Credit Card and Room Safe

For me, if I had more than myself in a cabin, ONE expired card would be used and I would take it with me when out of the cabin. If someone needed to go get back into the safe, they would have to get the card from me first. So far I haven't cruised with anyone whom I was away from outside of the cabin tho. So I have no suggestions for that

I had exactly this happen with an old gift card. Better that then my S&S card. Punch a hole in it and put it on your lanyard or keep it wherever you keep your S&S card. They tell you not to use your S&S card, but do whatever you want.

Don't know who "they" are, but "they" have never told me that. :)

It is posted in the safe not to use your S&S.

I was told that it is best not to use it as the steward will then have access to your safe.

I trust the room stewards as much as the next person, so I have no concerns whatsoever in using my sail and sign card. I use a carnival gift card sometimes, too. I keep it in my wallet, or in my waterproof box on my lanyard.

If you are taking a gift card to use for the safe, keep in mind it will probably need to have the wide magnetic strip on the back, the narrow one is very finicky.

Before anyone wants to debate me on this, I say this is what I know from experience, to each their own, and happy cruising!

It is because people assume the stewards can access your safe since they can access your stateroom and you will never convince someone who starts accusing stewards of stealing that it isn't true. Lots of cash goes missing from safes because someone traveling with them takes it, denies it and accuses the stewards.

Hi there

Here is an idea for all of the people that really think that almost everybody is trying to steal their valuables.

This is how it works. So, as someone else suggested just put the card somewhere innocuous, something like your sock drawer, or with your dirty cloths. Now to throw them off, leave about a half dozen old gift cards, library cards, anything with a magnetic strip, just lying around. This will confuse them. That's just the start, what will really get them though...because you have thought this through, don't leave anything valuable in your safe. Lock it in your suitcase. They will never figure that one out. :D

I just wonder who is it that you think is going to be going through your cabin like this. Just reading this site, you will see many people who leave valuables out in the open and have never had a problem. Maybe some are just overthinking this.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hi there

Here is an idea for all of the people that really think that almost everybody is trying to steal their valuables.

This is how it works. So, as someone else suggested just put the card somewhere innocuous, something like your sock drawer, or with your dirty cloths. Now to throw them off, leave about a half dozen old gift cards, library cards, anything with a magnetic strip, just lying around. This will confuse them. That's just the start, what will really get them though...because you have thought this through, don't leave anything valuable in your safe. Lock it in your suitcase. They will never figure that one out. :D

I just wonder who is it that you think is going to be going through your cabin like this. Just reading this site, you will see many people who leave valuables out in the open and have never had a problem. Maybe some are just overthinking this.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I have read about people having their valuables stolen that aren't put in the safe. What planet do you live on where this doesn't happen? I want to move there. :p

I have read about people having their valuables stolen that aren't put in the safe. What planet do you live on where this doesn't happen? I want to move there. :p

maybe you can show me the last time it was posted on this site...it just doesn't happen that often.

Not everyone posts on CC, but here is the latest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2458472&highlight=items+stolen+from+room

Do a search.

Well, after reading, it was exactly as I expected. Overwhelmingly (in this series of posts), most people have never had any problems with theft even leaving valuables on desks and safes open. I especially liked the one where the lady was talking about how the cabin steward had found the 2 carat diamond earrings she had lost.

I agree it is not something that I would suggest as a norm but I would hardly think that it would be something to fret over. It just doesn't happen that often, and my main point and question was that who do you think is able to spend the time searching for a card to a safe that may not even be there?

I guess I am just saying that you should use the safe because they provide them but I don't think these people take these jobs just to steal from people like you and me.

Well, after reading, it was exactly as I expected. Overwhelmingly (in this series of posts), most people have never had any problems with theft even leaving valuables on desks and safes open. I especially liked the one where the lady was talking about how the cabin steward had found the 2 carat diamond earrings she had lost.

I agree it is not something that I would suggest as a norm but I would hardly think that it would be something to fret over. It just doesn't happen that often, and my main point and question was that who do you think is able to spend the time searching for a card to a safe that may not even be there?

I guess I am just saying that you should use the safe because they provide them but I don't think these people take these jobs just to steal from people like you and me.

Well you just stay in the nice little bubble you live in.

Hi there

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Ah yes, because anyone who uses the safe must be foolish and paranoid, right? I get that you think you're being funny and cute, but in the end, you just come off as pompous. Using the safe doesn't mean that we think everyone is "trying to steal our valuables," as you put it. It is merely a precautionary measure. Do you have a safe in your home? If so, why, do you believe everybody is trying to steal your valuables? Do you lock your doors? Lock your car? It doesn't matter if only one valuable item had ever been stolen in the history of cruising, that's enough for anyone to want to secure their belongings, and justifiably so.

Well now that the Bibles are gone, I'm not telling :)

I liked the keypad safe much better on Vista. Wish they would roll them out fleet wide.

We've had both. We had the CC slide on the Valor in March last year and the key pad in October on the Ecstasy. I much prefer the key pad ... I won't leave my CC in the room, so the DH had to carry it around. Not a fan.

It's just common sense to lock your stuff up, not paranoia. I would not feel comfortable leaving my cash lying around in my room. And when I go out on excursions I don't want to wear my wedding rings so I leave those in the safe too. Excursions are probably pretty safe, but why take the chance? Also I worry about my rings falling off when I'm swimming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a hole in mine in the corner along with my cabin card and I wear it around my neck. They go face to face so no one can see anything. I never put them in the plastic holders around my neck that is why I have a hole in it. The ship will punch holes for you.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a lockable suitcase under your bed, you may want to use it. We do for bulkier stuff like an iPad. A. It's not obvious, B. Someone would have to cut the suitcase open to get at the contents, and who would do that? And the theft could easily be traced.

They say not to as it can demagnetize your card then you have to take a trip to GS when you can't get back into your cabin. Use an old gift card.

Would you rather it demagnetized your credit card instead. I just used my sail n sign card since you usually have that with you anyway.

Would you rather it demagnetized your credit card instead. I just used my sail n sign card since you usually have that with you anyway.

As I said, I use an old gift card, not a credit card mainly due to that very reason. And yes, I would rather have it demagnetize that (which is what happened before) than my S&S card or credit card.

Not my pic

314ad2d7a2df00f70c3bc8d423d6e4ef.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

As I said, I use an old gift card, not a credit card mainly due to that very reason. And yes, I would rather have it demagnetize that (which is what happened before) than my S&S card or credit card.

Not my pic

314ad2d7a2df00f70c3bc8d423d6e4ef.jpg

First time I've seen that notice but that statement is to definitive. "Will" deactivate the card and the safe? No, it "may". In any event I'll keep using my cabin card since that is most convenient for me. If it does end up being deactivated I'll deal with it then.

First time I've seen that notice but that statement is to definitive. "Will" deactivate the card and the safe? No, it "may". In any event I'll keep using my cabin card since that is most convenient for me. If it does end up being deactivated I'll deal with it then.

with an electronics background, I know it Won't. the system simply reads the data on track 2 of the card as you swipe to lock then compares it the next time a card it swiped if a match it unlocks if not it doesn't, there is NO difference in the mag stripes on the room keys vs a credit card save for the data on it.

They may just have that there as a steward can easily get a replacement room key and if that's what is used then access the safe. ( not saying they will but they COULD. I agree the sale and sign card is the most convenient and something that generally ISNT left in the room.