Long Time Lurker First Time Poster Questions About RCCL Bookings

Hello, I have been lurking for a while, registered a few weeks ago and have some questions about bookings. A little history, I went on one cruise w/my then girlfriend now wife about 15 years ago, a 3 day NCL to the Bahamas. Wife has gone on several on different lines w/friends. Cruising is more her thing but I'm open to going again.

So here are the questions:

1. I have a specific cruise picked out that should fit several hectic schedules and I even did a little research on staterooms. I then went on RCCL's website to book. The stateroom I was looking at was not available. However, when I tried a couple of the Cruise Critic partners for booking to see if there was a significant price difference, the stateroom I wanted was available, as were a couple close to it that would be acceptable. Has anyone had that happen before? Should I call the various web TAs (are they really TAs? I will assume they are for this) and make them confirm that the specific stateroom is available?

2. Assuming I can get the specific cabin through one of the online TAs, are there any other real benefits to any of the online TAs? A lot of what they offer I don't need, we live in So. Fla. so no need for hotel vouchers and things like that. Just wondering if there are any hidden perks with any of them. Also, are there any downsides that anyone is aware of in using them?

3. I read about "Wave Season" and I see that RCCL says their sale ends tonight. Although I am pretty sure the timeline fits I am not 100% sure if we can get all our ducks in a row (I have a kid in college and trying to pin him down is tough) in the next 5.5 hrs. Is there any general consensus about how prices will change tomorrow? Will they extend the "sale" for cruises that are not close to full? If I am not too worried about the deposit, should I just go with it? I'd hate to put down $400 and then lose it but part of me thinks if I do it and tell the family they will actually get serious and focus.

4. If I buy through one of the online TAs and I want to prepurchase the drink package, can I do that thru RCCL's site? I saw a post that said that RCCL almost always has a 20% off code in the cruise planner and if I can save a few $ I'm always up for that.

5. Finally, if we want to add people later, are their issues with moving people from one room to another, even if its a cheaper rate? College kid's GF might get added, if that happened we would need an addl. room and would have to move someone to that room.

Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd get it all out and you can all fire away. Thanks in advance for any help.

Royal's website does not show anywhere near the total number of available staterooms. If you don't want to use a travel agent, you can call Royal directly and they will tell you if the stateroom you want is available.

If you book through a travel agent, you can still purchase drink packages, excursions, specialty restaurants, spa treatments, etc., using Royal's website.

Price changes are unpredictable, no "general consensus" involved.

You can move without penalty (except for having to pay the going rate) anytime before final payment date.

Hello, I have been lurking for a while, registered a few weeks ago and have some questions about bookings. A little history, I went on one cruise w/my then girlfriend now wife about 15 years ago, a 3 day NCL to the Bahamas. Wife has gone on several on different lines w/friends. Cruising is more her thing but I'm open to going again.

So here are the questions:

1. I have a specific cruise picked out that should fit several hectic schedules and I even did a little research on staterooms. I then went on RCCL's website to book. The stateroom I was looking at was not available. However, when I tried a couple of the Cruise Critic partners for booking to see if there was a significant price difference, the stateroom I wanted was available, as were a couple close to it that would be acceptable. Has anyone had that happen before? Should I call the various web TAs (are they really TAs? I will assume they are for this) and make them confirm that the specific stateroom is available?

2. Assuming I can get the specific cabin through one of the online TAs, are there any other real benefits to any of the online TAs? A lot of what they offer I don't need, we live in So. Fla. so no need for hotel vouchers and things like that. Just wondering if there are any hidden perks with any of them. Also, are there any downsides that anyone is aware of in using them?

3. I read about "Wave Season" and I see that RCCL says their sale ends tonight. Although I am pretty sure the timeline fits I am not 100% sure if we can get all our ducks in a row (I have a kid in college and trying to pin him down is tough) in the next 5.5 hrs. Is there any general consensus about how prices will change tomorrow? Will they extend the "sale" for cruises that are not close to full? If I am not too worried about the deposit, should I just go with it? I'd hate to put down $400 and then lose it but part of me thinks if I do it and tell the family they will actually get serious and focus.

4. If I buy through one of the online TAs and I want to prepurchase the drink package, can I do that thru RCCL's site? I saw a post that said that RCCL almost always has a 20% off code in the cruise planner and if I can save a few $ I'm always up for that.

5. Finally, if we want to add people later, are their issues with moving people from one room to another, even if its a cheaper rate? College kid's GF might get added, if that happened we would need an addl. room and would have to move someone to that room.

Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd get it all out and you can all fire away. Thanks in advance for any help.

1. That can happen for a few reasons, the most likely are that RCCL has sold it and the others haven't updated yet, or the others are working through the wholesaler that gas it allocated as a block

2. All you can do is ask what benefits they offer, some give OBC

3. Prices may well change, but then that can happen at any time, not just because a sale starts or finishes

4. Not sure to be honest, I'd have thought so, but don't bet on that answer

5. Changing bookings will be at the rate at the time, but if that going to cost just swap rooms once you board.

We finally switched to a TA this time after booking direct and it's been painless. Most will, depending on length of sailing, ship, and stateroom category will offer additional OBC. Some will also throw in free wine, specialty dining, or something similar. With mine and many other TAs, if there's a price drop, just call them and they will do the legwork for you.

I'm still able to book any drink packages, excursions, and dining online by myself. You can book those now and if they drop in price, cancel and rebook up until a few days prior to sailing.

Thank you all for the input. We ended up trying to book direct and the room we wanted was available so we booked. Today of course the same itinerary is $15 cheaper a person, so we are going to see just how well the price guarantee works. That's not a lot of $ but that's not the point. Cruise is a 5 day on Navigator next Dec. we booked one of the D10 aft balconies.

Thank you all for the input. We ended up trying to book direct and the room we wanted was available so we booked. Today of course the same itinerary is $15 cheaper a person, so we are going to see just how well the price guarantee works. That's not a lot of $ but that's not the point. Cruise is a 5 day on Navigator next Dec. we booked one of the D10 aft balconies.

You should not have to use the price guarantee, you should just call and ask them to adjust the price.

You can call as many times as you want before final payment to adjust any price drops, but this is only if booked with Royal. If through a TA, the TA has to call. Royal, or any other cruise line won't talk to you. Be aware, some TA's charge for any changes.

You should not have to use the price guarantee, you should just call and ask them to adjust the price.

Thanks (you also Biker19). I'll try that. It's not that I'm really upset at $15 a person but hey, it's $75 for my group of 5 and that's a decent amount f money.