Muster Drill

ckb104

Strongly recommend that everyone follow the directions that will be given at the muster drill rather than strident directions by well meaning folks online.

Recent instructions include that, upon hearing an emergency warning to muster, each individual should make sure they have a jacket or other warm clothing and any necessary meds before they go to their muster station. If that involves a trip below to your cabin, then do it. (Princess and HAL)

I suspect those instructions are for anyone already in their rooms, not for people away from them. Would you run back into a burning building to get a warm jacket or your meds?

When called to muster, the passengers have no idea what the problem is or where it may be. It could be fire, flooding, a chemical spill, etc., which could be almost anywhere, including your room's hallway. Blindly returning back to your room might put you in the middle of the danger zone. I rather doubt any cruise line would recommend that. In fact, one of the things Costa Concordia crew members were severely admonished for was just that - telling people to return to their rooms.

Princess will also remove them from the ship if they fail to attend muster. Saw it done on my ladt Caibean cruise to passengers across the hall from us. They had all sorts of excuses and complaints as they were packing under the scrutiny of the ships security.

Same ship, same cruise but not on my deck.

This sure doesn't sound like the Princess the rest of us are talking about.

The seats "near the door" in pretty much all the muster stations are reserved for the handicapped and those who may need assistance. On my last several cruises anyone who does not fit that category has been ordered to move to where the muster guide is directing the incoming passengers. They make it very clear that following the guide's direction is part of the drill (each line has their own subtle way of sussing who is not).

And since 2011 Princess has been scanning the cruise cards of everyone as they enter the muster station. Are you saying that this is just for show and there is no intention of identifying who does not show up? The fact that Princess also does sweeps of cabins during the muster drill also refutes your "they don't check" theory.

We ALWAYS get seats next to the door. As soon as they say put jacket on, ours are ready to snap on & we hit the road. Maybe we look handicapped. :cool:

btw- they do check cabins but hot people sitting by the pools. Like I said previously, the do scan people entering but nothing is done about those that don't attend.

On the Princess cruises I have been on attendance was taken, and I believe it was mandatory to attend muster. I find it very hard to believe that Princess would not follow up on those that skip out.

The legal liabilities aside, if word got around that people could skip the muster, I believe there would be a lot of people skipping out. I just do not believe Princess does not follow up.

We go willingly, and I watch carefully. I have been in emergency situations before, and knowing what to do is important.

W

btw- they do check cabins but hot people sitting by the pools. Like I said previously, the do scan people entering but nothing is done about those that don't attend.

How do you know this? Have you been one of the ones who didn't attend? Do you have first hand knowledge of what happens to those who don't? They could be given a fine and required to attend a make-up drill.

That's uncalled for.

So is your continued insistence that neither attending nor following the rules at the muster drill is necessary.

...in fact, if you are so completely sure that there is absolute zero penalty for failure to attend--why do you continue to show up at muster seemingly in direct contradiction of your own repeated assertions???

This emperor clearly has no clothes.

So is your continued insistence that neither attending nor following the rules at the muster drill is necessary.

...in fact, if you are so completely sure that there is absolute zero penalty for failure to attend--why do you continue to show up at muster seemingly in direct contradiction of your own repeated assertions???

This emperor clearly has no clothes.

Who said I didn't show up for muster. I'm just posting what I saw & know to be fact.

I can guarantee that Princess doesn't fine anyone for not attending. They might tell you to attend a makeup but that's about it. They usually send a letter to the cabin detailing the specifics of the drill and nothing more.....lately.

Who said I didn't show up for muster. I'm just posting what I saw & know to be fact.

I can guarantee that Princess doesn't fine anyone for not attending. They might tell you to attend a makeup but that's about it. They usually send a letter to the cabin detailing the specifics of the drill and nothing more.....lately.

Try to keep up. I was asking why you do attend muster even though you are 100% sure there are no penalties for failure to attend.

But are you really sure? Back in reply #27 you appear to confirm the report from another member stating they saw someone removed from the ship for failure to attend muster. And before that in reply #21 you stated that all makeup musters have stopped--yet in the post quoted above you now believe they might still exist.

I will stop replying until you get your "alternative facts" sorted out.

Edited by fishywood

Try to keep up. I was asking why you do attend muster even though you are 100% sure there are no penalties for failure to attend.

But are you really sure? Back in reply #27 you appear to confirm the report from another member stating they saw someone removed from the ship for failure to attend muster. And before that in reply #21 you stated that all makeup musters have stopped--yet in the post quoted above you now believe they might still exist.

My guess is that they once thought they could skip it and was told to attend a make-up drill. Based on his comments so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they think that rules don't apply to them.

Wasn't me that said someone was removed from the ship. I guess you the one who's confused. All I know is that the make up musters have stopped on all the ships I've been on.

I attend when I think it's important....such as a new ship, new location, etc.

That's not to say that you shouldn't attend. It's a personal decision.

I never get to hear my name name called over the loudspeaker any more when I do miss them. :eek:

Which ship, which cruise were you on? What deck?

CB on Feb 19 Emerald deck.

CB on Feb 25 Caribe deck.

It seems to me that there are some irresponsible comments being expressed on this thread. Why is it so difficult for some people to do what is required of them. If you are called to a muster, just go. 'Build a bridge and get over it'.

They scan your cruise card as you come into the muster area so they know who hasn't attended and will notify them to attend a "special" muster presentation that they must attend. That might be waived if doing a BTB on the same ship.

I have never been on a back to back cruise where the second muster drill was waived. We always had to attend and we have done btb on Princess, HAL, Ponant and Hapag Lloyd.

I have never been on a back to back cruise where the second muster drill was waived. We always had to attend and we have done btb on Princess, HAL, Ponant and Hapag Lloyd.

That's weird. Every time we do a b2b Princess tells us we don't have to attend the second (or third) muster. I guess they know we've got it down Pat by then. :halo:

In all our BTB we have received a letter telling us that we do not have to attend the second muster drill. We have been on a few BTBTBTB and received a letter stating that since we have been on board for over 30 days, we are to attend the upcoming muster drill.

We have also been on muster drills where cabin numbers of missing passengers were called and, a while later, their names if they had not shown up. Some new cruisers may be confused, especially on large ships where they may not find their muster station easily.

What was different on various lines:

The drill was usually in a venue like a restaurant, bar, on the pool deck. On one small ship, they took us from the theater to the life boat to show us where it is located. On one line, we were having the drill outside next to our life boat.

Sometimes, we had to wear our life vest; on other ships, we just brought it with us and had to put it on right after instructions of how to do it. On one large ship, we were instructed not to bring our life vest at all. It wasn't even in the cabin. They distribute them in an 'abandon ship' emergency to prevent passengers from returning to their cabin in case this is already too dangerous.

Whatever the procedure is, just follow instructions.

We we're on a b2b on the regal in January and we were told it's not required that we attend the muster for the 2nd leg of our cruise as long as we booked it as a 14 day rather than 2 separate 7 day cruises. Once they scan your card on the first muster you're in the system and no worries. We stayed on our balcony and ran laundry during the 2nd weeks muster. I did hear from staff on very long cruises that each passenger must attend muster once every 30 days.

Do the people going early ""to get a good seat" think they will get notified in advance of a real emergency that requires them to go to their muster station?

My understanding is that the poster recommends getting a seat close to the exit for the drill so as not to miss sailaway, not for an actual emergency muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We we're on a b2b on the regal in January and we were told it's not required that we attend the muster for the 2nd leg of our cruise as long as we booked it as a 14 day rather than 2 separate 7 day cruises. Once they scan your card on the first muster you're in the system and no worries. We stayed on our balcony and ran laundry during the 2nd weeks muster. I did hear from staff on very long cruises that each passenger must attend muster once every 30 days.

Same for us on a 21 day booking from Athens. There were muster drills each week as new cruisers came aboard but we were not required to attend other than on our embarkation day.

I was on the Royal Princess in January on a B2B. We did not have to attend the second drill. It was the same for our last 4 B2B cruises.

Tony