Best check-in time to avoid long queues?

marilena

As mentioned in another thread I'm going on my first cruise this summer (1 week, Royal Princess, Mediterranean, from Athens, no priority boarding). The ship departs at 19:00, check-in time will be 12:00 to 18:00. Depending on which flight we choose, we could be at the port at 12:00, at 13:30 or at 15:00.

Based on your experience what time should we best arrive for check-in to avoid long queues and waiting times ('long waiting time' for us would be > 45mins)? Thanks!

You're already making a big mistake. Arriving in your departure city on the day of departure is fraught with peril. If your flight is delayed you can easily miss the ship. While this happens rarely, it happens often enough and the cost of missing the ship is big enough that it's a much better practice to arrive in town a day or two early. And, heck, it's Athens! Plenty to see and do for a couple of days.

Now that said, personally we prefer to board a bit later to avoid crowds. I understand that being your first cruise and its only seven days, you're going to be very excited to get things started. Getting there early with no priority is going to be tough, especially with a large ship like the Royal. That experience might put a damper on the start of a fantastic voyage. Plan a morning of sightseeing, have a nice lunch and then get to the port mid-afternoon. You'll miss the crowds and have a very pleasant embarkation. Have a great trip!

We always arrive by 10:30. Boarding starts around noon.

If you don't have priority boarding you will at least be in one of the first groups to board after preferred.

Athens embarkation and terminal is very organized.

Not saying its a great idea but Princess EZ air has many same day flights for cruises from there.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We always arrive a few days early in case of flight issues. If you intend to arrive on the same day as embarkation, schedule your arrival as early as possible to allow time for airline delays as well as traffic delays. Forget about boarding time. Better to be there and waiting in line then to be on an airplane when your ship sails.

According to Google the cruise port is around 45 mins drive from the airport without any traffic.

Agree with beg3yrs. We recently took the Crown out of Santiago, Chile and I was concerned about arriving the same day as boarding. All worked out OK, but we'll not do that again.

As far as boarding with no priority it's a personal choice, but the lines may be shorter later in the day.

Skippy

Thanks everyone! We will be already in Greece prior to the cruise and will fly in from Mykonos. So will probably book one of the earlier flights, to have possibility to take a later one if there are any issues. It seems there is no possibility to get priority boarding, unless you book a suite or are an 'advanced cruiser' (not familiar with all the categories yet :)) If it would be possible to book prioritiy boarding extra, I would have done that, but on princess cruise hotline they said there is no such option. If anyone knows differently let me know! Thanks!

Thanks everyone! We will be already in Greece prior to the cruise and will fly in from Mykonos. So will probably book one of the earlier flights, to have possibility to take a later one if there are any issues. It seems there is no possibility to get priority boarding, unless you book a suite or are an 'advanced cruiser' (not familiar with all the categories yet :)) If it would be possible to book prioritiy boarding extra, I would have done that, but on princess cruise hotline they said there is no such option. If anyone knows differently let me know! Thanks!

If you get there early and in one of the first groups you are only looking at maybe 45-60 minutes after priority boarding groups start.

It seems there is no possibility to get priority boarding, unless you book a suite or are an 'advanced cruiser' (not familiar with all the categories yet :)) If it would be possible to book priority boarding extra, I would have done that, but on princess cruise hotline they said there is no such option. If anyone knows differently let me know! Thanks!

Not on Princess. The only way to get priority boarding is to be Platinum, Elite or in a Suite.

I live in Greece and the travelling time from the Airport (presuming it is Venizelos) to the Port is usually one hour on a good day (Sat/Sun) Leave at least double that time if driving through Central Athens.

Most taxi drivers will be aware of any traffic delays and will avoid them and find a quicker route.

The Metro goes from the Airport to the port with one change of station and takes about one hour.

As posted before stay in Athens for a couple of days at least,,,,, you will not regret it.

I wondered why so many people were chastising you for not flying in a day early when you hadn't told them your itinerary :).

If you have not spent the day in Athens already, I would do that and get to the ship as late as possible. If you get there at 5pm or 6pm the crowds will be non-existent. If you will have already been to Athens, then I would probably get there early if you want to avoid crowds (like 11am as was mentioned).

The biggest lines are before boarding has started.

Boarding usually starts around noon.

By 1 PM the lines will normally (there are always reasons for exceptions) be minimal and you can go straight from check-in to the ship.

But I agree with others. Book the early flight to have the most flexibility in case of a problem.