Embarking - Can't figure this out

traveltripper

I've been on 3 other Caribbean cruises, all with Carnival. This time, it's Princess and the Baltic sea, leaving from Copenhagen.

Every time we go to embark, we end up in some really really long line and wait forever to get on. But yet I always read about people boarding and having lunch 10 min later!

How do I do this? I'm probably missing something simple, but the time printed on the ticket never seems to be the REAL time.

Thanks!

Every time we go to embark, we end up in some really really long line and wait forever to get on. But yet I always read about people boarding and having lunch 10 min later!

How do I do this? I'm probably missing something simple, but the time printed on the ticket never seems to be the REAL time.

Princess does not print a boarding time on the boarding pass used to check in from the cruise.

Princess usually will suggest check-in times by deck in order to even out the flow of passengers checking in and boarding. But this is a suggestion and very rarely is mandatory.

Princess check-in usually starts by 11 AM and boarding starts around noon. Usually there will be a big line waiting for check-in to start and the terminal will be crowded with checked-in passengers until boarding starts.

Usually by 12:30 PM the check-in lines will be small and its is possible to arrive at the terminal, check in and then board the ship in a reasonable amount of time. Of course several transfer buses could pull up at the same time and it would then take a little longer.

I've been on 3 other Caribbean cruises, all with Carnival. This time, it's Princess and the Baltic sea, leaving from Copenhagen.

Thanks!

Those you read about boarding and "having lunch 10 min later" have preferred check-in and priority boarding. Check-in is different from boarding.

What you can do is to go to the terminal early, say 10:30am, and you may be able to check-in but not board yet. This way, you will be given an earlier boarding group with non-priority passengers.

You are leaving from Copenhagen. I don't know if procedures have changed at the new pier but when we departed from Copenhagen in 2013, after going through security you were given an assigned seating area. When boarding started the seating areas were called up one by one. After your seating area was called you first were directed to a table to check-in and once that was done you boarded the ship. Our Elite rows were called first and we were directed to one set of tables for check-in. There was a second set of check-in tables and they appeared to be calling rows without priority boarding to go to those tables even before we were finished with check-in. We were on board just before noon and having lunch about 15 minutes later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once the ship is cleared for embarkation, it goes pretty quickly. First to board are Captain's Circle Elite passengers, then Platinum and then General boarding in the order in which you checked in. Depending on how many Platinum and Elite passengers there are, general boarding starts 15-30 minutes after boarding starts. Once onboard, your ID photo is taken with a handheld camera and then you board. You can go to your cabin, drop off your things and then go to lunch.

Full suite passengers get priority embarkation and disembarkation...can anyone explain this?
Full suite and Elite passengers board before Platinum passengers who board before all other passengers. For disembarkation, the "priority" is being able to request your desired disembarkation time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Full suite and Elite passengers board before Platinum passengers who board before all other passengers. For disembarkation, the "priority" is being able to request your desired disembarkation time.

I also had access to a designated lounge on the Golden Princess-the Vista Lounge rather than going to my designated assembly point.

I also had access to a designated lounge on the Golden Princess-the Vista Lounge rather than going to my designated assembly point.
You are correct that is a another perk for Platinum, Elite and full suite passengers but really doesn't have anything to do with the priority disembarkation perk for full suite and Elite passengers.

I don't believe that Elite have priority disembarkation at the end of the cruise - just for tender ports.

Sure they do. We always leave the ship whenever we choose. No problem.

Just select the time of departure & they give it to you or wait in the lounge & leave when you like.

Sure they do. We always leave the ship whenever we choose. No problem.

Just select the time of departure & they give it to you or wait in the lounge & leave when you like.

I don't think that has anything to do with Elite or Suite status. Anyone can choose early walk off and/or pick a different time for disembarkation than they have been given - you just have to trade in your tags.

I don't think that has anything to do with Elite or Suite status. Anyone can choose early walk off and/or pick a different time for disembarkation than they have been given - you just have to trade in your tags.

I'm not positive but I believe the Suites & Elites have priority if there are to many people requesting the same disembarkation time. Not that there's a big difference in time slots anyway.

Thanks everyone!! I think I'll get there earlier than I have in the past. Wish me luck!

I'm confused. In your post you say this is your first Princess cruise. Then you say "Every time we go to embark, we end up in some really really long line and wait forever to get on. But yet I always read about people boarding and having lunch 10 min later!.

The people that say this are talking about the first time boarding, not from a port. But if you've never been on Princess..... how can you say every time?

I'm confused. In your post you say this is your first Princess cruise. Then you say "Every time we go to embark, we end up in some really really long line and wait forever to get on. But yet I always read about people boarding and having lunch 10 min later!.

The people that say this are talking about the first time boarding, not from a port. But if you've never been on Princess..... how can you say every time?

OP has been on three prior cruises but on Carnival. This will be the first Princess cruise.

Wedding parties, if any, will board first. Suite and BVE, if any, will be second. Elites third. Etc.
We have been in a full suite a number of times and have always boarded with the Elites. Another group that typically boards before suite/Elite are those needing boarding assistance.

My experience, both from US ports and International ports, mostly confirms all of the above. Suites board with Elites. First on are BtB cruisers, then Wedding and BVE (usually only at US ports). Since these are not announced publicly but by individuals going to the seating areas for these groups and ushering them onboard, they often are boarding at the same time or very close. Then come Elite and Suite, then Platinum and then the numbered groups with no priority. Boarding for Wheelchair, etc passengers seems to vary. Although many here say differently, I notice that often the handicap passengers board with their respective groups and not in front of everyone, regardless of their status. I wonder if this has to do with the number of people needing wheelchairs and the multitude of "family" members who "have" to board at the same time. Also, there aren't enough Princess employees to to wheel them all on board at once, so it would make more sense to "stagger" their boarding to coincide with their boarding group.