Staying at Embassy Suites night before our cruise

WolfpackFan

Sailing on Crown Princess in December out of Ft. Lauderdale and staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. the night before the cruise. I figure we'll just take a taxi from the airport to get to the Embassy Suites. But what is the best mode of transportation to get to the ship the next morning? Does anyone know if the Embassy Suites provides a shuttle to the port? Thanks.

Embassy Suites does a great job shuttling to the ships. Book with the concierge the night before. $9 pp. In the morning, come down and gather by the sign for your ship with all your luggage. They run shuttles by ship fairly frequently. (Port traffic can cause delays. )

We've stayed with them many times and found it works quite well. They used to load one shuttle and go to all the ships. The new process works much better - going to one ship at a time.

On our last trip 2 weeks ago our taxis picking up at the airport and dropping off have been not putting on their meters and charging flat fees. It was $25 airport to Embassy suites and $25 ship to airport.

We didn't bother figuring out if this was proper or not - if I recall correctly last year was about $20 by meter airport to Embassy suites so not a big difference.

Sailing on Crown Princess in December out of Ft. Lauderdale and staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. the night before the cruise. I figure we'll just take a taxi from the airport to get to the Embassy Suites. But what is the best mode of transportation to get to the ship the next morning? Does anyone know if the Embassy Suites provides a shuttle to the port? Thanks.

Hello Wolfpack,

We have stayed there and have found that the hotel offers a shared ride for fee to the ship. We have taken a cab to the ship as it is no more cost than the shared ride. The cabs are readily available. Should you choose to take the hotel transport, sign up for a time when you check in.

Enjoy yourself.

I'd say give Uber or Lyft a try. We cruised with my 20-something daughter so she fired Uber up. It tells you how much ahead of time so you can decide. We requested an Uber XL (the bigger version) from another hotel a little further than Embassy, 4 of us with 4 large bags and a couple of smaller items.

$8 one way to the port for all 4 of us. There were 3 other couples waiting for some time for a cab and the Uber person showed up, we loaded and were off while they were still standing waiting.

The port was nuts the day sailed and we waited in the Uber for about 45 minutes to unload. Price was still the same, $8 and I gave him a $2 tip. Uber doesn't have a standby rate like a standard taxi does (who is charging via the meter).

I'm a computer guy and discounted using Uber because it would be too hard to figure out. I was wrong, it's actually easier than calling for a taxi. You know how much the ride will be and they tell you what kind of car/SUV is coming, how long it will take +/- about 30 seconds and the name of the driver.

No more taxi's for us. Uber was truly cheaper, better, faster than the hotel shuttles or taxis we have used in the past. You can even program in a midway stop say at Total Wine and More on your way to the port.

Going home we did Princess EZCheck and a taxi from the port to the FLL. It would have taken an Uber much longer to get into port and find us. There were at least 30 taxis in line waiting to go. We jumped in one and we were off.

Edited by GRAYTech

Take a cab or uber to the port. It will be cheaper (less than $15 for a taxi; less for uber) than the shuttle for two people plus you won't be tied to the shuttle schedule and you will be delivered directly to the ship without possible intermediate stops. If the ship is not at terminal 2 (terminals 2 and 4 are located before the security booth), make sure you have your documentation (boarding pass, ID) ready to speed the port security process.

That's our go-to hotel in FLL. Depending on how many ships are in port, we either take Lyft or pre-arrange a private car with the hotel the night prior (if more than 4 ships in port especially if one is a Mega ship the place is a zoo, so we go private even if a bit more pricey - the competition for taxis and lyft gets really frenetic and surge pricing may kick in on lyft). As a budget option the hotel really does do a good job with the shared ride.

I agree with using Uber for around $10 total.

If at Pier #2 we were able to handle our luggage and have walked several times.

We walked to the ship 2 weeks ago since Embassy Suites is so close and the ship was at Pier 2. Wheeled luggage is a blessing. Took us maybe 20 minutes at the most - I don't think it's more than a mile at most.

I agree with using Uber for around $10 total.

If at Pier #2 we were able to handle our luggage and have walked several times.

We walked to the ship 2 weeks ago since Embassy Suites is so close and the ship was at Pier 2. Wheeled luggage is a blessing. Took us maybe 20 minutes at the most - I don't think it's more than a mile at most.

Colo Cruiser and Diver2014,

We usually stay at Embassy Suites and have always wondered about walking to the Pier 2. Can either of you tell me what route you took? I have no clue how we could safely walk with luggage.

Thanks!

We take a taxi. The meter will show less than $10, maybe something like $7.50. But the min fare is $10 so that should be what you are charged. We usually provide an extra tip. The taxi fare is less cost for two than the per person shuttle price. If no taxis are in the hotel's driveway, you can step out onto the sidewalk and wave one down. If your ship is at pier 2 it is possible to walk there. Some people do. If your ship is at the mid port piers you can not walk. It is a 5 min drive t6o the piers.

Uber is another option, if you have that service.

We usually stay at Embassy Suites and have always wondered about walking to the Pier 2. Can either of you tell me what route you took? I have no clue how we could safely walk with luggage.

Thanks!

I'm neither Colo Cruiser nor Diver2014 but....

Turn right when you exit the Embassy Suites. Walk down 17th Street to the intersection with Eisenhower Avenue. Turn right on Eisenhower Avenue. The entrance to terminal 2 will be on your left after the parking garage. Take a look at: https://res-5.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf. The Embassy Suites is located right below the dining icon on the map above the upper left corner of the port.

Hello Wolfpack,

We have stayed there and have found that the hotel offers a shared ride for fee to the ship. We have taken a cab to the ship as it is no more cost than the shared ride. The cabs are readily available. Should you choose to take the hotel transport, sign up for a time when you check in.

Enjoy yourself.

we also use the cab...they provide a little more flexibility.

That's our go-to hotel in FLL. Depending on how many ships are in port, we either take Lyft or pre-arrange a private car with the hotel the night prior (if more than 4 ships in port especially if one is a Mega ship the place is a zoo, so we go private even if a bit more pricey - the competition for taxis and lyft gets really frenetic and surge pricing may kick in on lyft). As a budget option the hotel really does do a good job with the shared ride.

I agree, with the zoo atmosphere at the hotel in the am trying to get a taxi, if mega ship in port... we always try to get out of there as early has possible on a private transfer.

Thanks!

We always walk from the Renaissance which is just down the road

Turn right out of the Embassy Suites and walk down ( maybe 2 blocks) to Eisenhower Blvd (Walgreens on corner). Go ahead and cross Eisenhower Blvd and then turn right on Eisenhower Blvd. Turn left on 20th SE St. No guard shack to slow you down. You end up walking straight in off of 20th ST. and pass under the parking garage to were you drop off your bags. Sidewalks all the way. We really enjoy the walk partly because of the anticipation of the cruise. It should be no more then 20 minute walk from the Embassy Suites, I know it's only 10 minutes from the Renaissance.

You will pass by ship employees along the way headed for shopping on the turn around.

Thanks!

What Todd said!

Embassy Suites does a great job shuttling to the ships. Book with the concierge the night before. $9 pp. In the morning, come down and gather by the sign for your ship with all your luggage. They run shuttles by ship fairly frequently. (Port traffic can cause delays. )

We've stayed with them many times and found it works quite well. They used to load one shuttle and go to all the ships. The new process works much better - going to one ship at a time.

On our last trip 2 weeks ago our taxis picking up at the airport and dropping off have been not putting on their meters and charging flat fees. It was $25 airport to Embassy suites and $25 ship to airport.

We didn't bother figuring out if this was proper or not - if I recall correctly last year was about $20 by meter airport to Embassy suites so not a big difference.

Ensure the Taxi has his meter on or don't use it, I fell for this my first trip there about 10 years ago, but not since! Should only be about $12 to $15 airport to the Embassy Suites...

Also I take Taxi from Embassy to Ship, cost about $6-$10 total depending on which pier, from what I remember. I used Hotel transport once and was slow waiting for everyone, packing in all the bags etc, taxi much faster.

Yes they do but it's very close so we do a taxi.

I'd say give Uber or Lyft a try. We cruised with my 20-something daughter so she fired Uber up. It tells you how much ahead of time so you can decide. We requested an Uber XL (the bigger version) from another hotel a little further than Embassy, 4 of us with 4 large bags and a couple of smaller items.

$8 one way to the port for all 4 of us. There were 3 other couples waiting for some time for a cab and the Uber person showed up, we loaded and were off while they were still standing waiting.

The port was nuts the day sailed and we waited in the Uber for about 45 minutes to unload. Price was still the same, $8 and I gave him a $2 tip. Uber doesn't have a standby rate like a standard taxi does (who is charging via the meter).

I'm a computer guy and discounted using Uber because it would be too hard to figure out. I was wrong, it's actually easier than calling for a taxi. You know how much the ride will be and they tell you what kind of car/SUV is coming, how long it will take +/- about 30 seconds and the name of the driver.

No more taxi's for us. Uber was truly cheaper, better, faster than the hotel shuttles or taxis we have used in the past. You can even program in a midway stop say at Total Wine and More on your way to the port.

Going home we did Princess EZCheck and a taxi from the port to the FLL. It would have taken an Uber much longer to get into port and find us. There were at least 30 taxis in line waiting to go. We jumped in one and we were off.

If the Uber guy had to wait 45 minutes on a normally 10 minute drive I would have tipped him more then $2.

When leaving from Embassy Suites on April 17 for the Coral, will I need to tell the taxi or Uber driver which pier to go to? If so, how do I find out which pier the Coral will be docked at?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When leaving from Embassy Suites on April 17 for the Coral, will I need to tell the taxi or Uber driver which pier to go to? If so, how do I find out which pier the Coral will be docked at?

When entering the port there are signs for the piers/ships.

I would hope he/she knows where the port is.

Check the Port Everglades website for pier assignment.

Our last cruise we stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th street and requested last check out. They allowed us to stay until noon and within 10 minutes we were in our Uber ride on the way to the pier. The long lines were gone so our Uber driver was able to pull right up where we dropped off our bags and entered the terminal using the Platinum line. By 1 p.m. we were sitting in the main dining room enjoying our lunch. Best embarkation ever!

If the Uber guy had to wait 45 minutes on a normally 10 minute drive I would have tipped him more then $2.

I tried but he didn't want it. What he did was take a photo of my daughter's phone to show the discrepancy of what Uber charges and what the driver gets. (That's Uber's cut of course) He was going to run this case up the corporate ladder to show how unfair the pricing and system is to the drivers at times.

So yes, he deserved more but he didn't want the extra $10 I was going to give him.