Staggered Check-in enforced at New Orleans Port??

Topgirl2

Can anyone advise if Carnival is enforcing the check in times. We have to give our rental car back at the airport by 10:00 am, but Carnival has given us a 2:00 pm check in time. I don't want to hang out at the airport for 4 hours

They do enforce it, but what you can do is drop your luggage off with the porters and then go walk around the French market, the mall, the River Walk, ect... There is plenty to do in New Orleans within walking distance or a short street car ride.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

If we get Faster to the Fun we can avoid this, right? We don't want to wait late to board when we sail from New Orleans in September.

That is correct, if you have FTTF you have to pick a time, but can show up as early as you would like.

Can someone please "walk" me through this process. I am a veteran of almost 40 cruises but have never had to do a staggered arrival time. We are a high enough Loyalty member with most of the cruise lines we sail and can usually arrive when it suits us. This being our first Carnival cruise in 23 years I'm unfamiliar with this process. Also this is our first cruise leaving out of New Orleans.

So ............ someone has their arrival time and you get to the port, how do they handle the process?

Do you stand in the line with everyone arriving with all different arrival times and they sort you out as you get to the front of the line?

Do they have different holding areas for different arrival times?

What do I need to know?

First, the NOLA airport is not near the cruise port. Guessing 20-30 minute taxi ride. Check-in time is to get into the terminal, not to board the ship. We didn't have FTTF, and arrived about 20 minutes past our checkin time, and walked right past everyone waiting outside that arrived early for their time. IMHO, I would not want to be stuck waiting outside in unpredictable weather. After checkin, we had to sit 15-20 minutes inside the terminal waiting for our boarding zone to be called. Boarding ramp is a zig-zag ramp to the ship. Moved slow for us.

They do enforce it, but what you can do is drop your luggage off with the porters and then go walk around the French market, the mall, the River Walk, ect... There is plenty to do in New Orleans within walking distance or a short street car ride.

Great advice to the op.

First, the NOLA airport is not near the cruise port. Guessing 20-30 minute taxi ride. Check-in time is to get into the terminal, not to board the ship. We didn't have FTTF, and arrived about 20 minutes past our checkin time, and walked right past everyone waiting outside that arrived early for their time. IMHO, I would not want to be stuck waiting outside in unpredictable weather. After checkin, we had to sit 15-20 minutes inside the terminal waiting for our boarding zone to be called. Boarding ramp is a zig-zag ramp to the ship. Moved slow for us.

I am aware of where the airport is and that the check in time does not mean the time you board the ship.

I was more interested in the actual mechanics of when you arrive at the terminal.

How do get to the check in line at your approved time with there are tons of people milling around outside waiting? How do you know where to go? How do you just not get stuck in with the other masses of people who are just waiting for their check in time?

I am aware of where the airport is and that the check in time does not mean the time you board the ship.

I was more interested in the actual mechanics of when you arrive at the terminal.

How do get to the check in line at your approved time with there are tons of people milling around outside waiting? How do you know where to go? How do you just not get stuck in with the other masses of people who are just waiting for their check in time?

All the issues you are questioning are the reasons why they started staggered check in and more importantly, why it works so well. If everyone follows what they are supposed to do, there are no long lines, there are many people outside giving everyone direction. Bring your sheet showing your time and you are in. The staggered check in is a significant improvement in the process, that solves the "thousands of people milling around" that you describe. Enjoy your cruise.

Can anyone advise if Carnival is enforcing the check in times. We have to give our rental car back at the airport by 10:00 am, but Carnival has given us a 2:00 pm check in time. I don't want to hang out at the airport for 4 hours

Did you select your boarding time during online check in or did you miss this step so Carnival assigned you this time?

People just mill about or walk around the area until check in time, there is no group or boarding calls outside the terminal. There is a Mardi Gras float museum right there at the port.

All the issues you are questioning are the reasons why they started staggered check in and more importantly, why it works so well. If everyone follows what they are supposed to do, there are no long lines, there are many people outside giving everyone direction. Bring your sheet showing your time and you are in. The staggered check in is a significant improvement in the process, that solves the "thousands of people milling around" that you describe. Enjoy your cruise.

As I said this is cruise number 39 for us. It's not like I'm a new cruiser but this is something I've not encountered in the past.

If people don't ask questions, how do they get the answers they need?

Thanks so much for your helpful comments.

As I said this is cruise number 39 for us. It's not like I'm a new cruiser but this is something I've not encountered in the past.

If people don't ask questions, how do they get the answers they need?

Thanks so much for your helpful comments.

Lol, did I mention that you were inexperienced? My reply was simply based upon your comment on not having experienced staggered check in. You asked about staggered checkin and I answered your question. I was not passing judgement, just explaining the process and why it works. I was fine with your asking and was replying....nothing more.

Lol, did I mention that you were inexperienced? My reply was simply based upon your comment on not having experienced staggered check in. You asked about staggered checkin and I answered your question. I was not passing judgement, just explaining the process and why it works. I was fine with your asking and was replying....nothing more.

I'm sorry for the judgement but it's very difficult to read "tone" on message boards.

Thank you for your input.

Can someone please "walk" me through this process. I am a veteran of almost 40 cruises but have never had to do a staggered arrival time. We are a high enough Loyalty member with most of the cruise lines we sail and can usually arrive when it suits us. This being our first Carnival cruise in 23 years I'm unfamiliar with this process. Also this is our first cruise leaving out of New Orleans.

So ............ someone has their arrival time and you get to the port, how do they handle the process?

Do you stand in the line with everyone arriving with all different arrival times and they sort you out as you get to the front of the line?

Do they have different holding areas for different arrival times?

What do I need to know?

If you are Platinum or Diamond (your boarding pass shows "Priority") then you can show up as early as you like and do not have to abide by the assigned check in time.

That is nothing new.

Another option is to purchase Carnival transfers because they can also check in upon arrival at the port. It may cost a little more than the taxi from the airport but you wouldn't need to hang around waiting for your check in time. Just a thought.

After you are dropped off or park your car, you will give your luggage to the porters. You will then show your boarding pass to a carnival employee. If you are within your boarding time, they will let you into the terminal. If you are outside of your time, you will be redirected to a line in which you will stand until they call your particular boarding time over the loud speaker. My husband dropped me and the girls off and then parked in the Fulton Garage. We were within our window to board, but he was not back yet. They had us wait in a holding area outside until he arrived. Once he arrived, we were able to board. I hope this helps you.

After you are dropped off or park your car, you will give your luggage to the porters. You will then show your boarding pass to a carnival employee. If you are within your boarding time, they will let you into the terminal. If you are outside of your time, you will be redirected to a line in which you will stand until they call your particular boarding time over the loud speaker. My husband dropped me and the girls off and then parked in the Fulton Garage. We were within our window to board, but he was not back yet. They had us wait in a holding area outside until he arrived. Once he arrived, we were able to board. I hope this helps you.

Perfect description of what I was looking for.

Thank you for the information.

If you have a taxi or shuttle to the port, the driver should know exactly where to drop you off so that you can easily find where to go. We cruised on our very first cruise out of NOLA in Jan and had no idea what we were doing either, but it was easy enough to figure out from where we were dropped off. :)

We just returned from New Orleans. I was unaware of the staggered check in. I somehow missed this info and it was clearly on my boarding pass. We got to the port at 9 and they told us we couldn't board until 1. I was very upset. We sat there on a bench surrounded by lots of smokers who also didn't know about the process. They told us we could walk to the river park but we had a 12 pack of cokes and both had a carry on bag so we didn't want to lug that around. We sat there until around 12 and they finically let us check in

Sent from my iPad using Forums