I saw aTokaji Azsu (500 ml bottle) and a Tawny Port (glass) on the SHARE winelist.

Thanks. You were posting your first response as I was composing mine.

Thanks. You were posting your first response as I was composing mine.

:o

After I submitted my second response, I looked at your signature and saw that you had 52 Princess cruises under your belt. I felt pretty silly with my meager 7 cruise experience.

Even with 40% off....it might be cheaper to carry it on.. Post #29 in this thread has a spreadsheet of the cost of buying wine on board vs buying retail and paying the $15 corkage. You could use it to calculate which is cheaper for you. (Don't forget about the 15% on top that you have to pay...not sure if that is before or after the 40% off?) But... there is also the 'hassle' factor.....

In case it is useful to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293170&highlight=wine%2Bspreadsheet

Sorry if this duplicates..

Did the math. I would pay 70 cents more if I purchase the Rex-Goliath Moscato on board. That is with the 40% discount before gratuity. So worth it.

I will report back if there is any Ice wine available on board. Sailing Royal in six days.

Ice wine is primarily a product of Canada and I imagine it's fairly a limited production so it's not likely to be carried by any major cruise line. While touring outside Quebec city 2 years ago, we went through a vineyard area on an island in the St. Lawrence R. and the guide pointed out that at least one of the facilities was famous for its ice wine. Since its produced from grapes that froze on the vine, there aren't many large wine-producing areas that have that kind of cold temps (I assume).

Ice Wine is also made in the USA and many countries in Europe.

I've seen half bottles on-board in the past, but it's not something I usually look for, who knows what's changed over the years.

I suggest you stop at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale before boarding.

If there is ice wine on board, considering the mark up even on average priced wine, ice wine would be in the stratosphere. It's my favorite, but I have to wait for birthdays and Chrismas gifts to stick up for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think everyone is right and for the ice wine my best bet is to carry a bottle on. I will pay the corkage fee and bring to the dining room. It will be a nice treat for my mother.

I want every thing about this cruise to be special. At 82 there is no promise there will be another.

Thanks. My BVE guest can also bring a bottle onboard :D. So we will have 3. I considered paying the corkage for another few but it seemed silly to pay $15 for a $7 bottle of wine when I can get 40% off.

Hope to meet you onboard!

Where does one get Ice Wine for $7 a bottle?

That was for the moscato.

Ahhh... OK. Moscato comes in a variety of price ranges and I understand it can be had inexpensively. I was confused because I thought you were referring to the Ice Wine and I've never seen it sold in that price range. :)

I'm a bit odd (OK, a lot odd) as I mostly drink red wine but very few white wines except for the sweet varieties. I actually like things like Moscato and Ice Wine. I found a nice Gewürztraminer at Vines. (It is "very slightly sweet".) They only had one offering as most white wine drinkers don't seem to like even that hint of sweetness. It has been described as the grown-up version of Moscato and I think that's a pretty good description. :)