Tip in Speciality Restaurants

kqcallahan

This is not meant to cause a "to tip" fuss. Just curious if there is a gratuity auto-included when you leave? (like when you buy a drink) or is it something you put in yourself.

I do understand that even if it's included I can add more just trying to get some info.

Thanks!!

No auto gratutity added in the speciality restaurants.

Really? Since when? I've always thought that there was a gratuity included in the fee. You may, of course, tip more. The waitstaff works there just for tips?:confused::eek::(

According to Celebrity, "This [daily] gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience." Nowhere does it indicate that specialty restaurant staff are excluded from "Dining & CulinaryServices Staff".

You are always welcome to tip over and above should you feel that the service warrants it.

I'm not an authority on this, but this CC article would indicate that, unless X is an oddity, the tip is already included in the charge:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2077&et_cid=2921659&et_rid=80868216&et_referrer=Boards

Thanks for posting this link it really answers questions a lot of us are unsure of.I usually leave an extra $10 dollars if the service warrants it.

love sailing with RCCL

7 Times You Shouldn't Tip on a Cruise

By Dan Askin, Cruise Critic Contributor; Erica Silverstein, Senior Editor

7-times-to-not-tip-hero.jpg

Many cruise travelers are confused about when, whom and how much to tip. Most mainstream lines automatically charge passengers a daily gratuity, yet still expect them to fork over cash for luggage porters, room service deliverers and tour guides. But what about the nice waiter who carries your plate at the buffet or the spa therapist who just reduced your tension-filled body to JELL-O?

You can learn more about when to tip in our insider's guide to cruise tipping. Here, we tackle seven times when you shouldn't tip.

Don't tip when...

1. You buy a drink.

2. You're sailing luxury.

3. You're dining at the specialty restaurant.

Paying $30 for surf-and-turf at the for-fee restaurant usually means there's no need to tip on top. Gratuities are almost always included in that rate or, on some lines like MSC Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line, automatically added on top of your final bill. (If you're unsure, do some research before you dine.)

4. It's already on the spa receipt

5. Your kids spend all day in the kids club, letting you have adult time onboard.

6. The plumber fixes your shower or toilet.

7. The captain keeps you safe or the cruise director makes milk come out of your nose.

I'm not an authority on this, but this CC article would indicate that, unless X is an oddity, the tip is already included in the charge:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2077&et_cid=2921659&et_rid=80868216&et_referrer=Boards

This article is why I'm double-checking. I want to know going in if X is an oddity or not :confused:

On my recent cruise on the silhouette I had a specialty dining package. At the end of the meal I received a check with a zero balance. It stated an 18% gratuity was included but left the option to leave an additional tip to recognize excellent service. I usually left $5-10 as service was outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also read that article. I am by no means a newbie cruiser and have broken Rules 1, 3 and 4. If I like the service, I tip. Having a pool waiter who brings you fresh delicious drinks on crowded busy days is worth $1 here and there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since dinner is included in your cruise package, I always assumed that the $30 to $50 per person you are charged is the gratuity. Therefore I expect exceptional service. I already paid for it!

Since dinner is included in your cruise package, I always assumed that the $30 to $50 per person you are charged is the gratuity. Therefore I expect exceptional service. I already paid for it!

Dinner in the main dining room and buffet are included in your fare, NOT dinner at specialty venues which generally use more expensive ingredients. A portion of the cover charge goes to the servers as gratuity - but FAR from the entire amount. The cruise line retains the majority of the cover charge to pay for the increased food cost and other expenses (such as nicer serving pieces) as well as keeps a chunk for profit (there is a reason the newer ships have so many specialty venues, the cruise line makes money off them). Since a basic gratuity is included in the cover charge one certainly does not need to feel compelled to tide extra, but if one receives excellent service it certainly is appreciated and a nice thing to do to reward the hard working staff.

No-one can disagree with that excellent comment.

love sailing with RCCL

Dinner in the main dining room and buffet are included in your fare, NOT dinner at specialty venues which generally use more expensive ingredients. A portion of the cover charge goes to the servers as gratuity - but FAR from the entire amount. The cruise line retains the majority of the cover charge to pay for the increased food cost and other expenses (such as nicer serving pieces) as well as keeps a chunk for profit (there is a reason the newer ships have so many specialty venues, the cruise line makes money off them). Since a basic gratuity is included in the cover charge one certainly does not need to feel compelled to tide extra, but if one receives excellent service it certainly is appreciated and a nice thing to do to reward the hard working staff.

The food and service is better in the specialty restaurants and we go in at least 1 every cruise but you do pay an additional charge for this.

love sailing with RCCL