Breakaway fron NY to Bahamas in March 2018 WEATHER?????

First cruise… Reading posts and dailies that show temperatures are quite low throughout this itinerary in MARCH… Do you think it will be warm enough to sit on the decks and use the Waterslides? If not, what is the best month to travel from New York to the Caribbean on a cruise?

I really want to enjoy a great stirrup Cay and don't want to miss it...

We are staying in the Haven.

In general the departure day through mid-day of the following day the weather will be rather cold and prohibitive to comfortable deck sitting unless dressed accordingly. I would think the water slides would be out until later in the following day after departure as well. But by mid-afternoon of that second day you are in increasingly warmer weather and all ship activities should start to become doable. The same would be in reverse on your return.

IMO the best months to allow for the best temperatures for each day of the cruise from NY to the Caribbean and back would be earliest May through latest September. BTW, Great Stirrup Cay is in the Bahamas, not the Caribbean, which would have temperatures similar to south Florida. The Caribbean is hot all year round.

The weather at that time of year is unpredictable. We've sailed Breakaway in March three times, two were warm and lovely, the most recent one we had one warm day. The Haven is wonderful in this circumstance, as you still have a place to lounge and pool/hot tubs to use without freezing on the main pool deck.

If you want more certainty with the weather, you definitely need to sail later in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our March temps this year have been crazy - ranging from temps in the 30's with snow, to 65 degrees! Your first day and a half may be too cold to use the waterslides. After that you should be good to go! I would sail from NY from April to October to get the best weather.

Our March temps this year have been crazy - ranging from temps in the 30's with snow, to 65 degrees! Your first day and a half may be too cold to use the waterslides. After that you should be good to go! I would sail from NY from April to October to get the best weather.

But February was balmy! March came in like a lamb, out like a lion.

But February was balmy! March came in like a lamb, out like a lion.

Yup. And our April Showers seem to be freezing rain.

Of course, spring 2018 might be totally different. We could just straight from winter to July like we did a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First cruise… Reading posts and dailies that show temperatures are quite low throughout this itinerary in MARCH… Do you think it will be warm enough to sit on the decks and use the Waterslides? If not, what is the best month to travel from New York to the Caribbean on a cruise?

I really want to enjoy a great stirrup Cay and don't want to miss it...

We are staying in the Haven.

We'll just completed the Breakaway March 19-26. The warmest days were in Cape Canaveral, GSK, and Nassau. The temperature was about 80 degrees, with a strong sun, and virtually no clouds. The sea days, both ways, we're chilly. You may be better off waiting until the Breakaway sails to Bermuda.

We'll just completed the Breakaway March 19-26. The warmest days were in Cape Canaveral, GSK, and Nassau. The temperature was about 80 degrees, with a strong sun, and virtually no clouds. The sea days, both ways, we're chilly. You may be better off waiting until the Breakaway sails to Bermuda.

For comparison we were on the March 12-19 cruise and had cold weather all the way to Florida, strong winds and never made it to GSK. Port Canaveral and Nassau were both mid 70's and windy.

You don't know what you will get travelling from November-April on this particular itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bahamas in March out of New York would not be my first choice for a first cruise. I would do Bermuda in summer or early fall. Better yet the Caribbean cruises are the best for beach weather. We are booked on the dawn in October 2018 out of Boston. 14 night Caribbean round trip Boston.

We cruise out of NY / NJ the third week in March almost every year. This year was Breakaway (same two years ago) March 19th. The weather usually isn't bad, this year being one of the cooler ones. We have had 6 inches of snow on deck for embarkation to 65 and beautiful. All but one by the time we hit Florida have been beach weather. Most are very nice until the last sea day except this year we did hit a storm after leaving Nassau. Never have I not been able to swim, use the slides, hot tubes and get my first sunburn of the season. ;)