Which line/ship for Alaska?

EeyoreFan1967

Maybe me too! Do you know the name of the ship and when it will be available?

Bliss. I cruised her sister ship, Escape, and it was BY FAR the most crowded and chaotic ship on which I have ever cruised. This is just my own humble opinion....I actually loved the ship, but I would never want to cruise that ship class in Alaska and with 4000 passengers (more with 3rd and 4th berths filled), I wouldn't want to be in port with her.

Sorry...I'm just not a fan of the monstrosities going to Alaska. It's easy to avoid booking them, but it's not easy to avoid them when you're stuck in port next to them. :rolleyes:

Princess, HAL, Norwegian, Carnival and Crystal Cruiselines are the only ones who currently hold contracts and permits to be in Glacier Bay Nat. Park. These contracts will all end on Sept 30, 2019. Thus far, they have held a rather unfair monopoly on the ability to include Glacier Bay in their itineraries.

So, in a year or two, the advice about Princess and HAL, who hold the most permits, may likely be null and void. I saw absolutely no difference between the Glacier Bay experience cruise on HAL and Norwegian (except HAL serves pea soup on deck.)

Some people claim that Princess and HAL do Alaska better because they have been there the longest (which is why they have been given priority on the GB permits.) Since most savvy cruisers book private excursions, that reasoning is flawed.

So, if you really feel that this will be your one and only time to do Alaska, choose a sailing that includes Glacier Bay. We have been to Alaska three times and loved each cruise.

BTW- Norwegian is currently building a new ship that is designed for Alaskan cruising. That may be my next cruise!

The reason these lines can go to Glacier Bay and not some other lines has nothing to do with seniority or preferential treatment by the Parks. As noted, Glacier Bay is a National Park and it's waters are subject to protection as such. Some lines have been BANNED from cruising Glacier Bay because of illegal dumping there.

ANCHORAGE (AP) Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002

The state sued Royal Caribbean Cruise Line for illegal dumping of oil and chemicals in Alaska water. The suit resulted in a $3.5 million settlement Royal Caribbean agreed to pay in January 2000. The company was put on probation and barred from entering Glacier Bay National Park near Juneau for several years.

We prefer Princess for Alaska. Having a naturalist on board really enhances the experience for us. Although subjective, the smaller cruise lines like Lindblad, UnCruise and Alaska Dream do even a better job in Alaska. They fall into a different category but have permits for Glacier Bay. UnCruise overnights in Glacier Bay and, as an example, all three sail past South Marble Island past sea lion haul outs and a seabird colonies. The larger lines sail to the left and miss it. If you want an exceptional Alaska experience, those 3 lines can do it. If want more of a balance between seeing Alaska and on board activities, the main lines work.

We prefer Princess for Alaska. Having a naturalist on board really enhances the experience for us. Although subjective, the smaller cruise lines like Lindblad, UnCruise and Alaska Dream do even a better job in Alaska. They fall into a different category but have permits for Glacier Bay. UnCruise overnights in Glacier Bay and, as an example, all three sail past South Marble Island past sea lion haul outs and a seabird colonies. The larger lines sail to the left and miss it. If you want an exceptional Alaska experience, those 3 lines can do it. If want more of a balance between seeing Alaska and on board activities, the main lines work.

Thanks for this tip! I have seen ads for UnCruise but have never heard of the others. I think we need to stay with at least some on-board activities, at least our first family trip!

A little research affirms my comments that HAL and Princess are awarded the lion's share of the cruise ship permits for Glacier Bay. This comes from the NPS website and you can even access the specific contracts for all five cruise lines who hold permits:

Cruise Ship Concession Authorizations

Cruise ship services are authorized under concession contracts. A specific number of entries/use days are allocated to specific Cruise ship concessioners to operate in Glacier Bay during the prime season, June - August. These concessioners then coordinate their scheduling to insure compliance with the daily and seasonal limits. Two Concessioners (Holland/America and Princess Cruises) are currently historical operators, as defined by ANILCA section 1307, which entitles them to non-competitively continue their historic use (seventy-one entries), 36CFR, Sec. 13.305. The remaining entries have been competitively allocated. If you are interested in providing cruiseship services in Glacier Bay during the shoulder season, please contact the concession staff below for information on submitting a proposal.

The reason these lines can go to Glacier Bay and not some other lines has nothing to do with seniority or preferential treatment by the Parks. As noted, Glacier Bay is a National Park and it's waters are subject to protection as such. Some lines have been BANNED from cruising Glacier Bay because of illegal dumping there.

ANCHORAGE (AP) Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002

The state sued Royal Caribbean Cruise Line for illegal dumping of oil and chemicals in Alaska water. The suit resulted in a $3.5 million settlement Royal Caribbean agreed to pay in January 2000. The company was put on probation and barred from entering Glacier Bay National Park near Juneau for several years.

That's kind of ironic considering Princess was recently fined the highest penalty ever for an environmental crime by a cruise line (40 million dollars).