Using $ 50 excursion credit

Hi guys. I know this has been answered before but I have been searching for 1/2 an hour and can't find the thread. We are sailing on the Sun on May 15th San Francisco to Vancouver. We have the $50 excursion credit and know we have to call NCL and book over the phone for this promotion. Can someone provide me with the dedicated phone# for doing this? Thanks

Are you saying you can't use the credit to book an excursion once on board?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Promotional T&Cs for NCL can be found here:

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Specifically, the Excursion credit:

$50 Per Port Shore Excursion Credit:

$50 USD per port shore excursion credit is per stateroom.

Credit has no monetary value and is nonrefundable.

In the event a port of call or excursion is missed, for any reason, no refund or credit will be issued.

Shore excursion credit is applicable for each port, including debarkation port, and is not transferable to other ports. Use the credit or lose it.

Does not include embarkation ports. Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

So if I booked the 'Free at sea' with the $50 excursion credit per port- unless I called it in or booked on board I'd lose the credit? And let's say I did book excursion (s) pre cruise online- can I cancel it (them) and re-book either by phone or on the ship and get my money back

You would have to cancel by calling the Excursion line anyway..... you should ask them and maybe they just code it differently without issuing a cancellation .... T&Cs are typically not open for interpretation to protect both the customer and the company.

It's either 24 or 48 hours before an excursion that you can cancel with full refund (by phone or on board)

So if I booked the 'Free at sea' with the $50 excursion credit per port- unless I called it in or booked on board I'd lose the credit? And let's say I did book excursion (s) pre cruise online- can I cancel it (them) and re-book either by phone or on the ship and get my money back

You only get the credit if you actually take the excursion. There's no credit to "lose" as it's not a general OBC that you can use for anything else. You must book by calling pre-cruise or by booking on board.

And when you call in advance to book an excursion using the promo, you are not charged. You will be charged on board. As noted above, if you need to cancel a booked excursion, you must do so within the time specified.

You only get the credit if you actually take the excursion. There's no credit to "lose" as it's not a general OBC that you can use for anything else. You must book by calling pre-cruise or by booking on board.

And when you call in advance to book an excursion using the promo, you are not charged. You will be charged on board. As noted above, if you need to cancel a booked excursion, you must do so within the time specified.

So this another way NCL tries to take advantage of us?- give us the promo/ credit- then encourage us to pre book excursions after we register online and then charge our cc cards and hope we don't read the small print, don't catch up until it's too late -when are back home and take a good look at our on board charges?:mad:

So this another way NCL tries to take advantage of us?- give us the promo/ credit- then encourage us to pre book excursions after we register online and then charge our cc cards and hope we don't read the small print, don't catch up until it's too late -when are back home and take a good look at our on board charges?:mad:

I am not being snarky but.... not sure NCL is trying to take advantage of you....... the T&Cs are right there for you to read..... there is a level of responsibility you have when you accept a promo to know the exact benefits and how to redeem them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
You would have to cancel by calling the Excursion line anyway..... you should ask them and maybe they just code it differently without issuing a cancellation .... T&Cs are typically not open for interpretation to protect both the customer and the company.

It's either 24 or 48 hours before an excursion that you can cancel with full refund (by phone or on board)

I cruise in 10 days and was just noticing(fully comprehending) the "fine print". Has anyone had experience with canceling an excursion by calling them? Do they refund with a credit to your credit card that you paid with? OR is it in the form of on board credit??

It's a bit frustrating when you call to make a reservation like the promotion states to do and the recorded message says to go on line and make your reservation and before you know what you've done, you've booked an excursion, paid for it, and not received the $50 credit. Just trying to get my $50 back--by way of cash rather than OBC.

Do not book online if you expect to get the $50 excursion credit. You must either call or book when on board. You should be able to call and re-book with the credit. Also, I was told that tours on embarking and disembarking days do not qualify for the credit.

I cruise in 10 days and was just noticing(fully comprehending) the "fine print". Has anyone had experience with canceling an excursion by calling them? Do they refund with a credit to your credit card that you paid with? OR is it in the form of on board credit??
If you pre-booked and paid the full price with your credit card, they will refund your card if you cancel before sailing. If you cancel on board, you get OBC (refundable, I assume).

I think lots of people in your situation have just left things like that and claimed the $50 credit on board (again, it shows up as OBC). If you don't want OBC, call to cancel and rebook now. Basically start all over, and do everything the way the terms said in the first place.

Also, I was told that tours on embarking and disembarking days do not qualify for the credit.
The current terms say that the disembarkation port is included: "Shore excursion credit is applicable for each port, including debarkation port". Earlier versions of the promo did not allow disembarkation day tours, so maybe they really look at when you booked to decide if you can use it or not for that.

The embarkation port is not included, but is there even such a thing as embarkation day excursions through NCL?

When we did this in March we called the excursion number to make our reservations. We were NOT charged for the excursions until we got onboard. The full price of all the excursions was charged to our on board account on the first day. The $50 credit did not show up until after we had taken the excursion - I think once the ship set sail from that port.

The one thing that almost bit us was I had pre-paid for a lot of OBC because of the AMEX deal. They used all of that refundable credit first. Our last day excursion was one we were expecting the $50 credit for. So once we set sail, we had ~$40 of NON-refundable credit and it was the last night on the ship. It wasn't an issue for us because we went and played the final BINGO. But just keep in mind the order in which they charge and credit you. That being said, I don't know how they would apply it to a disembarkation tour since you have to settle your account before you get off the ship.

I just got off the phone with NCL excursion line. They said booking on-line is not a problem and that I will see the credit added to my onboard account after the excursion. And, if I do not have expenses that take the $50 credit, a refund check will be mailed to me as I have already paid for the excursion up front. Whew...good to know.

• Like 1

It's not fine print. It's called terms and conditions and you should always read them when buying something. Don't blame NCL because you didn't read the T&C.

I don't even have this promo and even I know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with NCL excursion line. They said booking on-line is not a problem and that I will see the credit added to my onboard account after the excursion. And, if I do not have expenses that take the $50 credit, a refund check will be mailed to me as I have already paid for the excursion up front. Whew...good to know.

Thank you for posting, I was dreading having to call and cancel what I already booked on line then have to try to rebook. Now let's just hope it works!

• 4 weeks later...

I know the T&C state one thing but I too called today and received the same information. Works out better for us to pay now rather than on board for several reasons but would agree that is would work out for most to pay later.

I have been told by THREE different Hotel Directors and THREE different Shore Excursion Managers (while on cruises), that Shore Excursion Credit you receive as a booking promotion is : USE IT OR LOSE IT!!! It is not convertible into OBC and cannot be refunded. I have been on three different ships with Shore Excursion promotional credit that I did not use, and was told each time that the credit had to be used or you would lose it, which I did.

utwofan and others on this thread are not really talking about the shorex credit. They are talking about an onboard refund corresponding to the amount of the shorex credit that they were unable to use when pre-purchasing their excursions. It makes sense for this credit to be refundable because they have already paid the full price for their excursions in each port.