Anthem: Best View of Manhattan?

I'm booked on Anthem and wanted know if Port or Starboard side was best for seeing the skyline of Manhattan at sail away. I have a suite and wanted to have a bunch of friends on my deck for Sail away.. Thanks!

Realize though, that you will only get a few minutes of the view as once you pull out, you're pretty far south already. The best view is before the ship leaves.

Of course it is what we natives would consider a "New Jersey View". For those of us born in New York it is always the view from the East that was the classic Manhattan skyline. :)

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Depends, on our August 9 night cruise, the Captain gave us a gift. Instead of going right to the open waters, he made a left and went up the Hudson River--so in a sense either side would give you the skyline & more. When he made the U-turn, we were within 150-200 feet of Battery Park We saw the Lady of the Harbor, Governor's Island, Ellis Island and the wonderful view of the Garden State.

Depends, on our August 9 night cruise, the Captain gave us a gift. Instead of going right to the open waters, he made a left and went up the Hudson River--so in a sense either side would give you the skyline & more. When he made the U-turn, we were within 150-200 feet of Battery Park We saw the Lady of the Harbor, Governor's Island, Ellis Island and the wonderful view of the Garden State.

And being on the pool deck rocked when we had that same thing happen in September. So you could go from one side to the other.

And being on the pool deck rocked when we had that same thing happen in September. So you could go from one side to the other.

However, from 2X70 you get a true 180 degree view without going from one side to the other, especially when going tof open waters.. Also, if you stay on one side only, you get to see both sides of the river.

I wonder under what circumstances they do this?

Fingers crossed this happens for me in June. 🗽🚢

Very rare - don't get your hopes up. Both Quantum and Anthem did this on initial arrival into port, but otherwise probably only happens on some very special occasion. I've only seen reports of a couple of times it happening in the whole time Anthem has been there.

We also got the extra gift when sailing out last fall. It was such a wonderful way to start the trip. The captain got lots of love for it several times during the cruise. I'll be on the Anthem again late this summer. Hope he does it again! But as someone already said, you can't go wrong in the 270.

It depends on Paxs check-in. Ours was ready to depart more than 1 hour earlier than the indicated time and I'm assuming it gave the Captain the flexibility. Based on some of the posts, it seems to occur more often on 9 nights to NE & Canada.

It depends on port traffic. If other cruise ships go down the Hudson she can't go up. If she is alone this, on time and the distance to the first port of call does not require much speed she goes up to Manhattan. Last autumn it happened on the Thursday departures to New England but not on the Saturday departures to Bermuda.

Sent from my iPad using Forums