Crepes from former Bistro on Five

windsor11green

We're disappointed to see there are no longer crepes at Bistro on Five. Does anyone know if you can still get those fabulous crepes somewhere else now? We'll be on Equinox over Memorial Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alas....no Bistro on 5 is now Sushi on 5 and I really miss the wonderful crepes, soups and salads. I don't know if you can get them elsewhere on board...I prefer the MDR so I really don't know what they have in the buffet.

Alas....no Bistro on 5 is now Sushi on 5 and I really miss the wonderful crepes, soups and salads. I don't know if you can get them elsewhere on board...I prefer the MDR so I really don't know what they have in the buffet.

Buffet for dinner is pretty good and usually at dinner not crowded, a pleasant experience. I too miss the crepes, especially the Grand Marniee. Wife and I won't go near Bait on Five.

Buffet for dinner is pretty good and usually at dinner not crowded, a pleasant experience. I too miss the crepes, especially the Grand Marniee. Wife and I won't go near Bait on Five.

So we shall confess. Not sure how many dinners we have had on cruise ships but it would be far more than 1000! And with all those dinners (on 14 cruise lines and more then 65 different vessels) we have never had dinner in a buffet! And likely never will :). We have friends that only eat their dinner in the Lido's because they hate the slow pace of a real dining room. So its each to their own taste. But for us, the socialization that happens in the MDR is so much fun. When we do dine in the MDR (we also have done Aqua/Blu and many alternative restaurants) we always ask to share a large table ( we do Select dining so are not stuck with the same folks every night). The large tables have resulted in man friendships...and in fact, we have friends (from a cruise over 20 years ago) coming to visit this summer...from England.

We are starting to think that "dining" is a lost art. You see young folks at good restaurants...and nobody is talking or socializing because everyone at the table is busy texting (perhaps to the person next to them at the table). We have sometimes dined with couple that did not seem to know how to socialize (make small talk) and we wondered if they are simply lost when they have to talk to a person face to face....as compared to texting. Dining at a large table can be sooo much fun..when you get a decent group. We have had tables where there was so much laughter...that folks would come over and ask if they could join the table!

So perhaps we are now dinosaurs, but dining remains a prime form of onboard entertainment.

Hank

So we shall confess. Not sure how many dinners we have had on cruise ships but it would be far more than 1000! And with all those dinners (on 14 cruise lines and more then 65 different vessels) we have never had dinner in a buffet! And likely never will :). We have friends that only eat their dinner in the Lido's because they hate the slow pace of a real dining room. So its each to their own taste. But for us, the socialization that happens in the MDR is so much fun. When we do dine in the MDR (we also have done Aqua/Blu and many alternative restaurants) we always ask to share a large table ( we do Select dining so are not stuck with the same folks every night). The large tables have resulted in man friendships...and in fact, we have friends (from a cruise over 20 years ago) coming to visit this summer...from England.

We are starting to think that "dining" is a lost art. You see young folks at good restaurants...and nobody is talking or socializing because everyone at the table is busy texting (perhaps to the person next to them at the table). We have sometimes dined with couple that did not seem to know how to socialize (make small talk) and we wondered if they are simply lost when they have to talk to a person face to face....as compared to texting. Dining at a large table can be sooo much fun..when you get a decent group. We have had tables where there was so much laughter...that folks would come over and ask if they could join the table!

So perhaps we are now dinosaurs, but dining remains a prime form of onboard entertainment.

Hank

Hank, my wife and I agree 100%. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is meeting new people and sharing experiences over good food. We have a golden rule - when we are with other people, our phones are turned off and our attention is on them. Actual face-to-face time (not FaceTime) is too important to us ancient dinosaurs.

We are starting to think that "dining" is a lost art. You see young folks at good restaurants...and nobody is talking or socializing because everyone at the table is busy texting (perhaps to the person next to them at the table). We have sometimes dined with couple that did not seem to know how to socialize (make small talk) and we wondered if they are simply lost when they have to talk to a person face to face....as compared to texting

We could be that couple, although we do know how to socialize. Sometimes we just prefer not to.

I'm sure there are many others like us.

Many people these days have a busy professional life that requires a lot of socializing.

Some of these (like us) find energy in shutting down from socializing once in a while.

Very rarely will you find me using my iPhone while on a cruise :cool:

We had a tradition of having our boarding lunch at Bistro but now will have our boarding day lunch in Luminae .

We have had a couple of negative experiences being at a large table for dinner. A conversation hog once, a very opinionated person who couldn't stop discussing controversial subjects loudly, etc. We prefer a table for two unless with family or travel mates. Have also meet lovely people at the bar, pool etc and we have dined with them at specialty restaurants or buffets.

We had a tradition of having our boarding lunch at Bistro but now will have our boarding day lunch in Luminae .

We have had a couple of negative experiences being at a large table for dinner. A conversation hog once, a very opinionated person who couldn't stop discussing controversial subjects loudly, etc. We prefer a table for two unless with family or travel mates. Have also meet lovely people at the bar, pool etc and we have dined with them at specialty restaurants or buffets.

We also prefer a table for two because of the same reasons you stated. There is always one conversation hog at the table and they are always opinionated.

Hank

We may only eat at the buffet once and I have a strict rule at home, no phones at the dinner table. Only stating it has improved over the years, is a good option and not the same in terms of crowds as lunchtime.

We were so sad to see Bistro on 5 go :( That was always our go-to for lunch on day 1 and we often went back on a sea day. We loved the crepes, sandwiches, and salads. We love everything about it! Neither one of us eat sushi :rolleyes:

My husband and I eat in the MDR every night but request a table for 2. We do this because my husband has a hectic and intense job, he was gone 296 days for work in 2016. We value the one on one quality time we have with each other on vacations. My husband does not like small talk because often questions about your profession arise and he does not like to talk about his job. This does not mean we are "millennials with no social skills" :cool:;p

We were so sad to see Bistro on 5 go :( That was always our go-to for lunch on day 1 and we often went back on a sea day. We loved the crepes, sandwiches, and salads. We love everything about it! Neither one of us eat sushi

Me too on the day 1 place to go...rarely overrun with throngs of people like the buffet always is. I also liked it for foods in the early afternoon after port outings. Oh well...

Neither of us are sushi fans either but I'll give the Bait on 5 a go just to see.

I will talk to the director to find out about the crepes up there in the evenings in the buffet.

Me too on the day 1 place to go...rarely overrun with throngs of people like the buffet always is. I also liked it for foods in the early afternoon after port outings. Oh well...

Neither of us are sushi fans either but I'll give the Bait on 5 a go just to see.

I will talk to the director to find out about the crepes up there in the evenings in the buffet.

Love your Bait on 5- lol However on the reflection we had dumplings- but not a real meal- no cooked Japanese food was available. Except the dumplings and soup.

It was a big disappointment for us to see the end of Bistro on five. It was our go- to place for day one lunch and a maybe a day or two other sea day lunches. Sushi is out for the hubster and I'm not looking to pad my bill. $7 was just right. I could see how the a-la-carte menu could really add up. It was nice space and we usually sat next to pleasant people for nice chat. I guess the sushi they served as a snack in the afternoon on the buffet is no longer. I enjoyed that.

Summit was the last ship to do make the conversion. As of Oct they have done away with Bistro on 5 and installed Sushi.

We were on the Summit and had the last lunch served before they shut it down and turned it into the aptly suggested "Bait on 5" (LOVE IT!!) .

We're with the group that always eats in the MDR except that we have set dining for medical reasons and I must confess we have NEVER had a bad experience. Usually we're at a table for 4 but last time on the Summit we had a table of 8. One couple insisted on talking politics (during the campaign) and when they were greeted with only silence never showed up again. We too have met some people that we still stay in touch with...I'm very out-going and will talk to strangers everywhere....sometimes people aren't disinterested, they're just shy but if you introduce yourself and ask that first question: "where are you from" followed by "what was your favorite trip" they'll join right in. Like you, I never bring my phone to the table.....I think it's rude unless you're waiting for a birth or a death. We will not under any circumstances join in discussions on politics or religion. :evilsmile:

We had them in the Oceanview Cafe made fresh while you wait at dinner which is a really nice change from the MDR.

Thanks for answering my question! That's great to hear. My husband loves the Cowboy they used to serve. The rest of the thread took off on a completely different dinner topic and didn't add any answers to my question. LOL!

Hank

We love the atmosphere at the evening buffet and sometimes plan it with others so we get a lovely quiet dinner with friends

I also would like to mention that for people with hearing aides the diningroom is very difficult. MY DH has very sophisticated high end ones and struggles in a crowded noisy place. He often has to shut them down.. So many voices and clanging dishes!! Then he can't hear except for the person on his left

There are MANY people on the ship with hearing aides.. so this not about just wanting to keep to one's self

The buffet in the evening is dead.. just so peaceful. Usually more officers eating than cruisers

Good to know, DH and I usually stop by the buffet once or twice per cruise for a casual dinner when we don't feel like dressing for the MDR. I look forward to the made-to-order stir fry with lots of veggies. It's a nice break from the richer foods offered onboard.