Riviera Entertainment

Bootman4U

I have sent an email to a close friend who just got off the Riviera a few weeks ago asking him about the entertainment on board. He is an entertainer and will, I suspect, have a somewhat biased viewpoint. I have consistently read things like, "The ship is basically dead after 9 PM" and "There really isn't much entertainment" and so forth.

Yes, these are subjective assessments but I'd honestly be interested in hearing a few more. You read enough and a clearer picture begins to emerge. And no, it really doesn't matter what I like; it's a matter of what's offered. I can start to like all sorts of things if I want to.

Thanks in advance.

There are many threads on the nightlife

It is what it is some people like it some people do not

There is an evening show @ 9:30 ish nightly in the lounge

there is piano guy in Martinis

String quartet in the Grand bar Hall from about 6:30pm to 9 ish

in Horizons after the show at 10:30 pm there can be Karaoke , name that tune, other things going on but unless it is of interest to you then it will be boring after dinner

Here is a blog with copies of the CURRENTS

it will give you an idea of the offerings

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm

this is on the small ships & maybe a google search could get you more current dailies

We are onboard the Riviera now. Shows begin at 9:30. Truthfully, most of them are not very good. There is an singer named Colleen Williamson who did two shows. She is excellent. The shows are well attended, but the ship does quiet down by 10:30.

Steve, Thanks. Heard back from my friend who is from New York and is kind of an entertainment snob. He thought the entertainment was pretty good (he also raved about the food as just about everybody seems to do). I appreciate your candor and if anybody rolls in and says (more or less to you), "Well, Steve, just what do you WANT, anyway?" I'll be happy to answer, "Well, obviously not that." Hey, sometimes it is a trade-off.

The best entertainment is watching people's faces as they listen to their waiter describe the olive oil options at Toscana.

That wouldn't be me as I always ask for butter in Toscana. The breads there are too good for olive oil. :D

We just got off the Rivieria. We went to 2 evening shows, a comedian and a magician and both were what we considered as below par, we went to a pianist but listened a minute or two and decided to move on. The singing duo that appeared throughout the ship were also not as good as we would expect.

The pianist in the Martini Bar was very good, took requests and we enjoyed sitting there. The karaoke at Horizons was visited by the entertainers from the ship and that was worthwhile but, as others have said, it begins about 10:30 and not many folks show up..

As so many have said, the food and service is excellent but the entertainment is lacking.

We are onboard the Riviera now. Shows begin at 9:30. Truthfully, most of them are not very good. There is an singer named Colleen Williamson who did two shows. She is excellent. The shows are well attended, but the ship does quiet down by 10:30.

I am happy to hear the show begins at 9:30 p.m.

When we took our TA about 3 years ago the shows started at 9:45 p.m. Which I found very late.

9:00 would be even better but 9:30 p.m. will have to do.

I know people want late shows because they eat dinner late and draw it out, however I find 9:45 p.m. too late.

9:00 p.m. shows would leave ample room for dinner IMO.

That wouldn't be me as I always ask for butter in Toscana. The breads there are too good for olive oil. :D

Not sure if you've tried adding some balsamic vinegar to any of the olive oils. It may get you to reconsider it as an occasional sub for the butter (especially with a crusty sourdough).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is often said here that the shows on Oceania are poor, worthless, not worth attending and any other number of derogatory names.

I wonder if all these people are Broadway and West End critics and just what shows (if any) they attend at home. Even if one lives in NYC and goes to Broadway frequently - even then this would be an unfair comparison for many reasons, which I assume I do not have to detail here as they should be obvious to everyone.

We have many cruises on O under our belt and we attend 95% of the shows and enjoy about 85 - 90% of them. Some are better than others, some singers and dancers are more talented than others but they all work very hard and are good enough to entertain us. We realize that we are watching young people who are not good enough to perform on major stages - or else they would not be there - but are certainly good enough to entertain us and usually a full audience. If the Happy Hour is more entertaining to some than the evening shows, that's OK with me - leaves room for me in the front row.

I am off my soap box now :D

Not sure if you've tried adding some balsamic vinegar to any of the olive oils. It may get you to reconsider it as an occasional sub for the butter (especially with a crusty sourdough).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I have and it's still butter for me :D

It is often said here that the shows on Oceania are poor, worthless, not worth attending and any other number of derogatory names.

I wonder if all these people are Broadway and West End critics and just what shows (if any) they attend at home. Even if one lives in NYC and goes to Broadway frequently - even then this would be an unfair comparison for many reasons, which I assume I do not have to detail here as they should be obvious to everyone.

We have many cruises on O under our belt and we attend 95% of the shows and enjoy about 85 - 90% of them. Some are better than others, some singers and dancers are more talented than others but they all work very hard and are good enough to entertain us. We realize that we are watching young people who are not good enough to perform on major stages - or else they would not be there - but are certainly good enough to entertain us and usually a full audience. If the Happy Hour is more entertaining to some than the evening shows, that's OK with me - leaves room for me in the front row.

Well said. +1

+ 1

we enjoy the shows for the most part

we prefer the classical musicians they had on the R ships

we skip the comedians just not our thing

the Productions shows are better now that the early years

t is like food so subjective

It is funny that people say they do not go to the show but it is usually standing room only some nights ;)

We were only able to get 8:30 dinner reservations so a 9:30 show means we will probably miss most of them. Darn.

I'd recommend that you revel in a series of luxurious, extended Cocktail Hours, and never give the Shows another thought. (y)

I'd recommend that you revel in a series of luxurious, extended Cocktail Hours, and never give the Shows another thought. (y)

What do you suggest they do if they don't like to "revel in a series of luxurious, extended Cocktail Hours"?

Some people don't spend a single minute at a Cocktail Hour - can you even imagine that? :D

What do you suggest they do if they don't like to "revel in a series of luxurious, extended Cocktail Hours"?

Some people don't spend a single minute at a Cocktail Hour - can you even imagine that? :D

Thanks, again, for all the comments which helps make the picture of potential cruise passengers even clearer.

As to spending time at Cocktail Hour, can you imagine that the vast majority of people who go on cruises don't spend even one minute on this site?

LOL, we don't spend any time wrestling with the 241 nonsense either, Paul, but everybody spends the cocktail hour somewhere. :halo:

pool.jpg

The the pool deck becomes a delicious refuge at dusk, and if the Reservations aren't until 8:30, there is time for an iced beverage or two whilst dressing for dinner :hearteyes:

rClass-Owners-Suite-Butler-Service.jpg

Some people say that they cannot find enough uses for their Butlers- it boggles my mind.

We were on the Riviera last January. Went to to several shows in the main lounge and found them to be from okay to good. We found it a pleasant way to spend some of our evening.

After the show we generally would go up to Karaoke, which was well attended on our cruise. The lounge wasn't packed but was busy.

It was our first time on Oceania and we very much enjoyed it. I can see many more cruises on Oceania in our future.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I've decided to skip the butler's help with dressing:p

In the meanwhile we're going in for the penny and the pound and have booked the port-intensive Barcelona to Venice sailing in August 2018 as well as the TA later in November so we'll have lots of opportunity to experience all sorts of entertainment and not just on the stage I suspect.

It is nice, IMO, to be on an outside "public" deck on a ship later in the day/early evening when there aren't many others around. Kinda like being in San Marco at dusk when all the visitors have left: magic.

Best wishes to all.