Premium all inclusive - your views ? & Poll

Are you in favour of NCL's new Premium all inclusive  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of NCL's new Premium all inclusive

• Yes
    • NO - i want choice
    • Not bothered

I don't know what Maraprince wants but I suspect its what a good majority want, a decent cruise with accommodations for sleep and basic dining. We get there are things that the costs are shared amoung passengers like slides, flow riders, mini golf, shows etc.

What we don't want is to subsidize other passengers for things we might no use like alcohol, specialty dining, specialty coffee or even things like internet. So when our fare goes up hundreds of $ and we receive no benefit there's a problem. Remember, NCL never does things out of the goodness of their hearts, it's bottom line thinking and they are sure they will make more because they know many passengers don't drink booze or coffee or much of what is becoming all inclusive.

Yeah there are winners and loser and if you are a winner it looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread. While that's ok, its not ok for the winners to think those against this are whinners or complainers. We're not, we want a fare deal nothing more and nothing less. Look at the poll so far, a lot more losers than winners and that's not good for any of us.

Your post is exactly what I was talking about! I am being charged for drink/food packages that I would not choose never mind paying extra for. With the seating capacity in the speciality/extra charge restaurants being so limited, only a fraction of the passengers can be accommodated with the majority using the MDRs. Unless NCL intends to go back to larger dining rooms that accommodate 1/2 of 3000-4000 passengers on board I do not see how it will work with passengers already having problems getting the dining time they want and it taking up to 2 hrs. or more to complete dinner.

MARAPRINCE

Why do senior management never consult with loyal cruisers before making major decisions ?
Are you suggesting that they should run all decisions by us first and only go ahead with those that are popular with current customers? Pretty soon there would be no cruise line left to be loyal to… Customers ultimately get to determine whether the decision was a good or bad one, but they don't get to run the company (luckily).

NCL has plenty of data about customer behavior, so they already know a lot about what customers want without consulting them directly. But their goal is not to give customers everything they want; their goal is to manipulate customer behavior in ways that are profitable for the company. This is easy to do when things line up nicely (for example, I imagine that a majority of UK customers are happy to have the UBP included in their booking, and the company is happy to include it), but in most cases, the cruise line has to encourage customers do things that they don't necessarily want to do (for example, pay the DSC, or pay for anything, really).

We started cruising because it was cheaper than going to an all inclusive resort (we use points / miles to fly to our ports). We liked that it had much better food, entertainment, cleanliness, etc then a resort. But, with all of the recent price hikes to include all the "freebies", we might have to go back to all inclusive resorts (the crappy exchange rate doesn't help either). We will likely have to start cruising on the shoulder of hurricane season to get better prices then our preferred month of April. *sigh*

No i'm saying talk to their customers is that to much to ask ?

Oh yes the same old same old - it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Are you suggesting that they should run all decisions by us first and only go ahead with those that are popular with current customers? Pretty soon there would be no cruise line left to be loyal to… Customers ultimately get to determine whether the decision was a good or bad one, but they don't get to run the company (luckily).

NCL has plenty of data about customer behavior, so they already know a lot about what customers want without consulting them directly. But their goal is not to give customers everything they want; their goal is to manipulate customer behavior in ways that are profitable for the company. This is easy to do when things line up nicely (for example, I imagine that a majority of UK customers are happy to have the UBP included in their booking, and the company is happy to include it), but in most cases, the cruise line has to encourage customers do things that they don't necessarily want to do (for example, pay the DSC, or pay for anything, really).

No i'm saying talk to their customers is that to much to ask ?
Their communication has improved a lot over the last few years. They have even been doing a traveling tea party around the UK to present Premium All-Inclusive. They are talking to their customers. It sounds to me like you are asking for more than that, and yes, it's probably something that they can't give you.

Their communication has improved a lot over the last few years. They have even been doing a traveling tea party around the UK to present Premium All-Inclusive. They are talking to their customers. It sounds to me like you are asking for more than that, and yes, it's probably something that they can't give you.

And who was invited to the travelling tea party

I like the simplicity of the PAI package. I am excited for it to be offered in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it will be some time. This has been forced on NCL and if you do not believe me look at thier accounts and UK holiday industry comments. All cruise lines out of UK are going all in. No fly all in and priced in £!!!! for any extras

The UK is a problem for US cruise lines

The UK holiday market is moving to All inclusive

We do not use TA generally and book on internet

£/$ is a massive issue

UK and European customers will not pay Service charges on the drinks - with a habit of removing the 18% from the drink price now developing - so that had to be countered

DSC was simply not being paid by a significant number of guests

So we get the expensive Premium all inclusive!!!

Like it or not it came to the UK for a reason and not US - No need to offer it there !!

Absolutely correct

It's basically a price hike by another name.

Will I still cruise exclusively NCL? Yes. NCL are still cheaper than the only other line that would currently fulfil my families cruising requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

£300 for a £100 DSC bill and a bottle of water. Let me think about that now.

My cruise went up £500 (for 2) overnight with the introduction of AI. As others have said, it's just an excuse for a price hike

I am an American living in Europe. I was looking at adding an extra cruise to my summer vacation and the price went up 1000$ per /person. That and not being a drinker there is no way I would book with NCL for this summer. It doesn't work for me. I will just have to VPN into America to book my next cruise if I choose to stay with NCL.

i like the all in concept but the prices are too high. for me as a single cruiser the prices for an inside cabin are ok but with balcony they want about 90% of the all in price of two persons, that is too much.

Hmmm :confused: talking to their customers - sounds a bit like close the stable door after the horse has bolted !!

Your post is exactly what I was talking about! I am being charged for drink/food packages that I would not choose never mind paying extra for. With the seating capacity in the speciality/extra charge restaurants being so limited, only a fraction of the passengers can be accommodated with the majority using the MDRs. Unless NCL intends to go back to larger dining rooms that accommodate 1/2 of 3000-4000 passengers on board I do not see how it will work with passengers already having problems getting the dining time they want and it taking up to 2 hrs. or more to complete dinner.

MARAPRINCE

Same here, does this mean Platinum Plus advantages will be diminished?

it will be some time. This has been forced on NCL and if you do not believe me look at thier accounts and UK holiday industry comments. All cruise lines out of UK are going all in. No fly all in and priced in £!!!! for any extras

The UK is a problem for US cruise lines

The UK holiday market is moving to All inclusive

We do not use TA generally and book on internet

£/$ is a massive issue

UK and European customers will not pay Service charges on the drinks - with a habit of removing the 18% from the drink price now developing - so that had to be countered

DSC was simply not being paid by a significant number of guests

So we get the expensive Premium all inclusive!!!

Like it or not it came to the UK for a reason and not US - No need to offer it there !!

The product was rolled out first in Germany - are they DSC removers?? or is it because the Germans generally pay more for their vacations.

Annie

The product was rolled out first in Germany - are they DSC removers?? or is it because the Germans generally pay more for their vacations.

Annie

When was it rolled out in Germany

I believe they do pay more highly and also they have one ship based in Hamburg this summer to sell and the Getaway in Copenhagen!! and you picked on just one point. The AI is NOT just about the DSC removal (but is a major issue with UK guests). I know many do not agree but the UK brochure actually had in the T & C a clause about how to remove the Service charge. Whilst I have no inside info I give it 18 months before NCL realise the cruises are no longer competitive in the UK market or savvy IT people use a VPN to book through the US site even with the weak pound. US agents know this and watch the pricing on some well known sites.

I suppose the issue is this NCL need higher revenue (as to all companies) and this is an attempt to get it. Will it work - only time will tell but I suspect it will need to be modified. UBP has been amazingly popular and to now withdraw it may have been an issue or cause serious problems with bookings and expectation management, and therefore just push the price up to cover the cost of this promotion

Edited by bmwman
Spelling

Annie

I read somewhere (probably on CC) that Mein Schiff and TUI (the two home-grown German lines) were AI so NCL trialled AI in competition to them. As UK does not have that same AI model (P&O and CMV anyway) they may find the market more resistant.

We have not sailed NCL since FDR took over and the UBP package 'freebie' became the norm. Given our drinks bill on previous NCL cruises:eek:, AI would probably be worth it for us. We ran a few numbers for NCL against Azamara and cost-wise there is not a lot of difference. Experience and itinerary-wise NCL are not in the same ball-park.

We have a Regent Seven Seas cruise booked for next year - that should throw an interesting twist into the calculations as well.