Is Eurodam to Alaska a new itinerary? Can't find any reviews here.

styles27

Hi,

We will be on the May 6th sailing to Alaska on Eurodam.

Unless I'm not using the search function correctly, I can't seem to locate any reviews for this ship to Alaska in May.

Is this the first year Eurodam is sailing to Alaska?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can offer!

Yes, this year is the first year that the Eurodam is sailing to Alaska. If you're looking for reviews on Alaska, there are many of them for the Westerdam, Noordam, Volendam, Zaandam, Amsterdam, & Oosterdam to name some more recent ships. I think the Nieuw Amsterdam might have sailed to Alaska last year for the first time but I could be wrong. The NA is a sister ship to Eurodam so that might be more what you're looking for.

Thanks so much! I'm happy to know I was using the search function correctly. lol

I saw the other ship's reviews and was hoping to get some insight about the weather, seas etc. at that time of year, even though I know it can change frequently in Alaska.

Unfortunately none of the reviews from May 2016 mention the weather/seas.

Well, the seas are not predictable at any time of year in any sea/ocean so that's probably why you won't see it specifically mentioned. I took a look at the itinerary and since the Eurodam is sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island, rather than the Canadian Inside Passage, the seas will probably be rougher than the inside passage. You'll notice the most movement on the first and last sea days. The rest of the cruise should be fine and will be in more Inside Passage waters.

As for the weather, May is one of the drier months in Alaska. I've been three times in May and once in June. Had good to great weather all four times, and only a bit of rain in Ketchikan once. Just dress in layers and make sure the outer layer is waterproof.

Alaska weather can be all over the place, but here's my two cents: May is a great time to go to Alaska!

I have cruised 12+ times to Alaska, in every month of the cruise season from May to September. Every month has its good points, and people cruise to Alaska at different times for different reasons, ie glaciers, wild life, views, prices, itinerary, etc. I personally prefer May and June because they are typically the driest months with the most daylight. July would be my next favorite time, then early-mid August, with the end of August and September gradually descending into rain, wind, and days of short daylight. We cruised Alaska on Westerdam (round trip Seattle) in very early May in 2015. We had calm seas, warm weather, and sun in every port but one (Ketchikan was cloudy but it was dry at least!). This year, your group are the pioneers, so you'll have to be the ones to come back and report on the first Alaska cruise of the Eurodam!(y)

Here, to whet your appetite, Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay National Park, May 5, 2015:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/margerie-5-5-15.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous....makes me even more excited to experience this in person as it's a bucket list item for me and DH.

Thanks so much for sharing this with me and for the great information!

Well, the seas are not predictable at any time of year in any sea/ocean so that's probably why you won't see it specifically mentioned. I took a look at the itinerary and since the Eurodam is sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island, rather than the Canadian Inside Passage, the seas will probably be rougher than the inside passage. You'll notice the most movement on the first and last sea days. The rest of the cruise should be fine and will be in more Inside Passage waters.

As for the weather, May is one of the drier months in Alaska. I've been three times in May and once in June. Had good to great weather all four times, and only a bit of rain in Ketchikan once. Just dress in layers and make sure the outer layer is waterproof.

Thank you so much!

I'll be sure to review the cruise when I return.

hoping to get some insight about the weather, seas etc

My "go to" web site for tons of weather info is windytv.com. It has settings at the right edge for checking waves, wind, temp, precip, pressure and more.

For waves in that are right now: https://www.windytv.com/?waves,53.697,-126.321,6 which might give an idea about conditions. There is a time scale at the bottom for forecast conditions too that goes out 9 days so checking a week before cruising can give an idea what to expect and pack for. Clicking on a spot will pop up conditions there. Right now waves on west side of Vancouver Is. are about 15 ft. If looking at wind (and some other settings) make sure the lower control at the right edge is set to "Surface".

My "go to" web site for tons of weather info is windytv.com. It has settings at the right edge for checking waves, wind, temp, precip, pressure and more.

For waves in that are right now: https://www.windytv.com/?waves,53.697,-126.321,6 which might give an idea about conditions. There is a time scale at the bottom for forecast conditions too that goes out 9 days so checking a week before cruising can give an idea what to expect and pack for. Clicking on a spot will pop up conditions there. Right now waves on west side of Vancouver Is. are about 15 ft. If looking at wind (and some other settings) make sure the lower control at the right edge is set to "Surface".

That's a great site thank you so much! Yikes 15'!!:o

I was curious about this too! We are doing that very cruise the week before you, leaving from Seattle round-trip, leaving on April 29. Not much turnaround to offer insight before you go since you'll be getting on the day we get off LOL. [emoji848] we did however decide to book the excursion to Butchart gardens in the evening in Victoria because I looked up at the sunset time and it is true how the day is longer in early May. Excited about this ship though, seems to be one of the newly renovated ones and the cabins from what I can gather are pretty. (we are actually jumping on the ship in San Diego on April 24 to cruise up to Vancouver - if there is any helpful insight during that part of the trip I shall let you know) [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

7e6b873ffc7b500beb40fb6faa19bdbc.jpg1142161bebcce9178611dc393ac372ab.jpg

By the way I don't know if you have a smart phone – but I have put all of the port cities in to the weather app on my iPhone to keep an eye on the weather. (my husband laughed at me for that). I think it's quite handy! It has the weather predicted for a full week out so will be great for planning the week before we leave!

7e6b873ffc7b500beb40fb6faa19bdbc.jpg1142161bebcce9178611dc393ac372ab.jpg

By the way I don't know if you have a smart phone – but I have put all of the port cities in to the weather app on my iPhone to keep an eye on the weather. (my husband laughed at me for that). I think it's quite handy! It has the weather predicted for a full week out so will be great for planning the week before we leave!

LOL We must be twins separated at birth! My cell phone weather app looks exactly like yours does right now (except for Carlsbad) I have a cousin that lives in Carlsbad by the way, we love that area of California...we actually just really love California! lol

For the last couple of weeks I keep giving my husband weather updates "it's warmer in Juneau than it is here right now" etc. He also keeps laughing at me. lol

So you guys are on the innaugural cruise! I wonder if they'll do anything special for you!

I hope you have a great time and maybe we'll pass each other in the cruise terminal lol

If you can get a signal and feel like checking in I'll be watching for your posts!

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

This has been amazing!!!! Great time on the ship. Cold and rainy weather and I'm glad that I have a good warm jacket! But everything is so beautiful here. We cut a helicopter to the Taku glacier... Once in a lifetime experience!

Oh yeah, the first night and full day at sea were really rough waters! People were going down all over the ship and heard the infirmary was full. They sold out of all of the seasickness medication options they had in the shops. I took a Bonine (like Dramamine) when I first woke up and was fine. Definitely make sure you pack precautions! After that it's been smooth sailing thankfully.

JHDub...thank you so much for taking the time to post an update! I'm so happy you're enjoying the cruise so far.

I watched you guys arrive in Juneau yesterday...here's a screenshot I took.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/download.php?i=phpije3MIAM.jpg

Eurodam on the left N. Amsterdam on the right.

Thanks for the info about the rough seas...I was worried about that so I bought some extra stuff and got a script for the patch. Usually I just use Motioneaze but I think I'll put a patch on just to be sure.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise...your pictures are beautiful and thank you again!

It is very hard to predict ocean conditions. On our Alaska cruise from Seattle, we had smooth sailing the first and last day - the time we did encounter rough seas was going from Glacier Bay to Sitka (which does not go on the Inside).

Well, they cancelled Sitka on us. [emoji22] 23 foot waves and a storm is a pretty good reason though. Still bummed. We do get more time in Ketchikan though. Hope you guys have better luck on the seas! [emoji16]

Well, they cancelled Sitka on us. [emoji22] 23 foot waves and a storm is a pretty good reason though. Still bummed. We do get more time in Ketchikan though. Hope you guys have better luck on the seas! [emoji16]

Bummer is right. Your weather has been awful. Thanks for checking in with us. You know, leaving the end of April for an Alaskan cruise is just a little too early, and I think the cruise lines should wait a week or two. It's predicted to be rainy and stormy here in Seattle, today and tomorrow. I sure hope you have a nice, dry stretch in Ketchikan. How's the mood on board? Are there a lot of unhappy passengers?

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom
Too much use of "too" and "two" :-)

Oh no...that's not good. I hope things get better for the rest of the cruise.