They cancelled my cruise

tjhorrall

Keep in mind PVSA and Jones Act apply to air travel as well.
Airlines are covered by similar cabotage restrictions, though they're a bit different: Remember that US airlines can run foreign aircraft on domestic routes.

Regardless, your underlying point is really important. Airlines could find folks from Philippines, India and Indonesia, who have or can obtain the necessary language and technical skills to be US pilots and flight attendants, but as is the case aboard non-US cruise ships and non-US airlines, willing to work for lower wages. Furthermore, without cabotage restrictions such as these more developed nations could find themselves without pilots with sufficient current flying experience or ship captains with sufficient current cruising experience to protect the nation in case of attack or insurgency. In essence, these restrictions are an effective deterrent against aggressive action against a developed nation.

Edited by bUU

Airlines are covered by similar cabotage restrictions, though they're a bit different: Remember that US airlines can run foreign aircraft on domestic routes.

Regardless, the point is that airlines could find folks from Philippines, India and Indonesia, who have or can obtain the necessary language and technical skills to be US pilots and flight attendants, but as is the case aboard non-US cruise ships and non-US airlines, willing to work for lower wages. Furthermore, without cabotage restrictions such as these more developed nations could find themselves without pilots with sufficient current flying experience or ship captains with sufficient current cruising experience to protect the nation in case of attack or insurgency. In essence, these restrictions are an effective deterrent against aggressive action against a developed nation.

AND remember U.S. flagged ships,cruise lines are not subject to PVSA.

With all this in mind, does that mean if HAL made their ship's port of registry in the US versus the Netherlands that it wouldn't apply? If so, is there a reason (such as taxes and fees) that they would choose to not do so to avoid these rules?

With all this in mind, does that mean if HAL made their ship's port of registry in the US versus the Netherlands that it wouldn't apply? If so, is there a reason (such as taxes and fees) that they would choose to not do so to avoid these rules?

It is not as easy as changing the registration; the ship has to be US built and the crew mainly US too. (There are some exceptions, like Pride of America that was not fully US built but some construction occurred in the US.

Same thing happened to us, but we either had TA that knew we could not do San Diego to Seattle and then on to Alaska. Or HAL told the TA we couldn't do it. And we even tried San Diego to Vancouver, take the bus to Seattle and then the cruise to Alaska. We were told we had to have quite a few days between the two cruises because of the PVSA.

So we ended up taking San Diego to Vancouver on the Oosterdam in April. And then we took a bus to Seattle, we spent about five days in Seattle and then took the Westerdam to Alaska in May. This was in 2006.

Wish they would get rid of the Jones Act and the PVSA act. Both are a pain. But I suspect that will never happen in our lifetime.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just book the second leg with a different cruise line to Alaska. Lots of choices available.

You took the words right out of my mouth! lol

We have barfely touched conversation in this thread about what I think somewhat confusing about Jones Act and Pvsa, dIsc ussion a bout near foreign port and distant foreign port are very perttinent in such a con versation Not all foreign p orts a re the same....... thus the mention of the A BC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) in a post a littlle earllier in this thread.

Wow really sorry I posted. First I tried to book on HAL because I was told that if I changed ships then the law did not apply. HAL made me think I was correct by allowing the booking and by giving me and my travel agent instructions on how to get from one ship to the other. Lots of people are defending HAL by saying I had lots of options to get from Vancouver to Seattle. I am fully aware of all of the options and the point is I booked a cruise from San Diego to Seattle with a ship change in Vancouver. HAL said okay and then waited until 3 weeks before the cruise to change the plan. If the Seattle trip had not been available I never would have booked the first leg. I PAID for a trip from SanDiego to Seattle. That is what I wanted and they decided at an inconvienant time to change that. I had to cancel, Supershuttle, my pet sitter, my house sitter, the appointment to drop off my vehicle for service while I was gone, my work scheduled time off and my flights.

I realize large companies hire people to do nothing but check social network sites like this and defend the company. I don't know if that is the case here, however. I spent money for a service and they did not provide that service, what is the confusion. Lots of people are quick to tell how I should have changed my plans to accomodate the company. I disagree, I am the customer, If they did not want to give me what I paid for they never should have allowed the booking, and the garbage about computer delays is just hogwash. If other people want to give a company money for something and then have the company tell them what to they need to do because they made a mistake then that is up to them, I will not do that. If I bought a flight to Seattle and they flew me to Portland and then said they made a mistake but I can do this to get to Seattle, it would not be okay. I am sorry I submitted a review and will not post again.

Wow really sorry I posted. First I tried to book on HAL because I was told that if I changed ships then the law did not apply. HAL made me think I was correct by allowing the booking and by giving me and my travel agent instructions on how to get from one ship to the other. Lots of people are defending HAL by saying I had lots of options to get from Vancouver to Seattle. I am fully aware of all of the options and the point is I booked a cruise from San Diego to Seattle with a ship change in Vancouver. HAL said okay and then waited until 3 weeks before the cruise to change the plan. If the Seattle trip had not been available I never would have booked the first leg. I PAID for a trip from SanDiego to Seattle. That is what I wanted and they decided at an inconvienant time to change that. I had to cancel, Supershuttle, my pet sitter, my house sitter, the appointment to drop off my vehicle for service while I was gone, my work scheduled time off and my flights.

I realize large companies hire people to do nothing but check social network sites like this and defend the company. I don't know if that is the case here, however. I spent money for a service and they did not provide that service, what is the confusion. Lots of people are quick to tell how I should have changed my plans to accomnodate the company. I disagree, I am the customer, If they did not want to give me what I paid for they never should have allowed the booking, and the garbage about computer delays is just hogwash. If other people want to give a company money for something and then have the company tell them what to they need to do because they made a mistake then that is up to them, I will not do that. If I bought a flight to Seattle and they flew me to Portland and then said they made a mistake but I can do this to get to Seattle, it would not be okay. I am sorry I submitted a review and will not post again.

I thhink most of us get your point. PLease TRY TO GET MY POINT h ere,,,,,,,,,, I AM NOT never have been and likely never will be a paid HAL employee hired to defend the company. I AM A SENIOR CItiIZEN WIDOW WHO HAS SAILED HAlL a great many times........... Because I am a retired, widow and love cruisng, I enjoy spending my free time posting here on CC. there is nothin gin it for me and I don't care for the implication you make that a some of us are defending HA L as company employees hired to do so. Q uite insulting, IMO> .

I Am not and most sincerely doubt anyone else here is. there is nothin g in it for any of us, that I know of but for the pleasure we may get from our participation here. If you wish to apologize for such an implication and smear to our chraracter. , that would be fine. If we have not provided you with the responses you sought, sorry but as I sta te , it is not a paid position for us. We come here to a free Internet cruise BB same,, persumably as you.

We all sufffer disappointtments in life and get i this HAL expderrience has disaappointed you. Okay,... it happens. Not our fault . You have a choicer You can fret , moaan and complain about it, or make alernative plans, g et on with ypur vacion plans and enjoy.; All best wishes.

Edited by sail7seas

I realize large companies hire people to do nothing but check social network sites like this and defend the company. I don't know if that is the case here, however. I spent money for a service and they did not provide that service, what is the confusion. Lots of people are quick to tell how I should have changed my plans to accomodate the company. I disagree, I am the customer, If they did not want to give me what I paid for they never should have allowed the booking, and the garbage about computer delays is just hogwash. If other people want to give a company money for something and then have the company tell them what to they need to do because they made a mistake then that is up to them, I will not do that. If I bought a flight to Seattle and they flew me to Portland and then said they made a mistake but I can do this to get to Seattle, it would not be okay. I am sorry I submitted a review and will not post again.

I understand your frustration.

I want to help. So my question would be , what was the $200 short about? I ask because my recent problem with HAL involved insurance and by contacting guest relations and I was able to straighten things out and I was satisfied in all my objections.

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

or call 800 599 8256

I realize large companies hire people to do nothing but check social network sites like this and defend the company. I don't know if that is the case here, however.
It isn't. I see no one in this thread posting anything that is biased in favor of the company. What you're seeing is people explaining the truth, nothing more. And very often in the mass market, the reality of the marketplace seems to consumers as if it is biased in favor of the service providers. That doesn't make it any less the reality.

I, myself, post comparable comments (probably even comparable comments about booking cancellations for cause, like this one) on forums of six different cruise lines representing four different competing corporations - which one is supposed to be paying me for "defending" three of their competitors? I need some OBC for my upcoming cruises! :tropical-drink:

I am sorry I submitted a review and will not post again.
That's unfortunate. There is so much we can learn from each other to make our vacations better. Please do not shut yourself off from that because you're disappointed with the way things are with regard to this one aspect of the industry. The vast majority of what we learn about from each other are great things about cruising, fantastic excursions to take at the ports, the wonderful dining experiences, etc.

I have a lot of patience!!! I've been reading about this situation and have responded to bUU on a wonderful description of this situation with Jones Act etc. I am very disturbed that you feel we work with HAL!

I am writing because when you IMO just posted for help and everyone is trying to help and you directly again IMO get on Sails7seas who has given me such great advice over the years and is such a great contributor as well as a lot of our CC families sorry shame on you! Know one here is trying to get you upset! They are all wanting to help!! I am sorry that you feel you will not post anymore. You can learn so much from all like I have over the years!

PS I too am retired young from Dentistry and so enjoy reading on our blog!

Hope you come back!

Denise:)

Don't know why it matters but it was not a HAL travel agent. However I did communicate with HAL directly as did my travel agent and was not led to believe it was okay but was given instructions on how to transfer from one ship to the other.

It isn't. I see no one in this thread posting anything that is biased in favor of the company. What you're seeing is people explaining the truth, nothing more. And very often in the mass market, the reality of the marketplace seems to consumers as if it is biased in favor of the service providers. That doesn't make it any less the reality.

I, myself, post comparable comments (probably even comparable comments about booking cancellations for cause, like this one) on forums of six different cruise lines representing four different competing corporations - which one is supposed to be paying me for "defending" three of their competitors? I need some OBC for my upcoming cruises! :tropical-drink:

That's unfortunate. There is so much we can learn from each other to make our vacations better. Please do not shut yourself off from that because you're disappointed with the way things are with regard to this one aspect of the industry. The vast majority of what we learn about from each other are great things about cruising, fantastic excursions to take at the ports, the wonderful dining experiences, etc.

OP.............. in th emdist of your

pointinggout your disappointment with us, did you learn anything from us? Were all our effrts invvain and of no value to you?

Most of the people who responded to your post are long time CC members who post regularly in this forum. I have no reason to believe that they're hired by HAL to do nothing but check social network sites like this and defend the company.

What happened to you is unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

Roz

I have a lot of patience!!! I've been reading about this situation and have responded to bUU on a wonderful description of this situation with Jones Act etc. I am very disturbed that you feel we work with HAL!

I am writing because when you IMO just posted for help and everyone is trying to help and you directly again IMO get on Sails7seas who has given me such great advice over the years and is such a great contributor as well as a lot of our CC families sorry shame on you! Know one here is trying to get you upset! They are all wanting to help!! I am sorry that you feel you will not post anymore. You can learn so much from all like I have over the years!

PS I too am retired young from Dentistry and so enjoy reading on our blog!

Hope you come back!

Denise:)

Denise you are alwaysszo kind. thank you.

OP, do you not seehow many here have tried to help you? Did you notice how many particicpated in an efffort to help ? Where else would you find so much voluntary help?

Edited by sail7seas

Well, I am a retired senior also. I am glad HAL has such loyal customers and had they treated me right I might have been one. I have cruised on several cruise lines so far looking for the one I will stick with. I have tried each one more than once. This year I intended to try HAL, RCI and Celebrity. I am generally a very loyal customer and once I pick a cruise line I will be a loyal customer looking forward to years of cruises. However I expect to get what I pay for and expect people and businesses to follow through on promises. Unfortunately for HAL they have lost the opportunity to be one of the finalist in my quest. If you were offended by my statements then ignore them if they do not apply to you. I am sorry I may have offended anyone.

I understand your frustration.

I want to help. So my question would be , what was the $200 short about? I ask because my recent problem with HAL involved insurance and by contacting guest relations and I was able to straighten things out and I was satisfied in all my objections.

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

or call 800 599 8256

Thank you for wanting to help. I am giving my Travel Agent a few more days to get this corrected and then I will use the information you provided to check into it. It was not the travel insurance I was able to move that to my next cruise in July. Thank you again for your help.

Well, I am a retired senior also. I am glad HAL has such loyal customers and had they treated me right I might have been one. I have cruised on several cruise lines so far looking for the one I will stick with. I have tried each one more than once. This year I intended to try HAL, RCI and Celebrity. I am generally a very loyal customer and once I pick a cruise line I will be a loyal customer looking forward to years of cruises. However I expect to get what I pay for and expect people and businesses to follow through on promises. Unfortunately for HAL they have lost the opportunity to be one of the finalist in my quest. If you were offended by my statements then ignore them if they do not apply to you. I am sorry I may have offended anyone.

Did we not post anhything useful? did you learn anythhing from all our posts?

Thank you for coming here to tell us about your deep disappointment .Bes t wishes.

🤗 thank you for coming back!!

That means a lot to me. I would be frustrated as well!!

Hang in there for resolution. I do hope things work out for you!

HAL CCers are always wanting to help!

Denise :)

I'm glad you posted your experience here because it certainly brought to light a situation that I didn't know much about.

I would be upset as well if I were allowed to book and pay for a vacation and the company waited til less than a month before to tell me that part of the vacation was cancelled.

I find it hard to believe that they just figured this out now.

Most of the people who responded to your post are long time CC members who post regularly in this forum. I have no reason to believe that they're hired by HAL to do nothing but check social network sites like this and defend the company.

What happened to you is unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

Roz

+1

I think what may have upset the OP is that she was given alternative solutions for a way to still enjoy her vacation. It seems like she preferred to hear she was "right" rather than hear solutions that would allow her to still take her trip. I will fully admit that this situation stinks and HAL made a mistake. Should she be compensated in some form? I believe that HAL [or really her TA for that matter] could/should do something to "ease the pain" from a customer service standpoint. But the reality is, as Roz so simply stated, it is not the end of the world to have a one night "cruise" cancelled when it was really just being used a a form of transport. The stress of cancelling all her plans, including house-sitters and car repairs, not to mention time off work, just out of principle seems to me like making a mountain out of a molehill. Now she has no vacation to enjoy, which at least in my opinion, is worse than the inconvenience of finding a way to get to Seattle from very-close-by Vancouver.

Thank you for wanting to help. I am giving my Travel Agent a few more days to get this corrected and then I will use the information you provided to check into it. It was not the travel insurance I was able to move that to my next cruise in July. Thank you again for your help.

Great!....and best of luck. Let us know how this plays out.

Happy Cruising!