Shareholder Benefit Program question

Ken the cruiser

On the other hand if you owned RCI stock, you can only get shareholder OBC if you don't otherwise receive any when you book your cruise (e.g., if you book an inside room or a TA).

To be sure I understand this... are you saying that for RCI, their shareholder credit is not combinable with any other OBC offers? For instance, if the shareholder credit is worth $250, and your TA or the cruise line itself offers a $200 OBC for your booking, you'll have to choose the better one, which, in this example, would be the shareholder credit of $250?

To be sure I understand this... are you saying that for RCI, their shareholder credit is not combinable with any other OBC offers? For instance, if the shareholder credit is worth $250, and your TA or the cruise line itself offers a $200 OBC for your booking, you'll have to choose the better one, which, in this example, would be the shareholder credit of $250?

Ding, ding, ding, ding. Give the winner a cupie doll.

Ironically Celebrity built in the perks cost by raising the cruise price but because you get the perk, you don't qualify to combine the shareholder benefit. Only Trans Atlantic and inside cabins that receive no perks will qualify for shareholder benefit.

We were shocked when we heard that too. Luckily the RCL stock price was too high when we thought about buying some to cash in on the shareholder OBC benefit. We would have been quite torqued if we would have learned this "fine print" point AFTER buying the stock. Just another reason why I enjoy CC and all the folks that participate in its threads. :)

Folks, this is really not an onerous process. Download an application form that requires your name & address and cruise details (how hard is that). Email that along with the a redacted copy of a proxy or broker statement and in a day or two you will get your approval or rejection of the shareholder benefit. If that is too much work for the $100 benefit and simply don't do it.

Granted as previously mentioned, some other cruise lines offer a bigger benefit, i.e. my 10 day cruise would have attracted a $250 credit versus the $100 credit but other cruise lines it would've applied it all because the benefit is not combinable.

This program is really quite simple and not a lot of work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HOWEVER <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just make sure you get it.

Shortly after applying I did receive an approval email and the credit DID show on my booking documents from O but it was not applied to my on-board statement.

I really dont understand that; how can it be on my booking statement along with other charges and credits but not get on the shipboard account.

I did not notice until reviewing the invoice at breakfast prior to disembarkation. Too late - missed the 8:00 am cut-off. Will contact Customer Relations but not going to let this taint my vacation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HOWEVER <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just make sure you get it.

Shortly after applying I did receive an approval email and the credit DID show on my booking documents from O but it was not applied to my on-board statement.

I really dont understand that; how can it be on my booking statement along with other charges and credits but not get on the shipboard account.

I did not notice until reviewing the invoice at breakfast prior to disembarkation. Too late - missed the 8:00 am cut-off. Will contact Customer Relations but not going to let this taint my vacation.

Good to know. It sounds like the lesson learned is to make sure our shareholders OBC is on the shipboard account when we check into the cruise. We'll definitely note that on the booking statement we take with us on the cruise as a reminder to check. Thanks!

CORRECTION (one of the few times I could have used the no longer available post subject line)

I *DID* get the $100 credit. I did not recognize it on the statement as it showed as two separate line items; a $50 credit for guest 1 and $50 for guest 2. I had several OBCs so missed this looking for the $100. All is well. Enjoy your credit, your cruise, your investment.

CORRECTION (one of the few times I could have used the no longer available post subject line)

I *DID* get the $100 credit. I did not recognize it on the statement as it showed as two separate line items; a $50 credit for guest 1 and $50 for guest 2. I had several OBCs so missed this looking for the $100. All is well. Enjoy your credit, your cruise, your investment.

Glad to hear the system in this case did work. However, just to be on the safe side we will still check to make sure all of our OBC due us, whether from O or our TA, is posted to our shipboard account when we check in. But thanks for letting us know. :)

Glad to hear the system in this case did work. However, just to be on the safe side we will still check to make sure all of our OBC due us, whether from O or our TA, is posted to our shipboard account when we check in. But thanks for letting us know. :)

You usually get cards on the desk with any OBC or PPG noted on the card

probably same deal with Shareholder OBC

A separate card for each perk ..you will sign one part of the card to acknowledge the receipt of the OBC ^ return to the room steward

but do also check the statement near the end of the cruise

I just reviewed the form for getting the perks. There is some small print that is worth reviewing carefully. One example, you must own the shares prior to sailing and it only applies to new reservations after January 7, 2017.

It would apply to two of our planned cruises but not the one this coming August

Mary.

• 2 months later...
I just reviewed the form for getting the perks. There is some small print that is worth reviewing carefully. One example, you must own the shares prior to sailing and it only applies to new reservations after January 7, 2017.

Mary.

Did you try to get the OBC for your August cruise? My take is that they're saying 1/7/17 for this particular 2017 offer, but there was likely a 2016 offer that would have applied to earlier reservations. I would certainly try to get it rather than making a possibly incorrect (and expensive) assumption. Worst case, they say no.

I do not own NCL stock, but I will certainly consider buying 100 shares given that I can get $250 OBC for my 18 night cruise next year! I bought CCL to get $100 on HAL earlier this year. Also have RCL but their rules are so restrictive I haven't been able to take advantage of it.

Mary.

We recently bought NCL stock and were able to get the OBC perk applied to a NCL cruise we had booked last June. The only problem we've had so far is getting the perk for an Oceania B2B cruise as they figure they already gave us 5% for hooking the 2 cruises together.

We booked a 2018 cruise in 2016 ( when the OBC info said "for cruises booked after January 1, 2016") and are being told the offer changed to award the credit for cruises booked after January 1, 2017 so are being denied a credit. Am not happy.

We booked a 2018 cruise in 2016 ( when the OBC info said "for cruises booked after January 1, 2016") and are being told the offer changed to award the credit for cruises booked after January 1, 2017 so are being denied a credit. Am not happy.

Wow! That doesn't seem right. I guess the lesson learned when dealing with NCL is to submit a cruise for the OBC perk as soon as you book it.

It's amazing how different the rules are depending on which cruise line you book with if you own the parent company's stock.

I am up enough on my NCCL stock to pay for the cruise. The extra $250 is A very nice bonus. I am not selling it nor my Carnival shares. People are certainly cruising. Asia is creating new opportunities for the lines. Cheap oil prices help the bottom line. Overbuilding might become an issue.

Wow! That doesn't seem right. I guess the lesson learned when dealing with NCL is to submit a cruise for the OBC perk as soon as you book it.

It's amazing how different the rules are depending on which cruise line you book with if you own the parent company's stock.

But doesn't it say that you have to own the stock 90 days before sailing? So what happens if you need to submit it the year you book which is much sooner than 90 days from sailing?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I am up enough on my NCCL stock to pay for the cruise. The extra $250 is A very nice bonus. I am not selling it nor my Carnival shares. People are certainly cruising. Asia is creating new opportunities for the lines. Cheap oil prices help the bottom line. Overbuilding might become an issue.

There was recently an article which said that cruise line stocks were up this year because of increased bookings. I bought CCL earlier this year to get $100 OBC on HAL but it's made me way more than the OBC I got!

But doesn't it say that you have to own the stock 90 days before sailing? So what happens if you need to submit it the year you book which is much sooner than 90 days from sailing?

The 2017 NCL shareholder terms and conditions we printed out only says you have to own at least 100 shares of NCL stock at the time of sailing, which makes sense, and you have to submit the required documentation no later than 15 days prior to sailing.

Where are you reading that you have to own the stock 90 days before sailing?

Where are you reading that you have to own the stock 90 days before sailing?

Sorry, didn't look at the form before posting. But my point is that if they're going to deny requests if you don't submit it the year you book, thus requiring you to submit it a year or even two before your sailing, then how do they enforce the need to own at the time of the the cruise?

Sorry, didn't look at the form before posting. But my point is that if they're going to deny requests if you don't submit it the year you book, thus requiring you to submit it a year or even two before your sailing, then how do they enforce the need to own at the time of the the cruise?

I agree with you, it doesn't make sense. msn123 and others in the same predicament should get the OBC for cruises booked before Jan 7, 2017.

Sounds like a legal gotcha they could use to keep folks from buying the stock in the current year to reap the stock owner benefits on cruises booked in previous years before they were actually a stock owner. It sounds petty, but I'm sure they save quite a bit on denying OBC requests that fail to meet this threshold.

But at least it's not as bad as the RCI shareholder OBC benefits where you can only get it if you are booked on a TA or TP cruise or on a cruise where one of the booked cruise perks is not OBC.

With HAL at least there isn't a time limitation when you actually booked the cruise. You can usually apply for the OBC between 9-12 months before your cruise date, depending on when the CCL stock holder meeting was held.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Have owned the stock for a couple of years and have never had an issue redeeming the benefit....until this rule change. I actually asked the question in 2016 when I was submitting the info for a cruise that year and was told the following:

In response to your inquiry regarding time of application, it is suggested to submit within 30days prior to departure but no later than 15days before sailing. This is to verify active participation of the NCLH shares at time of sailing.

I have their email to prove it! We are frequent Oceania cruisers. Not good shareholder relations as far as I am concerned.

I just emailed them asking when I should submit for my 2018 cruise. I'll post here when I get a response. Also mentioned the rejection that was mentioned here and how it did not seem right.

I guess you went and bought that NCL stock. When did you book the 2018 cruise? If it was booked in 2016, it will be interesting to see what they say. We just booked another Oct 2018 cruise last week and subsequently sent off for our $100 OBC as it was an 8 day cruise tied to our longer 26 day cruise we already had booked. We got the approval back today so I guess they have no issues now with giving separate OBC on both legs of a B2B cruise.

Have owned the stock for a couple of years and have never had an issue redeeming the benefit....until this rule change. I actually asked the question in 2016 when I was submitting the info for a cruise that year and was told the following:

In response to your inquiry regarding time of application, it is suggested to submit within 30days prior to departure but no later than 15days before sailing. This is to verify active participation of the NCLH shares at time of sailing.

I have their email to prove it! We are frequent Oceania cruisers. Not good shareholder relations as far as I am concerned.

Interesting. Their rules seemed to have done a complete 180 degrees compared to their current 2017 rules. My DW just pointed out to me that it is one big "catch 22" in that if you had booked a cruise in 2016 and were going by that 2016 guidance and then the new 2017 rules came out saying it only applies to new bookings after Jan 7, 2017, then you and everyone that was waiting for the last 30 days before their 2017-2018 cruise sail dates, cannot now apply for the OBC. If we are understanding this correctly, that really stinks!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I guess you went and bought that NCL stock. When did you book the 2018 cruise? If it was booked in 2016, it will be interesting to see what they say. We just booked another Oct 2018 cruise last week and subsequently sent off for our $100 OBC as it was an 8 day cruise tied to our longer 26 day cruise we already had booked. We got the approval back today so I guess they have no issues now with giving separate OBC on both legs of a B2B cruise.

I did not, but I will once I confirm that I eligible for the benefit for my 2018 cruise. I booked the cruise this year.