Extra tip

On Allure and staying in a suite. Obviously being charged the daily gratuities but we have received exceptional service from suite attendant. What would be appropriate amount to tip extra at end of 7 night cruise? Don't want to offend attendant by tipping cheaply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Allure and staying in a suite. Obviously being charged the daily gratuities but we have received exceptional service from suite attendant. What would be appropriate amount to tip extra at end of 7 night cruise? Don't want to offend attendant by tipping cheaply.

Totally up to you, the attendant will be grateful with anything you feel like giving.

As long as you tip the "suggested" amount, there is no way you could be considered "cheap"! If the attendant goes above and beyond in some way...stuff other than cleaning and making up the cabin, making sure you have towels, ice, soap, etc...then I'd think an extra $20-40 would be fine...but it really depends on WHAT they are doing for you that is not really in their job description.

Like most say, they would appreciate anything. If our service was good for the cruise, we usually tip what equate to ~$5/day. That usually pts it in the $20-$40 range noted in an earlier post.

We always give extra to our cabin steward who always do their job but rarely anything extra and because reading various posts everyone else seems to.Is this true ? It would be interesting to see how many people say yes or no.Thanks in anticipation.

love sailing with RCCL

Why would you tip them if they not do anything extra for you?

Because reading various threads everyone seems to do it and we don't want to be labeled mean and anything bad to happen to any of our belongings or things go missing which we have heard stories about from other people.That is why i asked the question who does actually tip their cabin steward.

love sailing with RCCL

Because reading various threads everyone seems to do it and we don't want to be labeled mean and anything bad to happen to any of our belongings or things go missing which we have heard stories about from other people.That is why i asked the question who does actually tip their cabin steward.

love sailing with RCCL

Those are just stories.

64658430.jpg

Jobs on board are coveted because they are not easy to get and allow the individual to make many times as much money as they could make in their home country. A staff member who has reports of damaging/stealing passenger belongings will find themselves off the ship and flying home immediately.

And if you think about it, most people who tip extra do so on the last night or the last morning, so the room attendant doesn't even know if they should retaliate until it's too late for them to do anything about it, anyway.

Those are just stories.

64658430.jpg

Jobs on board are coveted because they are not easy to get and allow the individual to make many times as much money as they could make in their home country. A staff member who has reports of damaging/stealing passenger belongings will find themselves off the ship and flying home immediately.

And if you think about it, most people who tip extra do so on the last night or the last morning, so the room attendant doesn't even know if they should retaliate until it's too late for them to do anything about it, anyway.

If you leave your cases out on last night and haven't tipped before i have been told stories from many different people of mysterious happenings.

One instance i saw myself on Sunbird when someone hadn't tipped and all that was on the pier at Palma was a bag handle with his tag on it.

love sailing with RCCL

If you leave your cases out on last night and haven't tipped before i have been told stories from many different people of mysterious happenings.

Wait. You're radically changing the parameters of the story, now. There's a big difference between not tipping at all and not giving an additional gratuity on top of the standard gratuity. I still wouldn't necessarily believe all the stories, but let's not confuse not giving the cabin attendant any gratuity and not giving the cabin attendant an additional gratuity.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Some people remove gratuitys on last night and then don't give any.I have always prepaid my tips in advance when booking and given on average an extra 200 dollars per week on top in extra tips but often the service is really average and when a poster questioned why in particular the cabin steward i gave extra for basic service it prompted me to ask other people's opinions.

love sailing with RCCL

We've always tipped extra but we get great service and it's always given the morning of disembarking so you should have no worries about your luggage.

Sent from my Bat phone using Tapatalk.

We've always tipped extra but we get great service and it's always given the morning of disembarking so you should have no worries about your luggage.

Sent from my Bat phone using Tapatalk.

I always seek out our cabin steward before going to the Diamond lounge on the last night so he is not disappointed and think he is not getting extra rather than risk not seeing him in the morning.We always take our own luggage off ourselves.

love sailing with RCCL

One instance i saw myself on Sunbird when someone hadn't tipped and all that was on the pier at Palma was a bag handle with his tag on it.

love sailing with RCCL

Ridiculous and fabricated. Have been here many years and not ONCE has anyone stated anything about mysterious things happening to their luggage upon disembarkation.....and there are TONS AND TONS of people that remove the gratuities. If this is something that happened, we would have heard about it.

Edited by champagne123
ssssssssss

133 completed cruises and I have never heard of disappearing items due to not giving extra tips. I tip accordingly; some stewards just do their job and others go overboard. (pun intended). I also have NEVER removed the designated daily charges, though there were occasional times I would have like to do so.

Also, how many think of tipping extra in Windjammer? We do quite often.

Ridiculous and fabricated. Have been here many years and not ONCE has anyone stated anything about mysterious things happening to their luggage upon disembarkation.....and there are TONS AND TONS of people that remove the gratuities. If this is something that happened, we would have heard about it.

We have personally seen it on Sunbird before it was sold to Thomson cruises.

On sun cruises 10 years ago they used to check your cases in for the airport at Palma pier.

We had a minor complaint with their customer services the day when we disembarked We found out later her boyfriend was on the dock airport check in desk. i saw them put a Newcastle flight tag on our cases.At Newcastle airport one of our cases was missing.It turned up at home a week later with a Cardiff flight tag over the Newcastle tag.Fortunately our name tags were still on so they could locate us.

love sailing with RCCL

We have personally seen it on Sunbird before it was sold to Thomson cruises.

On sun cruises 10 years ago they used to check your cases in for the airport at Palma pier.

We had a minor complaint with their customer services the day when we disembarked We found out later her boyfriend was on the dock airport check in desk. i saw them put a Newcastle flight tag on our cases.At Newcastle airport one of our cases was missing.It turned up at home a week later with a Cardiff flight tag over the Newcastle tag.Fortunately our name tags were still on so they could locate us.

love sailing with RCCL

First of all, how does this relate AT ALL to Royal Caribbean?

Second of all, you must really buy a lot of tin foil if you think that the people at guest services are going to call ahead to someone at another location and have them search out one bag out of literally HUNDREDS of bags that they will handle that day just as some sort of petty revenge.

Mistakes happen. So, too, does paranoid schizophrenia.

I just realized that the discussion here is with UK folks and USA folks. Americans tip, even when we don't think we should. And yes, many Brits, Australians and Europeans remove their tips since they are used to having all inclusive packages. I've never cruised Thomson, but know quite a few who have and almost none of them tip extra.

What about Cunard? Since they are a CCL company, do they add a daily charge or are the fares all inclusive?

Crap now I feel cheap. We typically only give a extra $10 at the end of the cruise plus prepaids obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TBH you had prepaid your tips and you should not feel cheap.On a 7 night cruise i give 5-10 dollars when i first meet cabin steward and 20-30 dollars last night in an envelope on top of prepaid tips.Sometimes on the last morning the cabin steward has been pleasant but on other occasions we have been blanked so we have felt they wanted more.This was another reason i started this thread to see what other people gave.

love sailing with RCCL

133 completed cruises and I have never heard of disappearing items due to not giving extra tips. I tip accordingly; some stewards just do their job and others go overboard. (pun intended). I also have NEVER removed the designated daily charges, though there were occasional times I would have like to do so.

Also, how many think of tipping extra in Windjammer? We do quite often.

Because i had seen things go astray maybe i was more gullible in believing some of these stories from Brits.

love sailing with RCCL

So you typically just leave a tip on the last night? Just trying to learn the best etiquette. I am a believer of tipping for superior service. I've heard nothing but the best about RCCL crew and staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately most people myself included give extra for average service.

love sailing with RCCL