The Hits Keep Coming (Passport)

Garavar

The copy needn't be certified (which is really what you are getting from the state, a certified copy, which is what most people consider to be the original). I presented a copy of my birth certificate on another line and no one looked twice at it and I have also read of numerous posts by people whose trip was saved by a faxed copy of their birth certificate. As mentioned bring a copy of your marriage certificate if DW's name has changed.

I have been on cruises twice with friends/family members that they did not bring their birth certificates to Florida for the cruise. Both time we had them faxed to the hotel, printed out and then we "roughed" them up a little (folded and dogeared). There were no questions asked. However, coming back customs did question them for a moment.

I've had to do this before, you are fine with any old copy of a birth certificate. No cert. necessary. The one we used was from a military birthing too, no issues at all. I'd venture you can probably download a copy of a NY birth cert. online and modify it in Photoshop, print on regular old paper and be fine, not that I'm advocating that....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks, this is reassuring we are gonna try the plain copy it's our only option.

VisaCentral from prior post said they can't help, they are by appointment only and booked until May.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

A Global Entry Card is US Government issued, why can't it be used as ID? :confused:

ID would be satisfied by a driver's license, I think they need something to prove citizenship. Not sure why the government does not list Global Entry as proving citizenship.

A Global Entry Card is not acceptable for identification upon cruise check in.

It may not be used for ID but it should be able to be used to verify citizenship, which is done during the background check prior to it being issued. I don't think the OP will need it with the copy of the birth certificate he has, but I would bring everything I could just to be safe.

The passport wasnt expired. We travel every month (pretty much every 3 weeks). We did this at Passport agency so we wouldn't have to mail our passports in and worry about them getting lost or delayed in mail.

No lesson here, except travel less?

Or don't go to the agency to get your passport renewed the day before it floods.:) I personally don't see what you could have done differently to avoid this freak set of circumstances.

ID would be satisfied by a driver's license, I think they need something to prove citizenship. Not sure why the government does not list Global Entry as proving citizenship.

So it would be OK as ID,along with a Birth Certificate I understand it can't be used as proof of Citizenship as it is available to non American Citizens

So it would be OK as ID,along with a Birth Certificate I understand it can't be used as proof of Citizenship as it is available to non American Citizens

Yes, if it has a photo, it would work as a "government issued photo ID".

I have been on cruises twice with friends/family members that they did not bring their birth certificates to Florida for the cruise. Both time we had them faxed to the hotel, printed out and then we "roughed" them up a little (folded and dogeared). There were no questions asked. However, coming back customs did question them for a moment.

The roughing up was quite clever. Gotta love attention to detail 😄

OP - For peace of mind contact this lady to see if they will accept what you currently have in your possession.

Director of Guest Relations and Shared Services

Laly Rodriguez

ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

If you are able to work something out with them make sure they notify the port and provide you with the name of the contact person there.

Sorry for the OP on this one, but it makes for a real time "lessons learned" for all of us to double check our passports and not leave things like this to the last minute.

I agree. Sometimes we create our own situations unnecessarily.

The passport wasnt expired. We travel every month (pretty much every 3 weeks). We did this at Passport agency so we wouldn't have to mail our passports in and worry about them getting lost or delayed in mail.

But you said in you opening comment that the passport was set to expire in 4 weeks. That seems to be cutting it very close. No room for error.

But you said in you opening comment that the passport was set to expire in 4 weeks. That seems to be cutting it very close. No room for error.

Well, if they travel once a month, it doesn't leave much room for renewal does it?

Seems like the OP did everything right. I feel their pain... I used to travel internationally about once a month for work and was in the same situation with my last renewal. Fortunately, I was able to get a same day renewal at the Embassy.

If the circumstances were the same- being told to come back the next day and then not being able to because the office is flooded then it doesn't matter how much time is left on the passport, the OP would be in the same pickle. If I were traveling every month and weren't traveling where I needed a set amount of time left on my passport I probably would have waited to renew also.

OP - For peace of mind contact this lady to see if they will accept what you currently have in your possession.

Director of Guest Relations and Shared Services

Laly Rodriguez

ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

If you are able to work something out with them make sure they notify the port and provide you with the name of the contact person there.

I am doing that right now, thank you.

Have you contacted RCCL?

Yes I did, the reps had no idea, and couldn't give me a straight answer, I am emailing guest relations person from above

Right but if I had done it last month (with 8 weeks left) before Brilliance sailing and the office flooded I would be in same exact position.

The point is we always have a trip planned, next month we are going to Cabo. So the same day passport agency was our only option and a flood bit us in the bum.

Now they have old passport and new passport with zero means of getting it.

Well, if they travel once a month, it doesn't leave much room for renewal does it?

Seems like the OP did everything right. I feel their pain... I used to travel internationally about once a month for work and was in the same situation with my last renewal. Fortunately, I was able to get a same day renewal at the Embassy.

Exactly, thanks

Sorry you have had to go through this. However, I do feel there is a lesson here. Get a certified copy of the birth certificate going forward so you have a backup plan in the event the passport is not in your possession come departure time.

Sorry you have had to go through this. However, I do feel there is a lesson here. Get a certified copy of the birth certificate going forward so you have a backup plan in the event the passport is not in your possession come departure time.

Yeah we have ordered one for the future, wish we had done so prior

OP - I hope you get this worked out satisfactorily. If not, I hope you have cancel for any reason insurance.

No insurance, never get insurance. Take my chances and stand to lose this time.

Found this tidbit on the CBP website:

"Using Your Global Entry Card

We accept Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry.

Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification chips, which enable their use at Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) and NEXUS travel lanes when entering the United States at the land borders. You must follow all program rules for SENTRI when using this card at the Southern land border ports of entry."

And, on the back of my GE card, it has the SENTRI logo.

One thing on the having to pay $200 again: Since the FL office is flooded out, the ATL or NO offices would have no way of knowing if you paid the $200, I imagine...

Good luck.

So I emailed Passport Agency since phone number people aren't helpful and I got this canned response:

"Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center.

To better assist you, and due to general email security restrictions, we are unable to provide you with any specific information regarding your particular situation. Please call our office at the number listed below.

For further information, please refer to our website*http://www.travel.state.gov*or call*(877) 487-2778, for TDD/TTY users*1-888-874-7793*(Mon-Fri 8:00AM to 10:00PM and Sat 10:00AM to 3:00PM ET; excluding federal holidays). If you need to contact us again by email, please include all prior messages/correspondence in your reply so we can review what has previously taken place.

Thank you.

National Passport Information Center

Agent #2092"

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVTerrell/status/856919001972322305?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet (images of flood. Caption says passports are save.

But second tweet says:

"No passports that were ready for pickup were damaged. But now, it's not safe to send people in" -- Dooley, Miami Agency director.

So don't send customers in. Grab all the passports. And take them to city hall for pick up or something. Seriously it's not that hard.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVTerrell/status/856919001972322305?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet (images of flood. Caption says passports are save.

But second tweet says:

"No passports that were ready for pickup were damaged. But now, it's not safe to send people in" -- Dooley, Miami Agency director.

So don't send customers in. Grab all the passports. And take them to city hall for pick up or something. Seriously it's not that hard.

He didn't say customers, he said people. That would include his staff I would think.

But second tweet says:

I'm with you! It should be safe enough to send someone in, retrieve the completed passports, and hand them out at city hall or a courthouse with ID.

I would strongly complain to my congressional representative and senator. I would also request a refund of my $200 express fee.

OP, you might consider getting passport cards as well as books for the future, just to have a back up plan. You may never need them, but never hurts to have another ID.

I had my entire family's passports and supporting documentation in the Passport agency in New Orleans when Katrina hit. They were scheduled to be mailed out a few days after it hit. The whole first floors of the building was under water as well as the whole area. I was very surprised when they showed up 2 weeks later. Apparently the passports were either evacutated or shortly retireved after the hurricane hit.

Hopefully, they can do the same here.