Extra tip

That is what I said all along:

Apology: A Carnival spokeswoman said the company do not usually print the list of passengers who have opted out of the service charge

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1180762/Outrage-cruise-passengers-dont-tip-revealed-staff.html#ixzz4bin8vPsB

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Nobody cares if you remove the gratuities....if the would distribute it - it would cause a privacy law scandal - why would RCI risk this for no reason?

It would not change anything anyway!

So why stress out on distributing such information - it does not make sense to put any effort in it!

Apology: A Carnival spokeswoman said the company do not usually print the list of passengers who have opted out of the service charge

I wasn't trying to support anyone's argument (on this occasion.) This situation demonstrates that this kind of thing can happen even though there may not be a formal policy to do it. Note the"...do not usually..."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1180762/Outrage-cruise-passengers-dont-tip-revealed-staff.html#ixzz4bin8vPsB

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Nobody cares if you remove the gratuities....if the would distribute it - it would cause a privacy law scandal - why would RCI risk this for no reason?

It would not change anything anyway!

So why stress out on distributing such information - it does not make sense to put any effort in it!

Thanks for the link,i wonder how widespread this practice is?

love sailing with RCCL

It is from 2009!!!

And it was a mistake....that happens!

The embarrassed Carnival Splendor has had to defend themselves, claiming it is not protocol to make the names of passengers who have opted out of the service charge public to the staff.

A spokeswoman for the cruise company said: 'I've confirmed that this is absolutely not standard protocol and should not have happened. Crew members are not informed of which guests removed their gratuities until after the voyage is completed and guests have disembarked.

'This information should not have been posted, and shore side management is in communication with this vessel to ensure that it doesn't happen again.'

Not that I recall.

We always tip over the standard. 'How much' depends on the service.

We prepay and tip over too.

We always do MTD and had to prepay tips in UK to get MTD.

I had been told the main dining room staff and cabin steward are told who has stopped their tips and the fact they have to put any tips from these people into the tip pool confirms that they do know who has stopped there auto tips.

love sailing with RCCL

Both assumptions are NOT confirmed but a myth NOT a fact!

Also that might be possible if someone removes the auto-tips at the beginning of the cruise - if they remove the gratuities just before they leave the ship - in no way can that be accomplished....

Reading the threads in the UK i have no doubt lots of people remove their autogratuities but to do it late on the last night even if the service has been excellent shows they have no intention to leave any tips at all and TBH this stinks and takes a certain type of person to do it.

love sailing with RCCL

No it does not - the whole "system" stinks - the cruise-line does anything to get your money that stinks!

They got you already in their guilt trip! The emloyees are part of the "scam" as they constantly try to get you to give more and more tips....they got so greedy these days - they have the nerve to leave envelopes with their name written on it in your room!

If raising the fares and abolish the gratuity thing would benefit them they would have done this a long time ago.......but guilting passengers into giving more and more tips works just so much better for them!

BTW I have NOT seem any excellent service on RCI the last 5-6 years - all the service cuts prevent that - it is average or less...

Wish more passengers would stop playing this game and stop the tipping-greed!

I love cruising but the tipping-game has to end!

Edited by germanfflyer

Except it doesn't. All indications are that the typical American consumer is still maniacally fixated on getting the lowest base price, with little to no indication of developing a reasonable recognition of the ramifications of that in terms of surcharges, extra fees, etc. If anything, the mechanisms for which cruise ship gratuities are a part are gaining strength, not losing it.

No it does not - the whole "system" stinks - the cruise-line does anything to get your money that stinks!

They got you already in their guilt trip! The emloyees are part of the "scam" as they constantly try to get you to give more and more tips....they got so greedy these days - they have the nerve to leave envelopes with their name written on it in your room!

If raising the fares and abolish the gratuity thing would benefit them they would have done this a long time ago.......but guilting passengers into giving more and more tips works just so much better for them!

BTW I have NOT seem any excellent service on RCI the last 5-6 years - all the service cuts prevent that - it is average or less...

Wish more passengers would stop playing this game and stop the tipping-greed!

TBH a lot of what you say is true and we do feel a guilt trip.

love sailing with RCCL

That's what they want and that is why they are not going to change the tipping system!

And to shut up the rest of the passengers they let them remove the gratuities no questions asked....the % - removal is all calculated and they come out ahead!

Once the guilt-trip does not work any-more they will change the system quickly....we have seen that with Australia cruises.....the gratuities did not work in there favour down there - so they changed the system....

We prepay and tip over too.

We always do MTD and had to prepay tips in UK to get MTD.

I had been told the main dining room staff and cabin steward are told who has stopped their tips and the fact they have to put any tips from these people into the tip pool confirms that they do know who has stopped there auto tips.

love sailing with RCCL

That was also the response to me when asked about it.

They are trained to give you that response!

What else would they say?

I had an east European​ cabin steward on RC who made it clear the prepaid gratuitys he got was a pittance and it was obvious he expected!! more.I didn't trust him so we locked our valuables away.

love sailing with RCCL

Because reading various threads everyone seems to do it and we don't want to be labeled mean and anything bad to happen to any of our belongings or things go missing which we have heard stories about from other people.That is why i asked the question who does actually tip their cabin steward.

love sailing with RCCL

I tip the last night for good service, not because I feel it is a shakedown to protect my belongings; and I have never felt that way either that I had to do so to protect my things. Some along the way if someone does something extra for us. Very rarely have we had someone bad that did not deserve extra, but it has happened. If you feel you need to tip extra as a "protection" then the crew member doesn't deserve anything to start with. I'm happy to extend additional amounts for good service, but I am not guilted or compelled by fear to do so.

I tip the last night for good service, not because I feel it is a shakedown to protect my belongings; and I have never felt that way either that I had to do so to protect my things. Some along the way if someone does something extra for us. Very rarely have we had someone bad that did not deserve extra, but it has happened. If you feel you need to tip extra as a "protection" then the crew member doesn't deserve anything to start with. I'm happy to extend additional amounts for good service, but I am not guilted or compelled by fear to do so.

If you read post 36 from champagne 123 they mention a website about getting revenge on employers and someone showed my wife at work as she was a boss and because she always brings very expensive jewelry and clothes on cruises.the website made her cautious but not scared and little scares me so combined with being a very generous person with a little caution from my wife the cabin stewards on 42 of our 43 cruises have been good- excellent and always tipped on top of prepaid tips.

love sailing with RCCL