Vista revisited (Havana Cabana this time)...... A fairly lengthy review with pics

jimbo5544

It had been a while since we were last down the beach that far, but I do not remember it being so ......pricey. For the record there are other places along the walk which are significantly cheaper, maybe with a little less ambiance.;)

It does look like they raised their prices! Still cheaper than Margaritaville, though. Last time we went ito Jack's it was pretty jammed - not as relaxing as it used to be. Now we just hang a bit by the Margaritaville pool, then head back to the "empty" ship and enjoy the solitude there!

It does look like they raised their prices! Still cheaper than Margaritaville, though. Last time we went ito Jack's it was pretty jammed - not as relaxing as it used to be. Now we just hang a bit by the Margaritaville pool, then head back to the "empty" ship and enjoy the solitude there!

Just wish they would turn down the volume at bit at Margaritaville! You can hear that "so called" music half way down the beach! :o

It was full (all tables and at bar). We got a seat just as someone was leaving. Understand the empty ship idea.....

Sent from my iPhone

While it is a pain to wait on all of those who can't be bothered by being where they are supposed to be on time, at least you get to sit in A/Cf for a change.

True, that said, people not going or only when pushed is one of my pet peeves

Sent from my iPhone

BTW, how do you get invited to the naming ceremonies? Also, if you have any pull with the big wigs, could you tell them to turn up the temp in the Havana hot tubs and pool? :eek:

We really get invited for two reasons. We are both part time TA's and sell a LOT of Carnival and we have good friends in Carnival management. Not sure which gets it done. I can send a note on the temps, not sure it will accomplish anything. I agree on the temps tho.......

Sent from my iPhone

We really get invited for two reasons. We are both part time TA's and sell a LOT of Carnival and we have good friends in Carnival management. Not sure which gets it done. I can send a note on the temps, not sure it will accomplish anything. I agree on the temps tho.......

Sent from my iPhone

We noticed that too. And I also saw that the signs say "Whirpool" as opposed to "Hot tub". That way when people say it's not hot enough, they can say that's the way it's supposed to be [emoji849].

It had been a while since we were last down the beach that far, but I do not remember it being so ......pricey. For the record there are other places along the walk which are significantly cheaper, maybe with a little less ambiance.;)
We've been to Jack's three times. It is pricier than when we first visited, but on the plus side they don't charge for beach chairs any more - just umbrellas. And usually our port time is pretty limited so we don't order food often - with a 1:30 back on board time, we just have lunch on the ship. (I think that 7:00-2:00 port time is what Horizon will have next year.) But I can't pass on one of Jack's rum punches. :D

Enjoying your review. Nice to see a perspective from someone who sailed one of the Med cruises! Thanks for sharing.

True, that said, people not going or only when pushed is one of my pet peeves

Sent from my iPhone

I completely understand. People simply obeying the rules they voluntarily agreed to obey is one of mine (which being on time to muster is covered under).

Sent from my iPhone

Pretty cool. Thanks for dropping a hint on the temps. They can't fix what they don't know.

Great to see your review, Jimbo! We loved our HC on the Repo. Would re-do that entire cruise in a heartbeat :). We really enjoyed the Vista!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The repo would be a great cruise to really enjoy the HC rooms. Thanks for following along.

We've been to Jack's three times. It is pricier than when we first visited, but on the plus side they don't charge for beach chairs any more - just umbrellas. And usually our port time is pretty limited so we don't order food often - with a 1:30 back on board time, we just have lunch on the ship. (I think that 7:00-2:00 port time is what Horizon will have next year.) But I can't pass on one of Jack's rum punches. :D

Enjoying your review. Nice to see a perspective from someone who sailed one of the Med cruises! Thanks for sharing.

I was actually surprised that it was full, I don't really remember it being that way last time, but it was later in the day and there were probably a lot who were heading back. Thanks for following along, I enjoy reading your posts here.

Pretty cool. Thanks for dropping a hint on the temps. They can't fix what they don't know.

I do get asked for feedback and I give them what I think is a loyal Carnival cruisers view. While not all get acted on, they do appreciate the candor.

I am kind of fussy on wrinkled clothes, before I found a good solution to that, I would wander down to the ironing room once or twice a cruise. I have told more than several different management personnel that if they really want to get a vibe on their clients during a cruise, hang out there for a while.

After our drink, we were considering another, when the wife pointed behind me down past the ship and the dark clouds were building. Sine we had left a hard cover book on our chairs as well as my backpack with my iPad Pro and my phone in it (go figure why I brought my phone.......although I did use the margarita internet for a bit), we decided we better head back.

We just barely got back to our chairs when it began to sprinkle and we gathered up our stuff and headed under cover when the torrents came.

We waited out the rain, then decided to head back, although before we got to the pier, the sun was out an there was a rainbow over the island.

After getting back on the ship, it was still fairly early, we got a bite to eat (we did not want to eat a lot as we were going to the Steakhouse that night) and headed back to the Havana Pool.

After sitting out a bit I went into the Jacuzzi and met some nice people from the Miami area (go figure). After a while, the wife went back to the room to shower and I stayed in the Jacuzzi with my new friends. Suddenly the air cooled, the clouds game back and it let loose again. While most grabbed their stuff and headed in we stayed in the Jacuzzi (we were already wet). The bar guy kept bringing us drinks. We watched as the Vista backed away, spun around and began the short trip to San Juan. It finished up as a pretty interesting day.

The evening before we had received an invite for the Diamond Event. For those that don't know about this, it is an event the Captain holds (where, what time and what it will be is at his discretion). Diamond level loyalty are for Carnival cruisers who have cruised over 200 days. In the past we have attended cocktail parties, recognition events for crew that we were invited to witness, and even a Suess Breakfast (on our Med cruise the previous time on the Vista). For this cruise, we received an invite for cocktails at 7:15 in the Piano Bar. Ben the piano bar player played so light music and the senior staff milled about talking with guests. There were about 15 Diamonds on this sailing and two of significant note. One had sailed on every Carnival ship (current and past) which is quite a feat, and another who is just short of 500 sailing days. Both pretty remarkable events.

As the senior staff came around two things of note occurred. One, the asst hotel manager who we know (but thought was on off time had just came back came over and we caught up with him. Great guy, and we have sailed with him many times. He had somehow found out we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and made a big deal at the party (the capt did a toast with everyone to us) and arranged for something later at dinner and then sent to our cabin, later that night. It was a super thing to do and we expressed as much after the fact to him.

The second thing was with the chief engineer who I got into a discussion with on changes regarding what would be changed on the Horizon from the Vista. Without telling tales out of school, he mentioned that one are they were doing something was with common areas. When I pushed him a little, he said he could not say specifics, but that areas like Liquid Lounge, Piano Bar and the Limelight Lounge were things that cruisers had mentioned..... We will see.

After the party , it was time for dinner and at the end of the meal Our friend had sent a cake and our wait staff sang to us....a little embarrassing...... Then we headed back to the Piano bar for an hour or so and finally off to bed.

Next up: Old San Juan and the Steakhouse.

Jacks prices look the same as the last time I was there. Did you see Toffer?

Interesting Diamond event with someone who has cruised on all the ships. How old would you say they were? Just curious. I met a gentleman on one of my cruises that had cruised on over 100, not sure how many days that is. He was invited on the bridge when we left port the first day. It is nice to know that Carnival does recognize loyalty.

The second thing was with the chief engineer who I got into a discussion with on changes regarding what would be changed on the Horizon from the Vista. Without telling tales out of school, he mentioned that one are they were doing something was with common areas. When I pushed him a little, he said he could not say specifics, but that areas like Liquid Lounge, Piano Bar and the Limelight Lounge were things that cruisers had mentioned..... We will see.

Very interested in any Horizon updates....will be on the transatlantic and hoping that they did make some 'improvements' specifically to the Liquid Lounge! I know they switched 'sides' for the piano bar and library and wondering why? ;p Hoping we get more news on any Horizon changes...:D

12 years in the Army, I am very fussy about wrinkled clothes. How did you solve this?

Not a big secret, but it mainly works (especially on dress shirts). I pack them in a suit bag. Before we cruise i get a few done and they come back on hangers in the plastic wrap. I put all shirts (and suits, jackets, dress pants etc) in the plastic wrap and they pretty much stay true to form. Not sure it will meet the Army standards, but it is the best I have found.