Birth Certificate

Crusingrandma2

Has anyone traveled with a BC that is printed on black paper with white lettering. It looks like a photo copy. It's on a 4 x 6 sheet of paper with a stamp on the back. My SIL was adopted and this is the only BC she has. We are about 6 weeks out from our cruise and would like to know for sure if this would be acceptable documentation along with a DL.

Seems to be a copy from microfiche archives. Older records were stored this way.

Is it a government copy? If so, sounds fine.

If SIL decides to travel more, she might want to look into getting a passport. No questioning that.

She could take it to a passport place (post office, Airport CBP, etc) for confirmation of its validity.

6 weeks is enough time to get a passport. Then you would not have to think about the problems you might have if you had to fly home for an emergency sometime during the cruise. I have no idea why people are so averse to getting a passport to begin with.

6 weeks is enough time to get a passport. Then you would not have to think about the problems you might have if you had to fly home for an emergency sometime during the cruise. I have no idea why people are so averse to getting a passport to begin with.

She is not opposed to getting a passport. The problem is getting off work in order to go to the passport office. Two places here, you have to make an appt to go and their available times are the same time she works. That's why she wanted to do the simple way and use her BC & DL.

Seems to be a copy from microfiche archives. Older records were stored this way.

Is it a government copy? If so, sounds fine.

If SIL decides to travel more, she might want to look into getting a passport. No questioning that.

She could take it to a passport place (post office, Airport CBP, etc) for confirmation of its validity.

Thanks SadieN. I will take it to the PO to have it validated.

Edited by Crusingrandma2
Changed wording.

I have no idea why people are so averse to getting a passport to begin with.

I have no idea why you care that people are averse to getting a passport.;) It's a choice and just like any other choice people make different choices based on their personal needs.

OP, it sounds like it would be okay but there is time to obtain a cleaner copy from the state.

I have no idea why you care that people are averse to getting a passport.;) It's a choice and just like any other choice people make different choices based on their personal needs.

OP, it sounds like it would be okay but there is time to obtain a cleaner copy from the state.

Thanks Sparks1093.

I usually drive my wife nuts on our cruises. All I do all week is worry about what ifs. I can never relax. It's horrific.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IMHO I would NEVER leave U.S. soil without a passport. Accidents don't happen on purpose, that's why they are called accidents. How about if a close relative became gravely ill while on a cruise. Good luck getting on an aircraft without a passport. While i respect your "personal needs" they would get real personal if you got hurt on the ship or a shore excursion. We always have passports and travel insurance. Did I say they are called accidents for a reason.

IMHO I would NEVER leave U.S. soil without a passport. Accidents don't happen on purpose, that's why they are called accidents. How about if a close relative became gravely ill while on a cruise. Good luck getting on an aircraft without a passport. While i respect your "personal needs" they would get real personal if you got hurt on the ship or a shore excursion. We always have passports and travel insurance. Did I say they are called accidents for a reason.

Same here. I feel like passports are the cheapest form of insurance you can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Has anyone traveled with a BC that is printed on black paper with white lettering. It looks like a photo copy. It's on a 4 x 6 sheet of paper with a stamp on the back. My SIL was adopted and this is the only BC she has. We are about 6 weeks out from our cruise and would like to know for sure if this would be acceptable documentation along with a DL.

I lost my BC during a move about a year ago and just went to the county clerk's office and they printed one out that day for me and is now my official BC.

And that's you and that's fine, for you. When we first started cruising we decided that the risk of anything happening was low enough to forego passports until we actually needed them for the travel that we were taking. At that time we were only able to take a closed loop cruise every year or two. As far as something happening when on a cruise, yes, it does happen but the State Department is there to assist in those situations. There will be a delay while things get sorted but again we comfortable with any potential delay. As for accidents, that's what travel insurance is for. Again, your choice is the best choice for you and my choice is the best choice for you and my choice doesn't affect you at all.

And again, things happen in an instant. We've had friends, family, fellow shipmates all who needed to be evacuated,not pleasant. Also, not all Consulates and Embassy's are at full staff right now. Want to see a nightmare? watch a 45 year old mom melt down because they have to wait to get US approval to issue temporary papers to get them back to states after kid BN Lew out knee. Many have been lucky, but as with all luck, won't last forever.

OP: have SIL contact courthouse that processed adoption, should have re-issed birth certificate at time. They can tell her where final was filed and get an expedited certified copy. Good luck and safe journey.

I definitely recommend this. We weren't originally going to get passports, but decided to go ahead with it. My birth certificate, the only one I've ever owned, is roughly a 3x5 card that, when folded in half, is about the size of a credit card and came with a little sleeve that it's stored in. It was accepted for all kinds of miscellaneous things in my life, including being official enough to get me into the military. So when we decided to go ahead and get passports, I assumed if Uncle Sam accepted it, it would be just fine. But the person at the post office said no, so I had to go get a new one from the courthouse. If there's any doubt, it pays to have it looked at. You don't want to find out there's a problem at the terminal.

And again, things happen in an instant. We've had friends, family, fellow shipmates all who needed to be evacuated,not pleasant. Also, not all Consulates and Embassy's are at full staff right now. Want to see a nightmare? watch a 45 year old mom melt down because they have to wait to get US approval to issue temporary papers to get them back to states after kid BN Lew out knee. Many have been lucky, but as with all luck, won't last forever.

OP: have SIL contact courthouse that processed adoption, should have re-issed birth certificate at time. They can tell her where final was filed and get an expedited certified copy. Good luck and safe journey.

So everybody will have an accident where they need to get flown home at some point if they cruise long enough?

I'll bet there are lots more people that have never had to fly home ever compared to the amount of people that did.

Been cruising since 1991. According to you my time must be coming soon since the need to fly home hasn't arisen yet.

Like Sparks says each individual needs to decide for themselves based on their circumstances.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I definitely recommend this. We weren't originally going to get passports, but decided to go ahead with it. My birth certificate, the only one I've ever owned, is roughly a 3x5 card that, when folded in half, is about the size of a credit card and came with a little sleeve that it's stored in. It was accepted for all kinds of miscellaneous things in my life, including being official enough to get me into the military. So when we decided to go ahead and get passports, I assumed if Uncle Sam accepted it, it would be just fine. But the person at the post office said no, so I had to go get a new one from the courthouse. If there's any doubt, it pays to have it looked at. You don't want to find out there's a problem at the terminal.

I intend to take it to our County Clerk's office on Monday and have them verify that it is indeed valid. Certainly don't want to get to the port and have to say goodbye to her while the rest of the family cruises. It's a 12-hr drive for us to the port.

Edited by Crusingrandma2
Wrong reply

My husband is adopted and had a photo copy of his papers which were notarized. We used them twice to cruise with carnival and worked fine. About 4 years ago we were denied boarding because of those same documents that worked previously. Just depends on who you get I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mom has one of those 3x5 birth certificates. She was able to get a passport with it back in 2007.

Is it possible that the person at your post office had never seen that type of birth certificate before? Maybe he/she assumed it was a short form. When I first saw my mom's birth certificate, I was throughly confused by it. It looked nothing like my 8x11.5 piece of paper.

Re: No time off work to apply for passport- perhaps she can print the application off the State Dept web site or some one can pick up the form at the passport office, get her photo at the drug store, gather the proof of citizenship etc as explained on the web site. Then with everything filled out and in hand-try to schedule appt at lunch or best time possible. With everything ready the appt should only take a few minutes. We have traveled both with and without passports. To us it seems easier and faster to use them.

I work for the DMV....I see all kinds of birth certificates....if it has a raised seal or a stamp on the back, then it is (most likely) a 'certified' birth certificate....if not, probably just a copy....I don't work for a cruiseline or airline, so I cannot attest if they would accept a copy...(the dmv will not accept a copy)

In NYS, we offer an 'enhanced' drivers license which is good for land and sea travel for the most part....but not for international flying...there are a few other states which offer this, but not many...right now I think it is only NY, ME, MI & VT

Are non-original or non-certified copies of berth certificates and marriage license accepted when boarding?

A copy of a government issued birth certificate is acceptable according to the regulations and it would be hard to believe that they would accept a copy of a birth certificate and not a marriage certificate. If something does happen and you need to get State Department assistance they will likely want to see an original (depending on the circumstances) so it's best to have that.

My mom has one of those 3x5 birth certificates. She was able to get a passport with it back in 2007.

Is it possible that the person at your post office had never seen that type of birth certificate before? Maybe he/she assumed it was a short form. When I first saw my mom's birth certificate, I was throughly confused by it. It looked nothing like my 8x11.5 piece of paper.

They've changed the requirements since then and now a long form birth certificate is required that has the parent's names on them.

It's certainly possible that she had never seen it before. I can't remember her initial reaction. But that's been common throughout my life whenever I had to use it. Most had never seen that type before.

I work for the DMV....I see all kinds of birth certificates....if it has a raised seal or a stamp on the back, then it is (most likely) a 'certified' birth certificate....if not, probably just a copy....I don't work for a cruiseline or airline, so I cannot attest if they would accept a copy...(the dmv will not accept a copy)

In NYS, we offer an 'enhanced' drivers license which is good for land and sea travel for the most part....but not for international flying...there are a few other states which offer this, but not many...right now I think it is only NY, ME, MI & VT

My little 3x5 has a raised seal, but still wasn't accepted. I think it kind of depends on the official working at the time. If they aren't familiar with that type of BC and have any doubts, they're probably too afraid to accept it.

They've changed the requirements since then and now a long form birth certificate is required that has the parent's names on them.
My little 3x5 has a raised seal, parents' names, etc. Everything a "normal" one has. Still wasn't accepted. Except for one of the numbers on mine is called something else on the long-form certificates. I forget what it says. I think that's what caused them to deny it.