Vista revisited (Havana Cabana this time)...... A fairly lengthy review with pics

jimbo5544

Jacks prices look the same as the last time I was there. Did you see Toffer?

Interesting Diamond event with someone who has cruised on all the ships. How old would you say they were? Just curious. I met a gentleman on one of my cruises that had cruised on over 100, not sure how many days that is. He was invited on the bridge when we left port the first day. It is nice to know that Carnival does recognize loyalty.

There was a dog there, but I can't honestly remember.... It was a single guy and I would guess him at mid 60's. He had been cruising for 20 years. I am a Carnival fan, as most here know, but I am always impressed at the loyalty and recognition we have received. It is also pretty nice to get to know some of these people over time.

Very interested in any Horizon updates....will be on the transatlantic and hoping that they did make some 'improvements' specifically to the Liquid Lounge! I know they switched 'sides' for the piano bar and library and wondering why? ;p Hoping we get more news on any Horizon changes...:D

I agree, we are about at that time to hear more about the Horizon. After we left my wife said I perked up when he brought it up....lol. I would love to do the TA, but it will just not work for us, maybe Vista 3..... Not to take away from the summary, but the Piano bar is WAY to small, and there are drawbacks to some of the rooms. Also agree on the Liquid Lounge. After we left my wife said I perked up when he brought it up....lol. Not to take away from the summary, but the Piano bar is WAY to small, and there are drawbacks to some of the rooms. Also agree on the Liquid Lounge.

We awoke the next morning and headed out thru our slider and around the corner for the coffee that was waiting on the Havana Cabana Bar. We then went back to our lanai and watched as we began the sail into San Juan. I do have say folks, that we have pretty much sailed every balcony type room that Carnival offers, including regular and extended balconies, aft balconies and aft wraps, Ocean Suites, Grand Suites, Vista Suites, Owners Penthouse Suites and Captains Suites. This room 5240 we had is pretty darn special. Next July, we sail on the Horizon and have the Havana Cabana Suite two doors down...which will be interesting to see our thoughts and that.

We have been to San Juan many times, and were up in the air as to whether or not we were going to get off the ship. We finally decided to get off as we were eating breakfast. Minor point, have you ever noticed that people are creatures of habit (including us). On lido we alway gyrate to the same area and the same tables when available.

Debark had opened up a 1/2 hour or so earlier, so while it was still fairly early, there were certainly no lines. I decided not to take either my camera or my phone as we were pretty familiar with the Old San Juan area. As we in the terminal, we were making our way out and something caught my eye over on the side. There was about 25 people standing in a line with bags. After thinking about it for a while, it dawned on me that these were cruisers for our sailing that never got to the ship due to the storm and Delta woes......WOW. Later that day back on the ship, we ran into 4 that we recognized from standing in the line and approached them. They certainly had stories to tell, we did not press teem as they were hot to start enjoying their cruise which I totally understood.

After making a pit stop Walgreens we asked each other what we wanted to do and decided to spend some time wandering the side streets, checking out shops and went to some spots we had never seen before. This is where I wished we had brought the camera or phone. There were many opportunities to snap some pretty good pics...... oh well, there is always the next time.

As we made our way back to the ship,we saw that we had a new neighbor next to the Vista, the Celebrity Reflection had pulled in and was in active debarkation. After getting back on the ship, we decided to grab a bite to eat but since we were going to the Steakhouse this evening, we wanted to keep it light for food so we grabbed a couple of pieces of pizza and then spent some time out of the deck and relaxed as we debarked from San Juan.

Carnival Steakhouse.... We made our initial reservation (the one for this evening some time ago and had received a quick reply of confirmation. About a month before the cruise we tried to add a second reservation for the upcoming good Friday, and were told at that time that they steakhouse was fully booked and we were on standby. So, when we went for our dinner that night, when we checked in, we again asked if their had been any openings. We were told no, and if their were any, we would be notified. On a whim, I also asked about eating at the bar (in the steakhouse). The response was that they frowned on that as they could not deliver the service with the meal that they thought appropriate. I was not sure we even wanted to do that and in the end we let it go (we never heard about it again.....). We were quickly seated and soon, the steakhouse was full and we had a wonderful meal. We very much enjoy visits here, and to be honest, usually done with groups, so this time being just the two of us, it was a nice change.

I am always interested in what the "compliments of the chef" app that is delivered after orders are taken will be. On this occasion. On this occasion it was pretty unique.....pickled ox tail (makes you wonder what happened to the rest of the ox....). I am much more willing to try new things than my wife when it comes to food, so I tried it and she....did not. Here is a pic of it and the presentation.

28wcunr.jpg

I am always interested in what the "compliments of the chef" app that is delivered after orders are taken will be. On this occasion. On this occasion it was pretty unique.....pickled ox tail (makes you wonder what happened to the rest of the ox....). I am much more willing to try new things than my wife when it comes to food, so I tried it and she....did not. Here is a pic of it and the presentation.

28wcunr.jpg

I tried it too even though I usually don't like to try new things. Wasn't bad once you got past the mental aspect. A little salty for my taste.

I tried it too even though I usually don't like to try new things. Wasn't bad once you got past the mental aspect. A little salty for my taste.

Agree, although I did reach for the water glass once I was through......:confused:

There is a website called www.whatsthefare.com You put in a starting and an ending address, and it will give you a breakdown as to approximate cost for Uber, Lyft and taxi. For FLL to Miami cruiseport, it's 32 for Uber, 33 for Lyft and 49 for a taxi. Uber XL is 72 and Lyft Plus is 73. You should be able to do two regular cars and put 3 in one and four in the other. Look for promo codes online as well, it's usually a free 22.00 ride for first time on Uber. If two people out of the 7 have never used them, that's a great saving.

I am soooooo out of it with these options...thank you.

Agree, although I did reach for the water glass once I was through......:confused:

The second surprise of the evening that the waiter for the rest of the row (the four top of our new friends and the long table as well as another round table) was our head waiter from our last Vista cruise. She spotted us right away and hugs were exchanged. I think our new wait staff was taken back a bit, but it all worked out. Here is a pic of my wife and Maia our waiter from our Med cruise on the Vista.

v30o0i.jpg

So beautiful,,you and so many people here put me in that peaceful travel place...and wonderful people exist all over place...this is such a pretty shot saying all of that.

Did they never have free breakfast /lunch in the Havana Bar? We loved the food on the Sunshine!

I believe that when the Vista started (in the med) they had them and at some point they stopped. My guess is with the pool being off limits to most of the ship (not where the breakfast items were) than less people go there - where on the Sunshine they were in the module of everything. Just my guess......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jimboo....Excellent to be chilling with one of your reviews.

Hey, Sarah! Glad you can join me as I relive it. I was a very special room and a special cruise for us. Thanks for the kind words and following along.

So beautiful,,you and so many people here put me in that peaceful travel place...and wonderful people exist all over place...this is such a pretty shot saying all of that.

Thanks, it is interesting how the world turns and how things like this happen.... We have met so many nice people along the way of our journeys. I frequently tell Carnival management that their best asset is their people. Maia is a perfect example of this.

I don't know why I look at the menu as I always get the same things.... This time was not an exception. After dinner I rarely have room for dessert and as a result always opt for either the sorbet or the home made ice scream, two small scoops but enough for me. Our dinners at the Steakhouse are without exception enjoyable and one of the highlights of our cruise.

After dinner we caught the second (and probably best) show Flick. For this show we went to the upper level and as I previously mentioned, I would have to agree with some other reviewers that the site lines are....ummmm lousy in that almost all seats have some restricted views.

After the show we decided to catch what was left of the movie Rogue one (or whatever the name is). The movie was about half over when we got there and shortly after sitting down it began to sprinkle.....so we called it a night.

I believe that when the Vista started (in the med) they had them and at some point they stopped. My guess is with the pool being off limits to most of the ship (not where the breakfast items were) than less people go there - where on the Sunshine they were in the module of everything. Just my guess......

I looked when we were were on the last Med. and TA and didn't see any food. I thought I heard it was just available to Havana guests. We are booked in a Havana on the Horizon and was really hoping they would have the food like the Sunshine.

I looked when we were were on the last Med. and TA and didn't see any food. I thought I heard it was just available to Havana guests. We are booked in a Havana on the Horizon and was really hoping they would have the food like the Sunshine.

I can verify there is no breakfast even for Havana guests. Our party went to the Taste Bar in Ocean Plaza for a quick bite.

I can verify there is no breakfast even for Havana guests. Our party went to the Taste Bar in Ocean Plaza for a quick bite.

That's disappointing. We really liked the food they offered in the Havana Bar (breakfast and lunch) on the Sunshine,

I don't know why I look at the menu as I always get the same things.... This time was not an exception. After dinner I rarely have room for dessert and as a result always opt for either the sorbet or the home made ice scream, two small scoops but enough for me. Our dinners at the Steakhouse are without exception enjoyable and one of the highlights of our cruise.

After dinner we caught the second (and probably best) show Flick. For this show we went to the upper level and as I previously mentioned, I would have to agree with some other reviewers that the site lines are....ummmm lousy in that almost all seats have some restricted views.

After the show we decided to catch what was left of the movie Rogue one (or whatever the name is). The movie was about half over when we got there and shortly after sitting down it began to sprinkle.....so we called it a night.

If you watch the movie from deck 11 you're covered so it won't matter if it sprinkles or not. ;)

Let me guess Jimbo, the spice rubbed ribeye! :D