The Hits Keep Coming (Passport)

Garavar

Just a stretch b ut they knew the passport would need renewing soon. they c ould have stayed home for a month or whatever and gotten a new passport. Give up one trip to make the others go smoothly JMO. Certainly I don't know the importance or urgency of the other planned travel but a serious consideration n could have been to cross one or two tripsoff the list. They could have gotten passport card without givinng up their use of their pasport durring the process.

The armchair quarterbacking is really ridiculous on this thread. The OP walks into a passport office for a passport and paid for same day service. Why should they have planned for any problem with this? This is just a fluke situation that could not have been anticipated. The expiration date has zero relevance. It could have been a year away. What is the difference?

When someone gives the following ratings, I wonder just how much of traveller they are:

02/26/17 Navigator of the Seas (Junior Suite 9306 - 10/10)

01/03/17 Crystal Serenity (B2 Deluxe 8061 - Rating 8/10)

Guess Serenity lost points for no hairy chest contest and no water slide.

Ratings are based on room not the cruise line. (Location, sounds etc). For this particular cruise, we didn't like the room size, thought for Suite only cruise line the room would be bigger. It unfortunately felt cramped compared to JS/GS on Royal. Also the closet space was lacking in our opinion.

It's okay, we went bigger for our new Crystal cruise in October which is 23 days.

As for water slides and events those aren't for us. I probably haven't been in a pool in at least 10 years if not more. Never been in a pool on a cruise line in my lifetime.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Just a stretch b ut they knew the passport would need renewing soon. they c ould have stayed home for a month or whatever and gotten a new passport. Give up one trip to make the others go smoothly JMO. Certainly I don't know the importance or urgency of the other planned travel but a serious consideration n could have been to cross one or two tripsoff the list. They could have gotten passport card without givinng up their use of their pasport durring the process.

The OP did nothing wrong and their plan would have worked sans flooding. In any event a copy of the birth certificate will be acceptable to go on this closed loop cruise- which is something that as you know I mention frequently so people can keep it in mind for situations just like this one.

When someone gives the following ratings, I wonder just how much of traveller they are:

Wow, what brought that little diatribe on?

Wow, what brought that little diatribe on?

CTVnRN0VAAQ7x8-.jpg

Perhaps the other trips (that you want them to cancel) were more important than a cruise -- yes my friend there are things more important in life than a cruise. Business trip perhaps -- where income and / or retention of job is the payback.

SMH -- life is not governed by a cruise. In the big scheme of things a cruise is pretty insignificant.

You don't need an original birth certificate; rather, you need an official birth certificate.

Go to your local Register of Deeds office and tell them what you need. Assuming the person in question was born in the US, they can verify the birth certificate, and you'll walk out with an official printed copy in hand. This, of course, requires paying a fee.

I did it a year ago when I needed a copy of my husband's birth certificate and our marriage license. I went to our local Register of Deeds, and I expected to get only the marriage certificate. I was very pleased to hear that I didn't have to send away for his birth certificate.

Not sure why you would suggest the Register of Deeds to look for a birth certificate, I guess your state is different than most. You have to know where they are stored. In some states, it is in the local county at the clerks office, in others it is in the local public health department, in others they are stored only in the state capital at the secretary of state's office, in others they are stored at the state level in the department of public health.

In some states you can walk out with a copy, in others they are only sent by mail. In some you can get same day service, in others it takes up to a week.

Just because one state does something a certain way does not mean that every state is the same.

I just called them all and left messages, we shall see if they help thanks.

What's so frustrating is the office is closed and they have both the original and new one. They should have someone go in there and mail or overnight to peope. Just stay closed.

The idea sounds good on its face but you have no way of knowing if the new one, the original, or both are damaged beyond use. You may have to start from scratch like it is your first passport to get a replacement.

The idea sounds good on its face but you have no way of knowing if the new one, the original, or both are damaged beyond use. You may have to start from scratch like it is your first passport to get a replacement.

The office posted on Twitter that the new and old passports were fine and survived

so with your thinking everyone should have a BC as well as passport when cruising? That's STUPID!

That is not what the person you are quoting said. They said that you should always have a coy of your birth certificate at home with you. Sometimes that alone is enough to cruise. No one suggested taking both on the same cruise.

The reports said nothing was damaged

That is not what the person you are quoting said. They said that you should always have a coy of your birth certificate at home with you. Sometimes that alone is enough to cruise. No one suggested taking both on the same cruise.

How do you keep a copy at home with you?

I just realized my post was moved from Royal Caribbean forum to general "Ask a Cruise Question" forum.

This topic was specifically for Royal since every line can have their own check in Policies. I don't know why a mod chose to move it.

I will post an update if I get on board or am denied. Will also update if I have any trouble getting back in through customs

I think for archive purpose and future searches this really should go back to Royal's forum so if someone suffers the same fate they could have some guidance.

I just realized my post was moved from Royal Caribbean forum to general "Ask a Cruise Question" forum.

This topic was specifically for Royal since every line can have their own check in Policies. I don't know why a mod chose to move it.

I will post an update if I get on board or am denied. Will also update if I have any trouble getting back in through customs

I think for archive purpose and future searches this really should go back to Royal's forum so if someone suffers the same fate they could have some guidance.

Yes, the mods will move questions like this and as you say there can be slight differences between the lines. This is one of those threads that I will remember and reference for a while. (And as long as your copy is of an official government issued birth certificate issued by one of the 50 states I don't see why you would be denied because of it.)

Perhaps the other trips (that you want them to cancel) were more important than a cruise -- yes my friend there are things more important in life than a cruise. Business trip perhaps -- where income and / or retention of job is the payback.

sail 7seas Just a stretch b ut they knew the passport would need renewing soon. they c ould have stayed home for a month or whatever and gotten a new passport. Give up one trip to make the others go smoothly JMO Certainly I don't know the importance or urgency of the other planned travel but a serious consideration n could have been to cross one or two tripsoff the list. They could have gotten passport card without giving up their use of their passport durring the process.

Seems you missed the sentence covering 'that conerpt. I shall try to underline it .

SMH -- life is not governed by a cruise. In the big scheme of things a cruise is pretty insignificant.Sigh....... move abreviating........ What does SMH MEAN?

Edited by sail7seas

Glad it all worked out in the end, OP. Smooth and happy cruising! I think they should up the passport validity period though.

I think it would be better if they didn't make you lose the time left on your passport, so if you renewed 6 months early your new passport would be good for 10 years and 6 months. I know that other countries do this.

Seems you missed the sentence covering 'that conerpt. I shall try to underline it .

SMH -- life is not governed by a cruise. In the big scheme of things a cruise is pretty insignificant.Sigh....... move abreviating........ What does SMH MEAN?

SMH - shaking my head

The reports said nothing was damaged

How do you keep a copy at home with you?

welp, mine is tucked away nice and safe in our fireproof safe. my passport is actually usually in my purse since my only other picture ID is my military ID and half of todays youth have no freaking idea what it is and tell me I cannot use it ( nor does it convey citizenship regardless) I actually have 3 copies, 1 of which is certified/notarized.

It would be useful to me for any last minute 'oh crap' incidents such as my passport office flooding 3 days before my cruise.

OP: all I suggest is to get a passport card for any future natural disasters. not sure how long they are good for, but I would time getting one so that it would have several months remaining on it past your normal PP expiration date for a comfortable cushion.

Well, gee, imagine that................ One is supposed to 'guess what all these abreviations mean? :D It would help moer if thre is some context as a clue.

Teenagers know inherently what the abbreviations mean, us older folk need to figure it out as we go along.:)

Well, gee, imagine that................ One is supposed to 'guess what all these abreviations mean? :D It would help moer if thre is some context as a clue.

this is all common knowledge actually. in all inter web messaging/ boards. in fact there are many websites dedicate to breaking down them all. now while each niche market such as cruising may have some specific TLAs( that's Three Letter Acronyms) like TA for Travel Agent..or Transatlatic, SMH is universal along with all the D ones( DH, DD, DW etc)

besides rarely can you not figure it out in context of use.

welp, mine is tucked away nice and safe in our fireproof safe. my passport is actually usually in my purse since my only other picture ID is my military ID and half of todays youth have no freaking idea what it is and tell me I cannot use it ( nor does it convey citizenship regardless) I actually have 3 copies, 1 of which is certified/notarized.

It would be useful to me for any last minute 'oh crap' incidents such as my passport office flooding 3 days before my cruise.

OP: all I suggest is to get a passport card for any future natural disasters. not sure how long they are good for, but I would time getting one so that it would have several months remaining on it past your normal PP expiration date for a comfortable cushion.

Passport cards are valid for the same length of time as a passport, so 5 years for a minor passport and 10 years for an adult.

The OP's safe is in NY