Newly diagnosed diabetic...question?

Hi Everyone! So my BIL was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 4 months ago...completely out of the blue. We are all booked on the July 15 sailing of the Vista. Is it worthwhile for my sister to inform the dining staff of the diabetes? Is there anything different that they will do? I'm thinking maybe sugar free desserts?? Also, does anyone know if they provide a sharps container? Do u bring your own? Any help would be appreciated...I'm asking for them because they are just trying to deal with the diagnosis right now. Thanks a bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everyone! So my BIL was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 4 months ago...completely out of the blue. We are all booked on the July 15 sailing of the Vista. Is it worthwhile for my sister to inform the dining staff of the diabetes? Is there anything different that they will do? I'm thinking maybe sugar free desserts?? Also, does anyone know if they provide a sharps container? Do u bring your own? Any help would be appreciated...I'm asking for them because they are just trying to deal with the diagnosis right now. Thanks a bunch

If they complete a Special Needs form (or simply call the SN Department), Carnival will provide a sharps container for them. As far as diet is concerned, feel free to notify Carnival; however, there are tons of sugar free items available. Of course, carbohydrates are going to be of special concern, in general. Your BIL will receive some classes to help him deal with his dietary choices, then he should be able handle it on his own, just like going to a restaurant.

My daughter is diabetic. We always just ask our room steward to get us a container and have never failed us. They appreciated the notice and love to accommodate you.

And as for food. Several items on the menu are ok for diabetics, incluing sugar free deserts (usually 1 a night). Just stay away from the Chocolate Melting Cake and the chocolate buffet.

But if you want to notify Special Needs dept about the food, be my guest.

BTW, I am diabetic too, just not insulin dependent like my daughter. Been on 18 cruises and never had a problem. Drink lots of water and limit the fruity drinks. Exercise by using the walking track every morning on the cruise.

I think you should be able to ask for a sharps container. If not, there's a portable one available from B-D: it's called a safe-clip needle container. It's available from Amazon and other diabetes supply sites. If I don't have a regular container and use my little clip thing, I bring some zipper sandwich bags with me and keep the rest of the needle in there and just dispose of them when I get home. If he's going to be using syringes and vials, he may want to bring his own container just so he has a big enough one. I use pens and pen needles. He may also want to get a cooler container (I use the "Frio" brand).

His diabetes educator will let him know how to adjust his diet. And sugar-free desserts are clearly marked on the menu. And lots of walking!

Best wishes and happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Contacting special needs is most likely not necessary, but you can if you want to. My grandma was a diabetic and you pretty much follow a higher protein, lower carb diet. Sugar is okay in moderation, in the form of fresh fruit which is available every day. I would avoid fruit juices, desserts, etc. They always have a sugar free dessert and sugar free ice cream available in the MDR. They also have a cheese plate for dessert. It might be helpful to bring along a printed guideline of foods to eat and avoid. There are plenty available online or you could request a print out from the doctor. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Took a newly diagnosed 9 year old on a cruise (and several since then). Each time we just filled out the special needs notice and a sharps container was waiting in the room when we arrived. They even delivered a fridge to the room (when they weren't standard) so we could keep our insulin in it. Tell him not to worry.

In the dining room, the chef even came to the table to ask whether we had specific questions about any of the food, and seemed eager to help the little guy on his new journey. We were very grateful. And would you believe the Chocolate Melting Cake has surprisingly few carbs (around 30 if my memory serves). Very little flour used. Mostly eggs, butter, and dark chocolate. Shocked us to learn this.

Our Type I diabetic is now 20 and has cruised many times on carnival and has eaten basically anything off the menu. As he knows how to count carbs pretty well, he wears a pump and simply boluses for everything he eats. Never a problem. Tell your BIL to get a hard copy of a carb counter before going. It will greatly simplify his life. Eventually he won't even use it.

Best of luck!

Oh, and one other thing. If he is wearing an insulin pump, have him bring a hard copy of all his pump settings, insulin/carb ratios, etc. etc. in case the danged thing has a technical glitch and resets itself in the middle of the ocean. Yes, that happened to us. I spent an hour or so trying to get in touch with his doctor to tell us what settings to input. Stressful to say the least. I now have a photo of the settings printout in my phone for that very reason.

They can provide you with the container just ask the room steward.

vacationmom, do not worry. As a poster mentioned earlier, contact special needs and you can get a sharps container for the room as well as a small desk top mini fridge to keep the insulin and glucagon cold. That way you do not have to use the ships mini bar fridge. My DD was also an out of the blue diagnosis about 8 years ago. She is coming up on her Sweet 16 as we cruise this June and she really rocks the whole T1D issues. There are plenty of low carb/sugar meal options. I hope your BIL has a fabulous time.

Thanks! It's so nice to hear from people who have firsthand experience. Right now it's a shock for them and they are adjusting...but instead of focusing on what he can't have (Pina Coladas were his favorite), I'm eager to tell him that there are LOTS of diabetics who go on cruises and are able to enjoy themselves! If anyone has any more tips, please share! And thanks again [emoji4]

Rum and diet coke. No carbs. I am type 2. Avoid sweet rums.

Hubby is a type II. His fav is a Crown and Diet. It actually will cause his BS to drop.

OP BIL is type I. The management and treatment are different. Type I is an autoimmune disease and produce no inulin. Type II produce some insulin so the eating is different.

It isn't just fruity drinks he needs to be careful with drinking. It is alcohol in general.

When the alcohol hits the body, the already malfunctioning liver in a diabetic switches to just detoxing the alcohol (as it also does in a non-diabetic) and doesn't do it's already impaired job of helping regulate blood sugar.

Once the alcohol is handles, bang! the blood sugar level is addressed which is what causes the temporary lowering of the blood sugar.

Any diabetic should be very careful with drinking alcohol and monitor their blood glucose levels if indulging.

Thanks! It's so nice to hear from people who have firsthand experience. Right now it's a shock for them and they are adjusting...but instead of focusing on what he can't have (Pina Coladas were his favorite), I'm eager to tell him that there are LOTS of diabetics who go on cruises and are able to enjoy themselves! If anyone has any more tips, please share! And thanks again [emoji4]

One of the very first things that my son's Endocrinologist said to me when my son was diagnosed with T1 at 5 was that he could eat or drink whatever he wanted--we just had to count the carbs and make sure that we cover them. He's 14 now so we obviously haven't had to deal with the alcohol issue but I wouldn't think that there is anything that he cannot have at all. I would think that moderation is key though and to count the carbs and learn how your body reacts to the alcohol. I do not plan on telling my son that he cannot drink anything fruity or with alcohol but to go slow, pay attention to his body and make sure and cover the carbs. We started the journey carrying around a copy of Calorie King everywhere--now we don't even need it.

I would guess that 20 -25% of Carnival cruisers are diabetic, mostly Type II. This % is way above the national average.

Type I is usually early onset and insulin dependent, while Type II is usually later onset and moderated or managed by diet choices, exercise and meds.

As noted, you can get a Sharp's container by asking on line through checkin or when you meet your cabin steward.

One of the very first things that my son's Endocrinologist said to me when my son was diagnosed with T1 at 5 was that he could eat or drink whatever he wanted--we just had to count the carbs and make sure that we cover them. He's 14 now so we obviously haven't had to deal with the alcohol issue but I wouldn't think that there is anything that he cannot have at all. I would think that moderation is key though and to count the carbs and learn how your body reacts to the alcohol. I do not plan on telling my son that he cannot drink anything fruity or with alcohol but to go slow, pay attention to his body and make sure and cover the carbs. We started the journey carrying around a copy of Calorie King everywhere--now we don't even need it.

Yep. He can have a pina colada, or even two. He just wants to counter it with the appropriate dose of insulin, and not overdo it. Moderation is the key.

My kiddo went to diabetes camp (Sweeney) for several years, and the docs/counselors there did lessons on alcohol consumption, knowing the kids would eventually need good information on it prior to moving out of their parents' home.

My son is a type 1and my husband is a type 2 diabetic. Remember that sugar free does not equal carb free. Units of insulin needed is determined by the amount of carbs consumed. They said with the number of foods they have, it is impossible to have carb counts for their food items. Before the unlimited internet, we took a Calorie King book with us that listed calories, carbs, etc. for different foods. We get the value Internet package now so we just use the My Fitness Pal ap to look things up. As he becomes more familiar with how different foods affect his blood sugar level, he will need to look up less and less. If he eats something with a rich sauce that would be very hard to guess carbs, just test an extra time a couple of hours after eating and take extra insulin if needed or eat something with a few carbs if it is too low because he overestimated the number of carbs. If he is doing more physical activity than normal, he may also want to do extra testing to make sure he is not going too low. When you go ashore, always take the meter and snacks to eat if he goes low. My son used little bags of fruit snacks to use for when he goes low. They have about the same number of carbs as the glucose tablets you can buy and taste much better. Also he will have been prescribed a glucagon shot that can be administered in an emergency low. In 15 years, my son has only had one low where he was incoherent and we were unable to get him to drink a high sugar drink to quickly raise his sugar level. The longer you live with it the easier it gets. Have fun!

I am a Type I diabetic (diagnosed at 22). As he learns to adjust his diet, he will discover that sometimes Sugar Free desserts will still be high in carbs and require medication as well. Tell him to try sugar free foods/desserts before the cruise. I personally have bad stomach issues with some alternative sweeteners. If he likes Pina Coladas, he may like something I have at times. Sparkling water with coconut rum and lime.

It isn't just fruity drinks he needs to be careful with drinking. It is alcohol in general.

When the alcohol hits the body, the already malfunctioning liver in a diabetic switches to just detoxing the alcohol (as it also does in a non-diabetic) and doesn't do it's already impaired job of helping regulate blood sugar.

Once the alcohol is handles, bang! the blood sugar level is addressed which is what causes the temporary lowering of the blood sugar.

Any diabetic should be very careful with drinking alcohol and monitor their blood glucose levels if indulging.

I 100% agree that alcohol affects everyone's body differently, and this includes diabetics. I also agree that diabetics should be very careful eating or drinking anything they are not used to.

However, it is NOT true that a diabetic's liver is malfunctioning. The pancreas, or more specifically, the islet cells are the only "malfunctioning" part of a type i diabetics body. Other than not producing insulin, type i diabetics can be more healthy than their non-diabetic counterparts because they pay more attention to their diet, exercise and overall health.

Rum and diet coke. No carbs. I am type 2. Avoid sweet rums.

Actually, I disagree with quote # 1, and agree more with Quote # 2.

Hard alcohol -- including vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskey -- has 0 grams of carbs or sugar per ounce. So I say, skip the diet Coke and just go with straight shots!!!