Pacific coast cruise

philbob84

Hi all,

I noticed there is usually a April and October repo cruise between SEA/BC and SD I was curious if anyone could tell me there experiences on them? Also is it typically a older crowed? I'm in my early 30's but it seems like it would be fun to me.

Thanks!

The Pacific Coastal is fun and hey, any day on a ship is better than Monday at work!;p Ours had all ages. The bonus is they are usually priced pretty reasonably. :cool: Would do it again when the opportunity arises.

The Pacific Coastal is fun and hey, any day on a ship is better than Monday at work!;p Ours had all ages. The bonus is they are usually priced pretty reasonably. :cool: Would do it again when the opportunity arises.

Agreed! Im not a wild guy by any-means but i was curious

The passengers are younger than a typical HAL cruise. Many people are from the West Coast of US and Canada.

A bit more active in the evenings.

Prices are very reasonable and the Neptunes sell out quickly.

Minor service issues can arise due to (IMO) a non-typical HAL itinerary and crew does not have a "routine" established.

When we do one of these, we normally spend a couple of days on either (or both) ends, to make the trip worth coming all the way from Oklahoma.

Our first HAL cruise was a San Diego to Vancouver BC repositioning cruise. It was fine in all regards. Having said that, we may not do it again for a couple reasons particular to our situation:

1. The HAL repositioning cruises along the western USA coast tend to be midweek (there are exceptions) thus making no use of the weekend for working people.

2. We live in San Diego and so we can do a 7-day Mexican cruise for about the same price as we would would not have to pay for any airfare. The repositioning cruise requires a one-way flight to/from Vancouver BC.

igraf

Hi all,

I noticed there is usually a April and October repo cruise between SEA/BC and SD I was curious if anyone could tell me there experiences on them? Also is it typically a older crowed? I'm in my early 30's but it seems like it would be fun to me.

Thanks!

I too did the Vancouver to San Diego segment.... thoughts...

• I think prices in the Fall are generally cheaper the Spring.
  • on the Amsterdam last Fall....I think they sailed with some empty cabins as the MDR lines were shorter than other cruises I've been on. It's likely they were ramping up for larger crowds going to Hawaii and the around the world trip.
  • It's been discussed that combining the San Diego with the Vancouver to Seattle segment may be a challenge due to the Jones Act. Best to take the bus or plan to use a second ship to avoid problems.
  • I did a Catalina excursion. In my 40s.... I had no problems with the walking tour, I can say yes there were a lot of retiree's. They struggled in the heat.
  • travel at that time of year will have less young people due to school and work.

Edited by xlxo

I've done both a one day between Vancouver and Seattle and a four & five day from Vancouver to San Diego. The one day does not give you much time to experience the ship. It is definitely a different crowd. There were lots of families and many people under the age of 30. The MDR dinner menu was not quite up to the standards of a regular cruise; more basic menu items rather than the usual items. It was okay, just nothing special. The one day cruise is more of a party cruise but we were not disturbed by any noise during the night.

The four/five day cruises are quite nice and give one more time to experience the ship and relax. IMO, they're still too short but if that's all one can do due to vacation/budget constraints, they're a great way to see ports that aren't on a regular itinerary.

Dave makes a good point about the crew not having a routine. They're often busy/exhausted from all of the turnaround days. That will be very much noticeable on the one day cruise. By the second or third day of the longer cruise, they'll be better (until the next turnaround day).

I think prices in the Fall are generally cheaper the Spring.

Sort of surprises me since the weather would generally be better in Fall - even October can be nice in Seattle, better chance than April anyway.

Even with one-way air to/from CA one of these is on our radar now that we live near Seattle again.

We have done quite a few of these, anything from a 1-day (once, never again) to 7-day (Celebrity offers great Pacific Coastals). But most have been 3-4 days with HAL. As others have said, we extend our vacation at the other end. We'll be going on a 7-day with Celebrity in September. It ends in LA, where we'll visit relatives. It's a great way for those of us on the west coast to get a short vacation between longer cruises. ;)

Depending on the time of year, we usually see all ages on these cruises.

We did one by accident. We booked the 53 day Tales of the South Pacific leaving from Seattle last year on the Amsterdam. The first night was a one day cruise to Vancouver. The ship was less than half filled and the people we saw were there to make the most of their one day. More drinking than a normal HAL cruise. From Vancouver it was a 4 day coastal cruise, more people but still not filled. We started with a few of us on for 53 days, got more in Vancouver who were doing 52 days, but the Tales of the South Pacific really didn't get started until San Diego for 48 days. There was a substantial crew change in San Diego and it seemed as if the old experienced staff, use to long cruises, joined the ship there.

all very good to know. I should note im from Seattle so getting there is easy for me. I think you all sold me on it. Im glad there might be a younger crowed not that I wouldnt of enjoyed any guests. One last questions what have people enjoyed more? April or Oct?

all very good to know. I should note im from Seattle so getting there is easy for me. I think you all sold me on it. Im glad there might be a younger crowed not that I wouldnt of enjoyed any guests. One last questions what have people enjoyed more? April or Oct?

Most of ours have been late September, just because we prefer sailing south and flying back (we live near Seattle). The weather has been good, usually better than in April with one exception. Zuiderdam cruise 2013 late September, we had a bad storm that made national news. Cruises were canceled right after we left. Decks were closed off the first few days, and I was seasick for the first and only time. :D This was the only time we've had that happen, so you just never know. :)

Hi all,

Thanks!

We were on a Pacific coast positioning cruise in the month of May – San Diego to Vancouver. The ports were great but the weather was incredibly uncooperative. For the entire 6 days, weather was cold, wet, cloudy, windy and very dreary. It was impossible to enjoy the balcony unless you were bundled up.

It is a huge coastline and I couldn’t believe how consistently miserable the weather was all week.

I don’t know if this weather was typical for May but it was an eye opener. If weather isn’t an issue for you it is great; if it is important to your vacation experience, it something to consider.

We did one by accident. We booked the 53 day Tales of the South Pacific leaving from Seattle last year on the Amsterdam. The first night was a one day cruise to Vancouver. The ship was less than half filled and the people we saw were there to make the most of their one day. More drinking than a normal HAL cruise. From Vancouver it was a 4 day coastal cruise, more people but still not filled. We started with a few of us on for 53 days, got more in Vancouver who were doing 52 days, but the Tales of the South Pacific really didn't get started until San Diego for 48 days. There was a substantial crew change in San Diego and it seemed as if the old experienced staff, use to long cruises, joined the ship there.
I was on the same ship as you.... love the great service between Vancouver and San Diego. I was wondering why the MDR lines were so short.

We have done quite a few of these, anything from a 1-day (once, never again) to 7-day (Celebrity offers great Pacific Coastals). But most have been 3-4 days with HAL.

We chose the same cruise for 2018. Though if I could do a 3/4 day B2B, added to Alaska, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I don’t know if this weather was typical for May

Sounds about right. Typically by August a big high pressure ridge has set up over the Pacific coast and lasts until early October. But in May there is still cold air aloft and water temps are at their coldest too so pop up heavy showers and often several days of low marine layer drizzle and clouds will set up too and for a 3-4 day cruise that can be for the whole thing.

Having done the full repositioning from FLL to Vancouver several times in the spring, yes I can say the weather is definitely cooler between San Diego and Vancouver than for the southbound repositioning at the end of the Alaska season, and the seas are usually quite choppy. I have done the southbound and it's much better in that direction, at that time of year.