Annoying fellow Passengers

pmattor200

Ok this is the second post I have read about rude people on this sailing. I was on this sailing and it didn't seem any worse than any other cruise. There will always be rude people living in their own little worlds. The only person I saw who was a little off was this lady was sitting at the Sunset bar and asked the bartender for a grilled cheese sandwich and he just laughed and said ok well I kid you not she went back 10 minutes later and asked where her grilled cheese was and he laughed and said your serious you have to go to the Oceanview and she stomped off with no cover up or shoes but I'll be darned here she comes 15 minutes later with someone following her with a grilled cheese. The one other thing I did see was six people saving chairs in the shade on port days with their towels and clips. We wanted so bad to go move their clips and towels. But like I said no worse than any other cruise.

Yes that was me who posted about rude people on the 3/25 Reflection cruise. I see someone thought the same. I have been on several spring cruises and it was not the college age folks acting rude. As noted below, it was the 40 and up crowd.

We were on this cruise and the cruisers were ruder than we've ever seen in the nearly two dozen cruises we've taken. What I witnessed were all adults (40s and up) behaving badly. Several groups would demand immediate attention and not wait for those already waiting at the bar to give their order. In addition, one of our friends was in a wheelchair and some cruisers were being disrespectful of her while trying to get in and off the elevator, among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All good points here and watching how they treated our friend in a wheelchair was horrible. Some lady held a pool side chair for over an hour with a bag that was not visible (her bag was under a pile of towels). After our friend made her way on to the chair (the really large chair/beds in front of the pool), the lady walks up with a mean attitude about how was reserving the chair. She could have shared it. She was just rude. Then the kids come up splashing everyone acting as though they were the only ones on board. Of course the parents thought the behavior was cute.

Just got off the Reflection and some of the passengers were extremely rude and annoying. We had a Smoker using his balcony to smoke and continued to do so even after he was confronted by the ships staff. Our friends also had this problem on the opposite side of the ship. A women smoking at the pool and ignoring the pool staff until security made her move. Kids jumping into the pool and splashing everyone even after the mother told them several times to stop (not Family pool). Someone stole my friends book off her pool lounge. Drunk in the theater messing with my suit jacket that I had over the back of my chair in the theater. I hope this was just because we went later in the year than normal. We will probably go back to late January or February next year and hope to have the more pleasant experiences we are used to with Celebrity.

I posted a message as well on the Celebrity thread on the same topic of rude people. See Reflection 3/25 - Guest Review

In addition, one of our friends was in a wheelchair and some cruisers were being disrespectful of her while trying to get in and off the elevator, among other things.

A little common courtesy would be nice.

People without ambulatory/health issues on an elevator really should step off & take the stairs to make room for a wheelchair/scooter passenger.

Some passengers have a choice, those with mobility issues do not.

I am a new scooter user who is fine to wait her turn and does not expect anyone to get off an elevator to let me on. Nor do I presume that everyone not using a mobility device is able to take the stairs. I do, however, wish that some people would not rush past me or in front of me to beat me to the elevator when I was already there waiting at the bank of elevators before they got there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have to call out a few things ...

1) How long had your friend been saving a chair with her book before someone 'stole' it? Presumably she'd gone elsewhere or she'd have seen the culprit.

2) If you're talking about the typical theater row-seats, I'd be annoyed if someone flung their jacket over the back of their chair and into my leg space, particularly if I were tall.

Overall this sounded very low-key for the typical 'spring break horror story'.

My thoughts as well. However, no excuse for smoking in the cabins (you should complain, each and every time....serious fire hazard as well as stinky). Also, the OP's issues were with children...not college age kids.

A little common courtesy would be nice.

People without ambulatory/health issues on an elevator really should step off & take the stairs to make room for a wheelchair/scooter passenger.

Some passengers have a choice, those with mobility issues do not.

It seems that to many people you become invisible when your in a wheelchair.

We recently returned from an Allure Spring Break itinerary. By the end of the week, I came to the conclusion that the poor behavior of an inordinate amount fellow passengers was primarily due to their inexperience with cruising and cruise etiquette. (Of the 5000+ passengers, just over 200 were diamond to pinnacle level)

I spent 28 years in education and love kids. On this trip, I found little to complain about from the kids onboard. I was very disappointed in the lack of common courtesy from the adults. After several days of the "me first" mentality, it really does begin to have a very negative impact on the ability to enjoy the vacation.

I have come to the conclusion that for me, personally, it is best that I stick to small to mid-sized ships with a large proportion of well-traveled passengers in the future.

No, it's just funny! And, bad behavior and Carnival do tend to go together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sorry but that's not true, and it certainly isn't funny

Started February 27, 2017 and will end April 7, 2017.

Search "2017 college spring break schedule". Every US college is listed by

We live in Florida and it always goes until a week after Easter (April 23rd this year). You have to remember the younger school children go on break also.

And k-12 schools in New York are out exactly a week before and exactly a week after. (February 17-26 and April 10-18). So pretty much mid-February to mid April will have kids or college students.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel I have to put in my two cents. Having been on many cruises on all the main stream cruise lines, I can honestly say I have seen good and bad behavior on all lines. It's not the line, it's the people and people can act poorly no matter how much they paid for their ticket. I would hate to be classified by my choice of cruise lines, just as I would hate to judge the class of people by the cruise line they choose. Typecasting and generalizations are usually too broad to be completely accurate.

That statement is a bit uncalled for. Terrible passengers can be on any ship. I was solicited by a prostitute on an RCI ship and don't think all of their guests are like that. Class and being able to afford a more premium cruise experience are not synonymous with one another.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

It was just a joke, sheesh! As you can see, I enjoy Carnival cruises.....

I feel I have to put in my two cents. Having been on many cruises on all the main stream cruise lines, I can honestly say I have seen good and bad behavior on all lines. It's not the line, it's the people and people can act poorly no matter how much they paid for their ticket. I would hate to be classified by my choice of cruise lines, just as I would hate to judge the class of people by the cruise line they choose. Typecasting and generalizations are usually too broad to be completely accurate.

Excellent statement !

Carnival markets itself as the "fun ship" and for some fun equates to how much alcohol can be consumed in a single sitting. Alcohol and behavior are a dicey combination. They also run many short itineraries which makes people think they must pack the fun into just a few days. It isn't overly surprising that you might find more issues with passengers on Carnival.

That said, I agree that rudeness is both across Cruise lines and multigenerational. On the Allure trip last month, my friend had recently broken multiple bones in her leg and foot so was required to use a scooter. She did indeed become "invisible" and we spent a lot of time waiting for elevators that we could board. Other passengers frequently went past us to jump on first or attempted to squeeze on, practically sitting on her.

I had similar concerns for passenger conduct on a TA full of retired folks the year before. It's just a bewildering sense of entitlement.

If some of my recent trips were my first experiences with cruising, I probably wouldn't have gone on over 30 of them. I hope we are not going to be forced to accept bad behavior as "just the way things are now". A small dose of respect, a smile and a sense of humor will go a long way in ensuring everyone's enjoyment.

I agree with the jacket and the book comment. I don't appreciate when someone makes themselves more comfortable in a crowded theater by using my space - and I find the feel of someone else's clothes on me creepy and uncomfortable. And if I am sitting in front of you, please don't hang your jacket off the back of my chair. Next time try wearing it, holding it, or sitting on it. Thank you.

I agree....please don't hang your jacket off the back of your seat in the theater. As the above poster says ,you are then in my leg space. This happened to me once and I asked the offender to please remove their jacket and they did. I was not drunk..perhaps the person behind you fussing with your jacket was merely annoyed?

Hey All just off the Reflection as well.

I was in the theatre one night and did see an incident with a jacket overhanging the back of a chair. I was a couple of chairs over. The jacket was dangling off the back and was in the space of the guy sitting in back. He playfully said, "Hey nice jacket." and did give it a gentle tug. Not enough to pull it away from the chair, just enough to feel it. You can debate whether his sense of humour was appropriate or not but it was in no way malicious or drunken. The reaction from the jacket owner however was over the top.

He jumped off his chair turned around swearing and threatening actual physical violence. My initial thought was he was joking, but I saw his wife grab for him and saw this was no joke. I actually thought I was going to have to intervene in a physical fight. I just told him to relax. He did sit back down. Way too much drama for nothing. It was extreme enough where a few people around me questioned whether or not he should be removed. I do not know if this was the original poster, but this guy has anger issues.

As for people on the ship. I commented that in another post that 70% of the guests were awesome and 30% not so much. That might be exaggerated. I have never been on Carnival so can not comment on that line but compared to the other lines I have been on, Celebrity Passengers are no better and no worse. No better or worse than the general population. Pushing into an elevator, the buffet line, any line, treating the crew bad for no reason, no compassion or understanding for those that may be a bit slower. A guy that cuts in front of me in car traffic, I do not know his story. Is he/she just inconsiderate or is there an emergency of some kind. The guy that cuts in front of me at the bar, well...I do not think I am allowed to write the word to classify him properly on Cruise Critic.

Also, I think that when there are more families on board, that means more kids. Kids have energy and are well kids.

Carnival markets itself as the "fun ship" and for some fun equates to how much alcohol can be consumed in a single sitting. Alcohol and behavior are a dicey combination. They also run many short itineraries which makes people think they must pack the fun into just a few days. It isn't overly surprising that you might find more issues with passengers on Carnival.

That said, I agree that rudeness is both across Cruise lines and multigenerational. On the Allure trip last month, my friend had recently broken multiple bones in her leg and foot so was required to use a scooter. She did indeed become "invisible" and we spent a lot of time waiting for elevators that we could board. Other passengers frequently went past us to jump on first or attempted to squeeze on, practically sitting on her.

I had similar concerns for passenger conduct on a TA full of retired folks the year before. It's just a bewildering sense of entitlement.

If some of my recent trips were my first experiences with cruising, I probably wouldn't have gone on over 30 of them. I hope we are not going to be forced to accept bad behavior as "just the way things are now". A small dose of respect, a smile and a sense of humor will go a long way in ensuring everyone's enjoyment.

Well said.

On my last cruise on the reflection, I am an early riser & like to walk the decks in the morning. On the 1st morning I was walking at 6:30am when I saw this lady with a stack of clothes & shoes in her hand, I watched as she put 1 or the other on deck chairs by the pool 10 deck chairs in all & then leave. As luck would have it a pool att. was there. I said it is now 6:45 & I will be back in 1!/2 hour & if no one is seating in those chairs I will remove the shoes & clothes myself & toss them in the corner, no problem he said. True to my word I was there at 7:44am & at 8am here he came & picked up every shoe & piece of clothing on those chairs. I had to wait & see what this lady would do when she saw this, she cme back at8:20 she looked me & I just smiled & off she went looking for her stuff. Went back the next morning & she had 10 deck chairs saved again but this time she had herself & 3 other people with her, I just smiled & walked by.

george35