Door decorating - how popular is it?

We're less than a month from our departure, and I'm wondering if door decorating is a big deal. We haven't cruised since 2006, and I only recall seeing a handful of doors with decorations back then. Fast forward to now, and we have a young daughter who would probably feel sad if ours is the only door with nothing on it. Just wondering how prevalent it is so I have time to throw something together if I have to.

We were on the Breeze last month and only saw a handful of doors decorated. Personally I am not a fan of the door decorating.

All that I saw decorated were definitely for a special occasion. Birthday, anniversary, just married, etc. Our cruise was also over February 14th so saw a couple Valentines Day themes.

Door decorating has been MUCH more prevalent on the Disney cruises we have been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bwellen

This will be our 5th cruise, and we always see doors that are decorated. I've decorated mine the last two cruises. One thing that I really like about it is that it makes it very easy to find your door ! I have a few cut outs of fish and shells that I stick up with the white tacky stuff you use to put up posters. It doesn't mark anything, and is easy to remove. Be prepared that they might get knocked off by the room steward if he has his hands full while entering your room for freshening. I try to only put a few things up so that they are not in his way.

Perhaps 5 to 10% of cabin doors get decorated. I think the subject comes up more on this board than in real life.

Based on last cruise, that would seem to be high. I only saw 2 decorated doors and walked on at least 4 different floors. It had quite a few older cruisers so maybe mix of the age of cruisers may have lowered the number of decorated doors.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

This will be our 5th cruise, and we always see doors that are decorated. I've decorated mine the last two cruises. One thing that I really like about it is that it makes it very easy to find your door ! I have a few cut outs of fish and shells that I stick up with the white tacky stuff you use to put up posters. It doesn't mark anything, and is easy to remove. Be prepared that they might get knocked off by the room steward if he has his hands full while entering your room for freshening. I try to only put a few things up so that they are not in his way.

And here I thought the numbers were simple enough to find my room [emoji41]

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

That's what I posted about. So if I put a paper decoration and/or sign on the door it will be taken off?

Most likely no... It does depend on a few things, if you are in a high traffic area for crew, then it is more likely that they will ask you to take none approved items down, but if you are near the front of the ship that has less crew walking by then it probably will not be asked.

There are a lot of companies you can use to get stuff that is not flammable, cheap.. Just google search for cruise door signs and they come up.

Also, make sure when putting it on the door you use something that will completely come off. They really frown on things like duct tape, or masking tape. The idea here is that you don't want to damage the door, or make your cabin steward work harder at the end of the cruise.

We decorate sometimes, but not much anymore. If you go on Journey's cruises or Trans-Atlantic cruises you see a lot more decorated. I think it has to do with how many really seasoned cruisers, age and priorities...

That's what I posted about. So if I put a paper decoration and/or sign on the door it will be taken off?

From what I have seen here in the past the answer is: possibly???

Some have reported having them removed and others have not. Not sure who is in charge of enforcing the rule. If it is the room Steward I'm sure some are more strict than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bwellen

I love to decorate my cabin door! I have done it on my last five or so cruises. Never had anything removed even on my New Years Eve cruise when I put beads up expecting people passing by would take them to wear! Have fun planning and making your room a little more you!!!

I put the same ones up each cruise. It is no big deal. I actually have my cruise history typed out (like in my sig) with our names and some colorful stickers, then have an enlargement of a picture I took years ago of the wake in an S shape :eek: (not sure who was steering the boat lol) with 2 poems. I just leave them in my cruise suitcase. I am hoping that if they are not allowed they would leave me a note and I can take them down on my own. I remember once a room steward read our cruise history and said we had been on more cruises than him lol (a NEWBIE obviously! :halo:) Also, DH'es birthday is during the cruise and I am just going to take a small HB banner. I can understand if anything poses a fire hazard, but a few pieces of paper aren't going to make a difference. Heck, they'd have to remove toilet paper and those awesome spa catalogs, etc. they leave in the cabin....JMO, but I'll go with the flow!

We decorate sometimes especially if it's a holiday. Our last cruise we had a aft cabin so it was a long walk back to it and in the middle of the hall someone had balloons on their door, my husband loved them cause they showed him he was almost to our cabin and I head several other people comment that we should all thank these people for the guide markers.

I have always decorated our door, but recently learned from this site that they are no longer permissable?? They have to be fireproof?? Anyone have any information?

Yes, door decorating is permissible, although I have read some comments that there are a couple of captains in the fleet that don't like them and have instructed their staff to remove the decorations. But, that aside, if you decorate, be sure to go to the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page and read what is and is not allowed. The items are supposed to be fire "retardant", not "fireproof". Short of holding the decorations over a lit match, I don't know how any of the ship's staff are able to determine whether or not something is fire retardant. If you use commercially made items, as opposed to something homemade, and follow Carnival's guidelines, there shouldn't be any problems. Also, don't spend a lot of money on decorations. There have been a few reports of decorations on different ships being stolen or vandalized. It doesn't happen too often. But it does happen. Whenever possible, personalize your items by putting your name on them somewhere to reduce the chances of theft.

The big thing now is it has to be fire retardant material. We decorated our door for the first time on our last cruise... it was in December so we did a simple Christmas tree. It does help as we are just walking down quickly to zone in on our door without needing to look at the numbers.... We can get by either way, but the extended family we went with made door decorations for everyone.