Tipping staff

grandmomgwen

I know that we are assessed for tips, but does anyone leave a tip for dinner, and/ or give the cabin steward a tip each day? We're traveling with two teens, and I think we are getting fabulous service on Carnival Pride, so it should be acknowledged....Also a note​ to management.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

The "accessed" tips cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter. There is no need to give more. Each person, whether adult or teen is accessed the same amount. You are covered!

If someone goes "above and beyond", feel free to tip additionally what you feel that service is worth.

Tipping is done on the last evening....not "as you go"...so bear that in mind!

No, I do not leave additional tips for the waitstaff or the cabin attendant. I feel that the tips assessed by Carnival are adequate. (And I, too, have cruised on the Pride.)

But do what you want--it's your money.

There are tons and tons of previous threads on this topic.

Everyone has a different opinion as to tipping extra and how much etc.

Just put "tipping" into the search box and you will find them all.

Do as you think best. Everyone has a different size purse and feels differently about amounts to tip extra. Lots of folks give something extra to their cabin steward and to the wait staff Some also tip extra for bartenders even though there is a 15% tip already give for each drink.

It is really up to you and no one will say a word if you tip more or less than others.

When we go to anytime dining in the MDR we tip a few bucks to the three servers each night. For me it adds up to the same amount if we had the same servers and tipped at the end of the week. We also tip the guys at breakfast. They are always super appreciative.

The "accessed" tips cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter. There is no need to give more. Each person, whether adult or teen is accessed the same amount. You are covered!

If someone goes "above and beyond", feel free to tip additionally what you feel that service is worth.

Says who? I tip "as I go" all the time. The staff doesn't seem to mind

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are those the only staff who access the assessed tips? ;)

Don't leave any more? Lol. I've been a waiter for 35 years. Nothing I appreciate more than a little bit extra. I've been at my job 15 years. I have multiple requests nightly at my fine dining steakhouse here in Colorado. I am well taken care of. I go above and beyond for these people. I make sure they get stuff that isn't on the menu. Always give a little extra and you will get a little extra. I always tip extra especially the first night. You will be blown away how much extra they will do for you. I love taking care of people. And I love when people take care of me when I'm on vacation.

We felt our waitstaff in the MDR were wonderful so we did give them an additional tip on the last night. Our cabin steward wasn't that great so we didn't give him extra. We did not get more than 10 drinks between 5 of us the entire cruise so we never tipped bartenders. Edited to add....Actually now that I think about it, we did tip $1 to the bartenders for our drinks.

Edited by amydresh

That's why I hate the whole pre tip thing. Wish we could just tip the people that deserve to be tipped.

What about all the staff whom you do not come in contact with who work to make your vacation enjoyable ?

They don't deserve to be tipped ?

Like those who cook the food you eat, those who launder the sheets, towels etc you expect to be clean and available, those who clean the discarded dishes up from the hallways so you don't trip over them (I could go on & on).

This is why the auto tips system is in place because you only meet a few of the hundreds of staff who impact your vacation.

What about all the staff whom you do not come in contact with who work to make your vacation enjoyable ?

Like those who cook the food you eat, those who launder the sheets, towels etc you expect to be clean and available, those who clean the discarded dishes up from the hallways so you don't trip over them (I could go on & on).

This is why the auto tips system is in place because you only meet a few of the hundreds of staff who impact your vacation.

And don't forget the officers who safely get you to your destination too, run upto the Bridge and slip them a few hundred.

And don't forget the officers who safely get you to your destination too, run upto the Bridge and slip them a few hundred.

The tips don't spread as far and as wide as many think they do and certainly don't extend to the fully salaried staff.

OP if the service is acceptable I will not generally leave any extra. If I have made any special requests through the week then I will generally leave an extra tip as a thank you. A feedback card is also a good way to recognize deserving staff.

That's why I hate the whole pre tip thing.

I love that I can pay gratuities upfront. This will be our first cruise and it makes it way easier to plan and budget. I am sure that above and beyond will deserve extra and I will deal with it then. But just like anything else, some people like it and others do not.

Search for this subject here on these threads, there have been hundreds of threads regarding this very subject over the years. It is a personal choice and do it if you want to and when you want to. You do not need to know what others do as you will get a lot opinions, just do what is right for you and your family.

This may be true for YOU, but please don't make the OP think this is the ONLY way tipping is done because it isn't.

We always do the pre-paid tips (that used to be voluntary, not sure if it is anymore) and then tip others as we see fit. On our January Dream cruise we gave our room steward an extra tip on the first day, as we had a couple requests. She was great all week, so we left an additional tip in the room when we left on the last morning.

We had Anytime Dining, and different servers each night so we didn't feel the need to tip anything extra. They did their job but did nothing extra to enhance our dining experience. Before Anytime Dining we almost always gave our servers an extra tip at the end of the cruise, as we got to know them and they got to know our preferences, etc. But with Anytime Dining if you have to ask for something 3 times at one dinner and you still don't receive the requested item (lemons for the water) then I don't feel an additional tip is deserved.

At the Comedy Club we quite often have a favorite bar server that we tip extra each night.

There is a reason only certain people are tipped. Just like in a restaurant only waiters,bussers and bartenders are tipped.

The rest are paid accordingly. If you want to tip anyone extra for going above and beyond you can of course

That's why I hate the whole pre tip thing. Wish we could just tip the people that deserve to be tipped.

The problem with that is that there are cheapskates that will just not give a tip to these people which would actually end up hurting us more in the long run as cruise prices will have to rise to accomodate the pay for people to work the boats - some of the staff that are tipped makes less than $100 a month for actual pay from the cruise line and depend on those tips to fill out their income

One of the best things you can do for crew is to mention them by name in the survey you get.

Yup I always make sure to get names before I leave and where they worked at so when I get my survey (or grab some the last night if they have them on the ship) to ensure they are getting their good credit as these surveys are how the employees are recognized and promoted

Don't leave any more? Lol. I've been a waiter for 35 years. Nothing I appreciate more than a little bit extra. I've been at my job 15 years. I have multiple requests nightly at my fine dining steakhouse here in Colorado. I am well taken care of. I go above and beyond for these people. I make sure they get stuff that isn't on the menu. Always give a little extra and you will get a little extra. I always tip extra especially the first night. You will be blown away how much extra they will do for you. I love taking care of people. And I love when people take care of me when I'm on vacation.

The "Anti-Tippers" hate the idea that those who are generous with grats get anything different or extra.