The Hits Keep Coming (Passport)

Garavar

If they had said "don't worry we took the passport and will mail it to you" that would be the best they could do.

Well, it would have been what you wanted to hear, but perhaps that information was not available when you called. Please remember thousands of passports were affected, and regular staff was unable to get into the space to process them. I'm just speculating here, but imagine if staff took time to track down the passports of every soul who phoned in a panic. My guess is that yes, they did the best they could under very difficult circumstances. You got your nice cruise, so be happy and don't trash other people working hard on your behalf.

So we got off the ship easily, gave global entry cards and we were out.

We get home and passports (old and new) are sitting on front porch.

Mailed via UPS overnight on April 27 and left on our porch Friday April 28 at 9:47 am.

The incompetence of the government just never ceases to amaze me. We called them everyday asking them to overnight the passport but said they couldnt.

Then they do it without telling us and let it sit there for 4 days.

Another baffling thing I noticed is it was shipped from New Orleans to our home in Florida. That means that new and old passport were mailed from Miami to New Orleans then overnighted to our house. Seems like a waste of a few days there.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

I am glad your cruise went well and you now have the new passports, shame they couldn't get it together earlier for you and caused all the stress. At least you are set now.

TPassports are very valuable documents and maintaining protocol is vital to the safety of our country. Of course they lapsed heavily on that by having it mailed without any signature requirement to you!

Yes, they are valuable. But they require that they be sent to the Passport Office by US mail, with an address clearly marked as "National Passport Office." Nothing ever gets lost or stolen from the post office. Then they mail it back by US mail, without the need for a signature (we were home when mine came, and it was left in our mail box without any requirement for signature).

They don't even offer an option to renew it in person, unless it's within 2 weeks of travel.

Most insecure system I've ever seen. Drives me absolutely nuts.