Vista revisited (Havana Cabana this time)...... A fairly lengthy review with pics

jimbo5544

As I said in my Vista review, I think it's to keep people from "falling" overboard. About the only place I can think of that they could easily go over without hitting a deck below them is from a Cove Balcony.

But chengkp75 stated in a previous post that it's impossible to fall off a ship :D ;p

But chengkp75 stated in a previous post that it's impossible to fall off a ship :D ;p

It kills me every time I see a news article about someone "falling" off. Then you get all these people posting that are scared to death that they will be walking on Lido and all of a sudden end up in the drink. It's just not gonna happen. So that's my take on why there is so much glass around the ship. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense.

As I said in my Vista review, I think it's to keep people from "falling" overboard. About the only place I can think of that they could easily go over without hitting a deck below them is from a Cove Balcony.

firemanbobswife,

If I were to fall off from more than a level or two above the lanai, I'd rather land on water. I guess it does make it easier to find people that fall........:eek:

We did not use them for that (long story I may get into near the end of the review) , but i asked our driver (on the way down) and was told yes to both the port and FLL and MIA airports. I had previously been told some

Airports were verboten. According to the driver at least, not true for these two. Some better informed may have more info, Tiffany?

Sent from my iPhone

Verboten.....lol. Good usage. :D

firemanbobswife,

If I were to fall off from more than a level or two above the lanai, I'd rather land on water. I guess it does make it easier to find people that fall........:eek:

You're right. That's the whole point. You won't go overboard and they won't spend hours searching. It's just straight off to medical and the brig and everyone can continue on with their vacation uninterrupted as planned.

Anyway, I won't hijack jimbo's thread anymore. Just wanted to give my thoughts on the glass.

Grand Turk looks very beautiful!!!

It certainly is a lovely place, and has significant historical ties to the US Space Program. If you would like, I can post other pics from other stops we have made there (other cruises) which would do a better job of showing the beauty.

Jim,

Yeah I guess they think they need it for some reason. There are many ships with 3rd floor decks that people can walk on and none of them have 7 foot glass walls. My guess is so the glass is the same height all the way and not just elevated where the hot tubs are located?

Paul, it is the only drawback I had in regards to the room. It would have been much nicer to have been a standard balcony railing.

It certainly is a lovely place, and has significant historical ties to the US Space Program. If you would like, I can post other pics from other stops we have made there (other cruises) which would do a better job of showing the beauty.

That would be awesome, one day we will make it over there. Not holding my breath to get an itinerary from Galveston though ;p

The second surprise of the evening that the waiter for the rest of the row (the four top of our new friends and the long table as well as another round table) was our head waiter from our last Vista cruise. She spotted us right away and hugs were exchanged. I think our new wait staff was taken back a bit, but it all worked out. Here is a pic of my wife and Maia our waiter from our Med cruise on the Vista.

v30o0i.jpg[/qu

ote]

Wow - Hi Maia! We were on the Vista Transatlantic when Maia had just signed off - were back on the Vista in February and she had just returned from her break and we loved her and she was a fabulous server!!! :)

I agree and a very nice person.

You're right. That's the whole point. You won't go overboard and they won't spend hours searching. It's just straight off to medical and the brig and everyone can continue on with their vacation uninterrupted as planned.

Anyway, I won't hijack jimbo's thread anymore. Just wanted to give my thoughts on the glass.

Hijack away, it is all good discussion.....:D

Agreed!! We were not fans of it in January, it made it hard to take pictures from the Havana area.

Enjoying your review, thanks for taking time to post it!

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

It does hinder the picture process, thanks for joining me on the journey, appreciate the kind words.

We decided to stop into Jack's Shack for drink and possibly for something to eat. For those not familiar with this local establishment, it is aptly named. Somewhat infamous for the dog doing tricks on the beach out front. Here are some pics from Jack's.....

10scieq.jpg

287odg9.jpg

It had been a while since we were last down the beach that far, but I do not remember it being so ......pricey. For the record there are other places along the walk which are significantly cheaper, maybe with a little less ambiance.;)

The Sunshine (which gets a bad rap here) is a very good ship and we would not hesitate to sail her again. One of the issues you will have with the Vista or Horizon is they are to big to go to HMC (which we both love).

Since HMC is a tender port, why can't they tender in fro a bit further out? Or are there just too many pax for the facilities to support?

After sail away, we went down and unpacked and got ready for dinner. It has been mentioned by others, but in the rooms on the Vista, you lose one closet door and interior (2 instead of 3), the payback for this is significantly enhanced A/C (individual unit in each cabin). Big win from my perspective.

Muster (was actually done before sail away)

Possibly the worst we have ever had and the worst thing during our cruise. The use iPads to scan S&S cards at each Muster station (all inside now). While this is a def improvement, this was by the worst muster drill we have attended. I t took over 20 minutes and three announcements to get people to go to their muster stations. Pet peeve on my end....so I will move on. Even after they started the drill they stopped twice. I was not even sure that it ever ended, where they say eat the sound of the tone it ends, or letting one group go before another. Has to be a better way or penalize those who make everyone wait.

We went back out to Red Frog and then to the lobby to enjoy some of the lobby entertainment before dinner. We had late dining and as a result were in the Reflections dining doom (mid ship - one floor)). The aft dining room is the Horizon dining room (aft- two floors and a bar inside the dining room) which is YTD and some assigned dining (although I have not heard of anyone with assigned dining actually going there).

While it is a pain to wait on all of those who can't be bothered by being where they are supposed to be on time, at least you get to sit in A/Cf for a change.

Since HMC is a tender port, why can't they tender in fro a bit further out? Or are there just too many pax for the facilities to support?

While I do not know, I believe it to be the number of passengers, not the water depth. With two transfers and one narrow channel going in and out I do think it feasible (wish I was wrong....).

Sent from my iPhone