Vista revisited (Havana Cabana this time)...... A fairly lengthy review with pics

jimbo5544

Enjoying your review Jim; sure do wish we had been with you! This is our first spring without a cruise for 15 years......and next year there's no Spring Break either, but I'm thinking we might go anyhow. We have to wait until July........and it's a Loooonng wait!

Paul, we thought of you and your family often during the cruise including looking up at the aft wraps from the Havana area and a pic you will recognize from Jack's shack that I will post tomorrow. Know all about waiting..... We are doing the Horizon next July 3rd out of New York, you should join us. Hope to get to sail with you again sometime in the future.

I will fly down to Miami on Friday (Jet Blue as well) and planning to take Uber down in Saturday morning. There will be 7 of us with many large suitcases. We are budgeting $100 for that trip seeing that we will need a big van or something like that to take us all with our suitcases. Seems like that should be reasonable based on what you pay right?
It is reasonable, you can quote it by doing a dry run(don't submit) and it will give you the cost. They have larger vehicles, but fewer of them, if it were me I would compare all options, including outer transfers and uber both ways (large SUV) and two separate vehicles. I really don't know how competitive they are with larger cars, but it stands to reason they would still be cheaper. What makes me somewhat hesitant is how many vehicles large enough are there in the area and are they of a premium for cruisers.... just me 2 cents.

Paul, we thought of you and your family often during the cruise including looking up at the aft wraps from the Havana area and a pic you will recognize from Jack's shack that I will post tomorrow. Know all about waiting..... We are doing the Horizon next July 3rd out of New York, you should join us. Hope to get to sail with you again sometime in the future.

Jim,

We looked hard at Vista for next summer, but ended up booking Sunshine again.

I'll be watching for those pics. I think a Havana Cabana might entice me down from the aft wrap.

I'll look at Horizon and see if she's an option; SunShine is July 20 next summer.

I will fly down to Miami on Friday (Jet Blue as well) and planning to take Uber down in Saturday morning. There will be 7 of us with many large suitcases. We are budgeting $100 for that trip seeing that we will need a big van or something like that to take us all with our suitcases. Seems like that should be reasonable based on what you pay right?
There is a website called www.whatsthefare.com You put in a starting and an ending address, and it will give you a breakdown as to approximate cost for Uber, Lyft and taxi. For FLL to Miami cruiseport, it's 32 for Uber, 33 for Lyft and 49 for a taxi. Uber XL is 72 and Lyft Plus is 73. You should be able to do two regular cars and put 3 in one and four in the other. Look for promo codes online as well, it's usually a free 22.00 ride for first time on Uber. If two people out of the 7 have never used them, that's a great saving. Edited by SNJCruisers

Jimbo, nice start on the review. I use Uber all the time in traveling and never had a problem. Had one driver who took me on a 90 minute trip, waited around for 2 hours for my meeting and then was there to take me back. Have no idea if he did short fares in the meantime, but he was a great guy...showed me the app WAZE.

And I remember Dwayne from our January Vista cruise. Didn't spend as much time in RFP that cruise but he served me at the bar every time and walked me through the drafts on tap all the while carrying on a jovial conversation with a couple at the bar who had known him from the Breeze.

It was, pretty new as well and there is another Hyatt right across the street called Hyatt Place. I do not remember these being available the last time we stayed in FLL at the beginning of a cruise. I think I found them to be best price considering late arrival (not like they are on the beach....actually much closer to being on the air field....lol but no late night jet noise.

Thank you, jet noise is somehting I didn't think about.

Thank you, jet noise is somehting I didn't think about.

LOL, did not occur to me till we got there..... but as I said not an issue. As a matter of fact, I do not even remember hearing jets in the morning (although they were obviously taking off and landing).

Jimbo, nice start on the review. I use Uber all the time in traveling and never had a problem. Had one driver who took me on a 90 minute trip, waited around for 2 hours for my meeting and then was there to take me back. Have no idea if he did short fares in the meantime, but he was a great guy...showed me the app WAZE.

And I remember Dwayne from our January Vista cruise. Didn't spend as much time in RFP that cruise but he served me at the bar every time and walked me through the drafts on tap all the while carrying on a jovial conversation with a couple at the bar who had known him from the Breeze.

Thanks for coming along on the journey, def helps relive the cruise, waze is a good app and I use it every day (long commute every day).

There is a website called www.whatsthefare.com You put in a starting and an ending address, and it will give you a breakdown as to approximate cost for Uber, Lyft and taxi. For FLL to Miami cruiseport, it's 32 for Uber, 33 for Lyft and 49 for a taxi. Uber XL is 72 and Lyft Plus is 73. You should be able to do two regular cars and put 3 in one and four in the other. Look for promo codes online as well, it's usually a free 22.00 ride for first time on Uber. If two people out of the 7 have never used them, that's a great saving.

Thanks, just added that to my phone!

Jim,

We looked hard at Vista for next summer, but ended up booking Sunshine again.

I'll be watching for those pics. I think a Havana Cabana might entice me down from the aft wrap.

I'll look at Horizon and see if she's an option; SunShine is July 20 next summer.

The Sunshine (which gets a bad rap here) is a very good ship and we would not hesitate to sail her again. One of the issues you will have with the Vista or Horizon is they are to big to go to HMC (which we both love).

....back to the review....

Since it is open on embarkation days and it was not on the ship when we sailed on her in Barcelona, we decided to try the BBQ for lunch. I have to say I was impressed, with the selection, the sauce and the overall experience. Nice addition. After that we too a stroll around to get used to the ship again and then headed back to the Havana area. Here are some pics I took on my phone from there from that afternoon.

The Sunshine (which gets a bad rap here) is a very good ship and we would not hesitate to sail her again. One of the issues you will have with the Vista or Horizon is they are to big to go to HMC (which we both love).

Hey, how about Sunshine out of Norfolk in June?! Wanna go?

Just curious. Why would the Vista or Horizon be too big for HMC? They would anchor far enough from the small pier and the tenders would take the guests over just like they do on the smaller ships.

Just curious. Why would the Vista or Horizon be too big for HMC? They would anchor far enough from the small pier and the tenders would take the guests over just like they do on the smaller ships.

My understanding is that Carnival has set the bar on ship size in regards to HMC. Not so much from where the ship is off the island, but much more so in the number of people on the ship they would have to tender back and forth.