Buying fine art on Princess?

Kingofcool1947

I just looked up the free Picot serigraph that I got on a cruise ten years ago. They said it was worth $80 at that time. It's now selling on eBay for $14. Luckily it was a gift fir attending their art auction, so I didn't spend any money on it. I didn't buy anything either, but I did get a free glass of cheap champagne! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH has done extensive Thomas Kinkade reproductions for his job, so he is very knowledgable about the art. We were on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and the Art Auction guy stopped us as we were walking by and started his spiel trying to get us to come in and buy something.

My DH started talking to him about one of the TK paintings, asking lots of questions, making statements and the guy was just tripping over his words. It was amusing and then DH was so polite and just said "no thanks".

My DH said he feels so sorry for the people that don't know any better and fall for this rip off.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

My DH has done extensive Thomas Kinkade reproductions for his job, so he is very knowledgable about the art. We were on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and the Art Auction guy stopped us as we were walking by and started his spiel trying to get us to come in and buy something.

My DH started talking to him about one of the TK paintings, asking lots of questions, making statements and the guy was just tripping over his words. It was amusing and then DH was so polite and just said "no thanks".

My DH said he feels so sorry for the people that don't know any better and fall for this rip off.

What's the Forrest Gump saying? Oh yeah! Stupid is as stupid does!

I just got off the Ruby and went to part of a couple auctions because there was something coming up in the same place. Such a scam. Nothing is truly original. They are selling prints of artwork. The guy was going on about how much something was worth and how you'll never find it again, then sold three copies of the same piece.

You will not find "FINE ART" on a cruise ship. If you like a piece, buy it, but buy it because you love it...not because it has any value. The stuff they sell are prints....and have little resale value, unless someone (like you) likes it enough to pay for it. Art is funny that way. The value is in the eye of the beholder.

If you like something, and want it to dress up your home...buy it. Otherwise, invest in bonds or stocks or a CD! Do NOT expect to gain from a ship's purchase!

If you do like something and decide to buy, be careful. The actual auction part for each piece is quick and can be confusing. I saw the auctioneer start at say, $130, then go up to $140 and $150 like people were bidding, then say something like, "I'm going to pass that along." It makes it seem like things are being purchased when they aren't to create excitement and urgency. If he starts the bidding at $130, you will likely be able to go back later and get it for that price.

Greetings,

DW and I will be sailing on next Princess cruise July 2017.

We were thinking of purchasing several Peter Max paintings, and a Peter Max sculpture on this cruise. Maybe other art as well, DW wants to buy a Thomas Kincaid painting. We have never purchased art at an onboard ship auction, or for that matter, from a land based auction house. Basically we are "newbies" to collecting fine art.

Just wondering, does the fine art auctioned, and sold, on Princess cruises represent good value? Is it possible to get a "good deal" on the art?

I understand, Park West provides a certificate of the art's Appraisal Value. Is the appraisal value what the art would be appraised for by an independent art appraiser back home?

Any tips for the best strategy to purchasing art at the auction? Best deals in art during the auctions?

Thanks.

There is a word that describes the people who buy "fine art" from Park West - the word is "sucker".

DON