2017 Grand South America and Antartica Cruise - Mini Review

jaspersmycat

I loved this cruise. It is the longest I have done and at no time did it feel too long. The ship was in good condition. My cabin – #336 Oceanview – had plenty of room. Even though the closet space was bigger than most ships, I am not sure I would have had room for a 2nd person’s clothing. Of course, I packed knowing I would have a lot of room.

The ship was is good condition. It will be 30 years old next year so there is some wear and tear but nothing that prevented me from having a great time.

The crew from the Captain on down were friendly and accessible. After 2 weeks I was greeted by name by all of the crew that I had contact with. It seemed like everyone knew our names. There were 627 passengers until Buenos Aires and then 570 for the 2nd segment. There was a crew of 470.

I thought the itinerary was very good. I was disappointed in many of the Brazil stops because they were large cities with reputations for crime. Some crew and passengers were robbed in Recife and Salvador de Bahia. I felt like I either had to take a ship’s excursion or stay on board in these ports. If I did this cruise again, I would only sail as far as Buenos Aires. To clarify, I loved Rio, Boca da Valeria, Parintins, and Manaus in Brazil but only need to see them once.

The dinner menues were not that different than a normal cruise. The food was very good.

My only complaint would be that movies were repeated 2 or 3 times during the cruise. I don’t usually spend time in my cabin watching movies but the few times I looked they were repeats.

Detailed information about each port on my blog including the Grand Cruise differences.

https://www.elsiestravelblog.com

This was the 67 day Grand South America and Antarctica cruise on the ms Prinsendam. It sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale. The only segment port was Buenos Aires where passengers could disembark or embark for a partial cruise.

I just finished binge-reading your blog. Now I know I want to do that cruise! Your photographs are amazing (especially the penguins that looked like they were posing for you). What kind of camera do you have?

How many dam dollars did you end up with and what did you "buy" with them?

Loved playing along with the trivia!

What great blog you have Elsie :)

Thank you so very much for the link :D A very enjoyable read and great pics!

Thanks as well for the mini review.

Much appreciated!

I just finished binge-reading your blog. Now I know I want to do that cruise! Your photographs are amazing (especially the penguins that looked like they were posing for you). What kind of camera do you have?

How many dam dollars did you end up with and what did you "buy" with them?

Loved playing along with the trivia!

I have a Canon Powershot SX50. It has a 500 zoom through the lens and 100 digital zoom.

I collected over 200 dam dollars but gave them all away to friends who wanted a Kindle (200 grand dollars).