NCL increasing daily service charge

rjm11

This subject is far from dead. When people actually start getting charged the higher rate after April 1, I expect to see a new thread started pretty much every day from people who somehow managed to get caught by surprise. Do they not read USA Today???

Well I certainly don't :)

I don't either, I'm Canadian ;)

This is one of the reasons I keep an eye on cruise critic even when I don't have a cruise booked. No surprises...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am booked for October for a re positioning cruise and at close to A$450 in tips I am shocked by the rise. Yes maybe if you are only going a few days this may not seem like much but on some of the long cruises it is not acceptable. My partner and I are on a pension which is quite low this is a huge cruise for us and is already eating into limited savings we are booked in the lowest level cabin for budget reasons. I come from a country where tipping is not expected without superior service this means more then a smile or hello isn't that part of a job description in hospitality. I like to tip those who personally give me higher levels of service in person face to face not just put money into a bottomless pit where no-one actually knows who gets what. The ship I am traveling on is not a usual visitor to our shores and to be truthful I doubt I will book again as the other ships who do visit regularly do not charge this level of tips and they to offer good service. Not all cruisers come from countries where tipping is compulsory.

Oh and yes I do not read USA today I do not live in US either not all cruiser come from US and not all cruisers come from countries that tip. Most of the world does not tip as a compulsory practice. It is not just 49cents extra my dollar is worth much less then the US dollar and I am on a ship who rise is the highest level.

I expect to be blasted for my comment which is a shame but I have seen this before on cruise critic some threads are not friendly at all.

This subject is far from dead. When people actually start getting charged the higher rate after April 1, I expect to see a new thread started pretty much every day from people who somehow managed to get caught by surprise. Do they not read USA Today???

Uhem. We covered the story here at Cruise Critic three days before USA Today did: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7659. ;)

Emails sent to people with upcoming cruises:

17MAR17 Important Information for reservation sailing on Norwegian Breakaway

Norwegian Cruise Lineis making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1,2017. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for gueststo provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest serviceduring the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers andbehind-the-scenes support staff.

The new rates for all ships, except Norwegian Sky are:

$13.99 per person per day for anycategory up to a mini-suite stateroom

$16.99 per person per day for anysuite or Haven category

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2017 will have the option ofprepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date.Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid theirservice charges at the current rate are not affected.

Service charges can be prepaid on My NCLor by contacting our Reservations Department at 800-327-7030.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

I am booked for October for a re positioning cruise and at close to A$450 in tips I am shocked by the rise. Yes maybe if you are only going a few days this may not seem like much but on some of the long cruises it is not acceptable. My partner and I are on a pension which is quite low this is a huge cruise for us and is already eating into limited savings we are booked in the lowest level cabin for budget reasons. I come from a country where tipping is not expected without superior service this means more then a smile or hello isn't that part of a job description in hospitality. I like to tip those who personally give me higher levels of service in person face to face not just put money into a bottomless pit where no-one actually knows who gets what. The ship I am traveling on is not a usual visitor to our shores and to be truthful I doubt I will book again as the other ships who do visit regularly do not charge this level of tips and they to offer good service. Not all cruisers come from countries where tipping is compulsory.

Oh and yes I do not read USA today I do not live in US either not all cruiser come from US and not all cruisers come from countries that tip. Most of the world does not tip as a compulsory practice. It is not just 49cents extra my dollar is worth much less then the US dollar and I am on a ship who rise is the highest level.

I expect to be blasted for my comment which is a shame but I have seen this before on cruise critic some threads are not friendly at all.

The Daily Service Charge is not a gratuity. It is a part of the cruise fees that are to be paid on onbard. IF you pre-pay this DSC now you will pay at the current rate, not the increased one that goes into effect on April 1st.

This subject has now been done to the death
It is not a dead subject to those who are just booking their cruise and coming here for information. A topic seems done to death to those who come here everyday....yes, I guess it could get boring to see the same threads. But I don't click on the ones that I've read and have already been talked about.

So glad you saved that 49¢ a day!
Well the thing is...someone mentioned that they raised the rate 3 times last year. So if you are just now booking a cruise for 2018 there's a possibility that 49 cents can turn into a dollar. 2 people in a cabin for a 14 day cruise like we booked for 2018, means an extra $28. I like to save where ever I can.............so I prepaid before it goes up.

Uhem. We covered the story here at Cruise Critic three days before USA Today did: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7659. ;)

Yup - and a Cruise Critic forum member reported the story three days before that.

The thread has since been deleted... no surprise as to why. Was here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2472233

Emails sent to people with upcoming cruises:

17MAR17 Important Information for reservation sailing on Norwegian Breakaway

Norwegian Cruise Lineis making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1,2017. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for gueststo provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest serviceduring the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers andbehind-the-scenes support staff.

The new rates for all ships, except Norwegian Sky are:

$13.99 per person per day for anycategory up to a mini-suite stateroom

$16.99 per person per day for anysuite or Haven category

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2017 will have the option ofprepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date.Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid theirservice charges at the current rate are not affected.

Service charges can be prepaid on My NCLor by contacting our Reservations Department at 800-327-7030.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

I guess not all of us got that email.........i know I didn't. If I don't come here I generally don't find this stuff out.

Well the thing is...someone mentioned that they raised the rate 3 times last year.
Whoever said that was wrong. This is how the rate has gone up over the years:

• through 2008: $10
  • January 1, 2009: $12
  • sometime in 2010: $12.50
  • March 1, 2015: $12.95
  • July 31, 2015: $13.50
  • April 1, 2017: $13.95

No way to predict when the next increase will be, but maybe you're right that it'll go up to $14.50 by 2018. When it hits $15 per person per day in a normal stateroom, I think that will be a breaking point for many people. But what's the alternative, because all the other mainstream lines are doing exactly the same thing.

Actually, some lines (including NCL) already have an alternative, which is cruise fares that include the service charge, but these are only offered in certain regional markets (like France and Germany in the case of NCL, but anyone can book them).

Sorry but a so called service fee is a gratuity just by another name. I just googled it an google agrees IMO "same same only different". Its all gouging the customer and as hawkeyetlse says a breaking point for many.

The last couple of days I had thought of going on another cruise but maybe not. I would never need to pay a service fee/gratuity everyday here in Australia even if I ate out each day at a buffet restaurant so why pay each day for that when its against your grain/custom.

Its a pity really I only just rediscovered cruising in the last 2 yrs hadn't done it for 20yrs before that it seemed cheap. However when you look at the price they charge for extras it not so cheap at all.

Sorry but a so called service fee is a gratuity just by another name. I just googled it an google agrees IMO "same same only different". Its all gouging the customer and as hawkeyetlse says a breaking point for many.

While you're on that fancy google website, you should look up price gouging. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm not going to blast you, but I don't agree with you.

I am also from a country where tipping isn't common these days. However, I have booked with a cruise company that is based in Miami, so I expect that it will be required.

So, I take it into account when booking. I add the gratuity when booking, and the price I see on my confirmation is what I will pay. I can compare that price to other options to decide whether it is the best use of mu holiday funds.

This increase is irrelevant for the cruises I have booked, as that price is fixed. When I next book, I will take into account the new price (although I'm not sure it has actually increased for those prepaying in different countries).

I know that people can get caught out if they are unaware of the service charge in advance, but if you are spending this sort of money, especially when travelling overseas, then it really makes sense to check this stuff out, or employ a good travel agent who you can rely on to let you know.

You are aware that you can avoid the increase by prepaying aren't you? It sounds like that would work well for you anyway if you aren't used to tipping. Just pay it and forget about it.

I would never need to pay a service fee/gratuity everyday here in Australia even if I ate out each day at a buffet restaurant so why pay each day for that when its against your grain/custom.

Sorry, another thing I disagree with you about.

You are leaving Australia, so you may come across many things that are against your grain/custom. That's what happens when you travel.

This may have been covered here, but I hadn't seen it yet. My TA called me about my cruise next year and suggested pre-paying now (which I did) to get the lower rate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/03/20/norwegian-cruise-service-charge-gratuity/99331992/

This must be the 4th thread on this; glad you pre paid, we did the same. We got notified by both our agent and NCL.

I expect to be blasted for my comment which is a shame but I have seen this before on cruise critic some I am not sure anyone is blasting anyone here, just mentioning a slight increase; as for cruising on a line that does not have the tip requirements, I would have to guess they are not usual lines that sail as all mass mareted linew now have the policy with some beig a little lower and some a little higher. Of course there are luxury liners that handle tipping differently but they charge a luxury price as well.

To me, this subject was FAR from beaten to death. We are booked for a 4/2 sailing and I did not hear hide nor hair of this increase until I came here and saw it. I don't come here every day so I saw only one post. This one.

And I'm glad I did because I otherwise wouldn't have bothered to pre-pay the DSC. No, ~$6 is not a big deal. It is the principle. I was in NO WAY notified, therefore, would have been annoyed come the last day of my cruise.

Not a fun way to end what I'm otherwise expecting to be a fantastic trip with my daughter.

To me, this subject was FAR from beaten to death. We are booked for a 4/2 sailing and I did not hear hide nor hair of this increase until I came here and saw it. I don't come here every day so I saw only one post. This one.

And I'm glad I did because I otherwise wouldn't have bothered to pre-pay the DSC. No, ~$6 is not a big deal. It is the principle. I was in NO WAY notified, therefore, would have been annoyed come the last day of my cruise.

Not a fun way to end what I'm otherwise expecting to be a fantastic trip with my daughter.

I'm not upset about the increase, but our cruise is in May, there are 7 of us, and I have yet to be notified. I heard about the increase here, and prepaid.

for the .49 per day per person, we wont be prepaying for a 7 day sailing.

our 14 day sailing in a suite, however, we will prepay. that's a $42 savings. but you have until 2 days prior to sail to pre-pay at the old rate so im not going to give NCL use of my money interest free any further in advance than i need to.

This will be my last post for this subject. I suspected I would regret my participation.

KeithJenner I do not live in some kind of outpost shut off from the outside world I have traveled over the last 40 odd years in my youth right through to my retirement when money was still coming in. This included the UK Europe Asia and the South Pacific so yes I have left Australia. I do understand that each country is different in many ways customs values etc, I have learned many things from those I have met and places I have visited including that I was very lucky to be born in Australia I appreciate that every day.

It is our circumstances now as a full pensioners with very limited funds so it is the unexpected rises in the cost of my cruise that upsets me. I understand the ship I am booked on will rise to US$18 a day that is A$23.50 x 2 that could go up as our dollar changes daily against the US. Someone booked on my cruise got a different email then the one posted here.

You may not like the way I express myself but the feeling is mutual. I am not totally against service charge/gratuities it is that someone tells me just how much I MUST pay. I will as I have stated before give directly to those who I personally deal with who offer me great service and with whom I have developed a rapport especially the cabin staff. I will give them what my pocket can afford usually a lump sum as well as Australian souvenirs for family members. I would not do this everyday as being charged by NCL.

BTW newmexiconita in Australia we have P&O Carnival Celebrity Princess RCCL now Azamara yearly & Cunard come here on world tours all three and numerous others who make special visits to the Southern Hemisphere in the Northern winter including now NCL. So we do get our fare share of international cruise lines just not the wide variety of ships. Cruising has become one of the fastest growing areas of tourism in Australia. I first cruised in 1974 it was a small sector then now our docks can barely keep up with demand its popular.