Credit Card and Room Safe

Just wrap it up in your dirty underwear. After a long, hot day of activities, if anyone wants to dig the card out of there, they probably deserve it. ;p

I think posting your safe card hiding spots on a public forum is a GREAT idea! No one should be able to find it after reading this thread!
Because someone's going to figure out who we are from our forum username, figure out which cruise we're on, just happen to be on the same cruise or book the same cruise after they find out where we hide our cards, figure out which cabin we're staying in, then somehow get into said cabin.

Your cabin stewards are the only ones who go inside your room on a regular basis and I'm sure if they really wanted to find a hidden card, they don't need this forum to figure out all of the usual hiding spots. And if something does end up stolen, the list of probable suspects is a very short one.

Think outside the box if you're that concerned about someone opening your safe.

- unroll a long strand of TP off the roll, place the designated card against the remainder of the roll, and re-roll the TP you rolled out. Will it be perfect? No. But no one will ever think to look there unless the steward wants to put on a fresh roll of TP

- take a bottle of water with a label, undo the label, hide the card between the label and bottle, use a small piece of tape to secure the label back together. Face the bottle of water with the name brand facing out, your card should be on the opposite side of the bottle, and voila, another hiding spot that won't get a second glance.

- take your designated card, stick some two sided tape to it, and tape it to the underside of a dresser drawer. There's another one for you.

Just a few ideas.

Can you use your s&s card? It has a magnetic strip. Just a thought that way you don't have to worry about people searching in all the hiding spots mention hear. ��

I don't know if it would work with multiple cards. They should have the same coding to unlock the cabin door. Might need to try it out.

I use my S&S card.

Where do you hide your credit card to open your safe? In talking with friends we all leave our safe opening card in our underware drawer so our spouse can gain access if we aren't together. If we are all using the same hiding spot it doesn't seem very secure!! Any ideas?

Thanks!!

They are only on the older ships. Newer ones have a code pad.

Your S&S card will demagnetize it-possibly invalidating the card to get back in your room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The reader in the safe will demagnetize it but the reader in the door won't? Sorry, that does not compute at all. I think they say that because they have no other explanation for it.

tumblr_inline_mn2h0r116r1qz4rgp.gif

The reader in the safe will demagnetize it but the reader in the door won't? Sorry, that does not compute at all. I think they say that because they have no other explanation for it.

Spock Lives ! :D

Think about this for a second. Your sail and sign card opens your cabin door, so does your room stewards.:o

Only the card that is used to lock the safe can unlock it, so if I use my S&S card to lock it DW's card won't unlock it.

Think about this for a second. Your sail and sign card opens your cabin door, so does your room stewards.:o

That shouldn't allow them allow them to get into my safe. Each card should have a unique card number encoded on it. Then when they print your card it should add your vfip number to it. That's like saying if I lost my s&s card and you found it, you could get into my room the entire cruise. They'd remove that card number from being able to access my room. I'd bet the stewards have one card and the number that is encoded on that card is added to all of the rooms they clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Saint Greg

That shouldn't allow them allow them to get into my safe. Each card should have a unique card number encoded on it. Then when they print your card it should add your vfip number to it. That's like saying if I lost my s&s card and you found it, you could get into my room the entire cruise. They'd remove that card number from being able to access my room. I'd bet the stewards have one card and the number that is encoded on that card is added to all of the rooms they clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OH no wonder Carnival ask you not to use your sail and sign card for the safe :cool:. Would that be so on the older ships ?

Edited by BoDidly

I have had that happen with our S&S key even when not using it for the safe. Luckily we were together so at least we could get into the cabin.

I don't know the mechanics behind it, all I know is what I've been told by at least 3 different Ship's Department Heads, two of which were Officers. Maybe the safes have a higher incidence vs the door locks because you have to swipe it all the way through instead of just inserting a small portion. Or maybe they have a lot of S&S cards that end up getting demagnetized and found the safe to be the culprit. I honestly have no idea. They must have a reason for it so I'll stick with what they tell me and not risk being locked out.

It doesn't make any sense to me not to use another card because, like you said, even when using a S&S card, only the one person's works. So why not just use an old gift card and reduce your risk of being locked out? It would really stink to try and ding off the ship to find out that your card doesn't work so then you get to get out of line, go to GS, get a new one, and get back in line (assuming the A PASS system uses that same magnetic strip).

I honestly have no idea. They must have a reason for it so I'll stick with what they tell me and not risk being locked out.

The reason is the cards are cheap. They are designed for short term use where the data can be written and rewritten easily. Hotels and cruise lines also don't typically maintain the encoding equipment properly which results in garbled and less reliable cards.

The reason is the cards are cheap. They are designed for short term use where the data can be written and rewritten easily. Hotels and cruise lines also don't typically maintain the encoding equipment properly which results in garbled and less reliable cards.

So basically the more you use it the more chances there are of it crapping out?