Muster Drill

ckb104

Not to take sides with anyone but with all this talk about muster rules I haven't heard anything new in years and even that was a warning about coffee pots. I can see why some folks try to avoid muster after hearing it so many times.

If you know where your muster station is located, what to bring with you and how to put on your life jacket, what else can you possible learn that would be life threatening?

And the only way that you'll find out if something has changed is if you go to the muster drill. Also, not everybody on a cruise has sailed before or has sailed on that line (every line probably has some procedural differences) and coming up with some way to sort out who has cruised before from who hasn't, etc. would be a nightmare for the crew. Is it repetitive? Yes. Is it important? Yes. For the frequent cruiser it's refresher training. For the new cruiser it's brand new. But for all on board, it's important, possibly life-saving, and worth the 30 minutes or so it's going to take.

Tom

And the only way that you'll find out if something has changed is if you go to the muster drill. Also, not everybody on a cruise has sailed before or has sailed on that line (every line probably has some procedural differences) and coming up with some way to sort out who has cruised before from who hasn't, etc. would be a nightmare for the crew. Is it repetitive? Yes. Is it important? Yes. For the frequent cruiser it's refresher training. For the new cruiser it's brand new. But for all on board, it's important, possibly life-saving, and worth the 30 minutes or so it's going to take.

Tom

I really believe that if anything earthshaking took place between my cruises (8 or more yearly) I would be able to deal with it as long as I know the basics. Which I've heard many times over in my sailing career.

The muster talks are all directed towards people who have never cruised before and still don't know how to put on a life jacket or find their way around the ship.

Not to take sides with anyone but with all this talk about muster rules I haven't heard anything new in years and even that was a warning about coffee pots. I can see why some folks try to avoid muster after hearing it so many times.

If you know where your muster station is located, what to bring with you and how to put on your life jacket, what else can you possible learn that would be life threatening?

There was nothing that changed of great importance that would affect me in any way.

The only really important things are what muster station location to go to and how to put on a life jacket. All the rest most of us have heard many times over and can repeat it by heart.

btw- What were those major changes I missed out on?

It is of no consequence if you know "everything" about muster drills by whatever reasoning you come up with. The law is that you must attend. End of story. Period.

It amazes me how many people seem to think that they are somehow more important than the laws put in place to protect them for whatever excuse they can conjure up for their own convenience. Just go and deal with it graciously, instead of babbling on about how you are so well informed that you get no benefit for it.

It is of no consequence if you know "everything" about muster drills by whatever reasoning you come up with. The law is that you must attend. End of story. Period.

It amazes me how many people seem to think that they are somehow more important than the laws put in place to protect them for whatever excuse they can conjure up for their own convenience. Just go and deal with it graciously, instead of babbling on about how you are so well informed that you get no benefit for it.

There are laws and there are laws.:cool:

There was nothing that changed of great importance that would affect me in any way.

The only really important things are what muster station location to go to and how to put on a life jacket. All the rest most of us have heard many times over and can repeat it by heart.

btw- What were those major changes I missed out on?

Where did I say anything about major changes? I'll give you a clue to help you out - I didn't.

Where did I say anything about major changes? I'll give you a clue to help you out - I didn't.

Well who cares about the minor things - I'm referring to major items that are life affecting.

Answer- there aren't any. Nor have there been in many a year.

Couple of points I'd make about muster drill. Try to remember that it is not only training for you passengers, but also training for the crew. While the muster station leaders and stairwell guides perform the same duties when the crew drill is done weekly, the passenger muster drill is the only time these crew have the opportunity to train with large, unruly crowds and how to "herd the cats", so muster drill is important to those you are relying on for your safety as well, so help them out, so they can help you out.

If you are such an experienced cruiser (and I can bet I've got more days on a ship than you do, 8000+), do what experienced mariners do: test yourself to get better. Each cruise, position yourself in a different location on the ship, and imagine there is a fire in a different location each time. Now, determine your route to your muster station without going through or above the "fire", which would be cordoned off by security in a real emergency. You have no idea how many trained crew I've "killed" during drills for walking through a "fire" or into zones surrounding fires where smoke could be a problem.

As always Chengkp75 makes some good points.

I'll add when my kids don't want to muster I remind them of the Costa Concordia that didn't muster and hallway placards weren't in English and as Chengkp75 points out the only route you know is now blocked by fire. Yikes, what they must have went through.

Mustering before leaving port is the gift the Concordia pax that lost their life gave to all of us.

And what does that mean? That YOU decide which laws to obey? :rolleyes:

Interesting that both posters (floridalover5623 and MissP22) who seem to have contempt for the maritime law requiring muster drills are from Florida. It seems that in Florida laws are only suggestions and it is acceptable to ignore them to avoid being inconvenienced. DOUBLE :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

As a first responder, it is the cavalier attitudes like these and the similar ones above that frustrate me to no end. People do not understand how in any

situation they can help or hinder, and yes, the more times you hear and practice the muster drills, the more they become muscle memory. In the unlikely but entirely possible event that it becomes necessary your brain will reach through some of the chaos and help you to do the correct things. You might even be able to help others.

As a first responder, it is the cavalier attitudes like these and the similar ones above that frustrate me to no end. People do not understand how in any

situation they can help or hinder, and yes, the more times you hear and practice the muster drills, the more they become muscle memory. In the unlikely but entirely possible event that it becomes necessary your brain will reach through some of the chaos and help you to do the correct things. You might even be able to help others.

I'm assuming that you equate the first responders training similar to the training people receive at muster drill- such as administering cpr, proper way to transport people with neck & back injuries and how to properly connect a defibrillator.

If I forget where my station is or how to put my jacket on, I think I need more instructions than a muster drill would provide.

Maybe a nursing home would be more appropriate.

No matter how much anyone hates to attend the muster drill or feels that it is totally unnecessary, the bottom line is the muster drill is a ship requirement based on maritime, coast guard or who ever has implemented the law. If anyone who has many cruises/muster drills under their belt and feels that it is not necessary to attend the muster drill - very easy - just go to the Passenger Service Desk and inform them that you will not be attending. I am guessing that all names will be provided to the Captain.

I'm assuming that you equate the first responders training similar to the training people receive at muster drill- such as administering cpr, proper way to transport people with neck & back injuries and how to properly connect a defibrillator.

If I forget where my station is or how to put my jacket on, I think I need more instructions than a muster drill would provide.

Maybe a nursing home would be more appropriate.

Not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that for people who are NOT trained first responders, the repetition of muster drills will help them to have muscle memory in their brains should a disaster occur. They would possibly be able to assist others (elderly, distributed, injured) to their areas and/or safety as well. You don't have to be a trained police/fire/EMT to help change the course of an emergency and help.

Our muster drills have always been before sailaway.

On the last handful of Princess cruises where cruise cards were scanned, there were announcements of passenger names immediately after. I can't swear what they were for, but the timing suggested it was related to the muster drill.

Our last cruise on the Star in 1/2017 the delightful Captain Tuvo used the muster time to also discuss how plumbing worked on cruise ship and remind the pax of what NOT to flush.

We also were not allowed to choose our own seats, but instead were seated "first in, last out" like stacked parking at an outdoor venue.

But we brought our Kindles in addition to our life jackets, so we really didn't care. It just gave us time for the orange souffle from lunch in the MDR to digest before we went looking for dinner!

Happy cruising, all!

Lyssa

Life jackets are available. They're just distributed at the muster stations rather than being in the cabins. I'll admit, though, that I though this was weird especially since they don't announce it until the muster drill. As a result, I was looking all over the cabin for the life jackets beforehand.

And if you can't, for some reason get to the Muster station?

I'm talking about Princess - don't know about Celebrity. They don't check if people attend or not. There was a while where they had makeup sessions for those that skipped out but that has ceased.

I've always been checked on Princess, initially crossing off a list, now scanning my card.

How do you know this? Have you been one of the ones who didn't attend? Do you have first hand knowledge of what happens to those who don't? They could be given a fine and required to attend a make-up drill.

I've seen it, was on a long cruise, also sold in segments, if you weren't at Muster many were asked for their card to confirm they were on the longer cruise.

I had no idea that asking about the muster drill could be so controversial. =)

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. I'm an information junkie, so it was very helpful.

If you are such an experienced cruiser (and I can bet I've got more days on a ship than you do, 8000+), do what experienced mariners do: test yourself to get better. Each cruise, position yourself in a different location on the ship, and imagine there is a fire in a different location each time. Now, determine your route to your muster station without going through or above the "fire", which would be cordoned off by security in a real emergency. You have no idea how many trained crew I've "killed" during drills for walking through a "fire" or into zones surrounding fires where smoke could be a problem.

Now that's a test I can agree on although trying it on a cruise ship would prove difficult at best.

Try explaining why you're in a restricted area marked for "crew only" would be difficult.

Not really. If on Royal Princess, go to the aft bar. Pretend you are staying in a room on the lido in the forward area. Drill as if there was a fire with a lot of smoke in the buffet area.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, get to your room to get your life jackets, then make your way to the muster area without going near the buffet area.