Buying fine art on Princess?

Kingofcool1947

I just wanted to add my two cents. I bought a piece of art on my January Regal Princess cruise. It was on display and I purchased pre auction, along with another couple, which lowered the price slightly. PWG said I saved $1000, but at the end of the day I liked the print, so it didn't matter to me. After researching the artist, she is Australia based, and sells her prints (reproductions) to PWG, so many of her items are for sale there only once the original canvas is sold.

I received my print 5 weeks after the cruise. I love it and am planning on purchasing another one in June on my Regal Princess cruise.

I think if you enjoy the art for what it is, then you will be happy. If you're collecting for appraisal value etc, well, I can see why there are so many frustrated customers out there.

There is, of course, no accounting for taste, and so if you like any of Kinkade's sentimental hogswallop, more power to you. (Hell, I'd rather have a Godard olive painting. At least those are supposed to be funny…I think. But that's just me.) And I'm sure there's music I love that most of you would think is crap. Anyway, the holier-than-thou Mr. Kinkade couldn't care less, having died a rich drunkard's death several years after publicly peeing on a Winnie-the-Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel.

But I digress. I think that what bothers me most about Princess art (aside from seeing the same "originals" again and again on ship after ship) is twofold:

First, there are a lot of talented artists out there - some very traditional, some experimental - who are struggling to make a living while industrial-strength art manufacturers who churn out third-rate faux Renoirs by the yard are the ones who make the bucks from shipboard auctions. If Park West actually cared about "fine art," they might seek out and sell stuff besides the same Kinkades you can buy on QVC. Not even popular populist artists like Haring and Banksy are represented, but dancing olives are.

Second, there are those "art education" sessions where the history of contemporary art ends somewhere around Dali, except for the biographies of the artists being flogged by Park West described in excruciating detail, along with hype about how amazingly great they are. It would be nice if they actually taught pax something meaningful about art but…oh, who am I kidding?

(By the bye, I go to a lot of art museums and the only time I recall seeing a Peter Max in an actual curated show is a poster in the Berkeley Art Museum's retrospective on the Summer of Love. I guess that qualifies him as a fine artist rather than a commercial hack.)

We have purchased from Park West Gallery on several occasions. After our second purchase at-sea we were invited to an all expense paid VIP auction on land that included three nights in the Four Seasons hotel, daily auctions with a featured artist (Duaiv, Tim Yanke and Michael Godard). We got pictures with Duaiv and Godard, it was awesome! Everything we bought at that event included free shipping, framing, and appraisal. We have taken a few cruises since that VIP event but it just doesn't make sense to buy on a ship anymore.

My advice would be to read the terms of purchase and don't buy for a return on your investment, know that it can take 12 weeks for your art to arrive. Even if you don't buy anything, attend an auction and you will learn a lot!

I read a very interesting article about Park West. Apparently they had been fined for misrepresenting their art work and the prices were inflated. I don't have the link, but I'm sure you could find it by doing a google search. With that said, it is still fun to go to the auctions. Just beware of what you are getting. [emoji2][emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it possible to get a "good deal" on the art?

Probably not. Yet, if money is not really a problem, and you like the convenience of art being sold on your ship and you happen to really like the piece at the price you'd pay, DO buy it.

If you think it's an investment besides being a nice piece of art on the wall, you probably should NOT buy it.

There is, of course, no accounting for taste, and so if you like any of Kinkade's sentimental hogswallop, more power to you. (Hell, I'd rather have a Godard olive painting. At least those are supposed to be funny…I think. But that's just me.) And I'm sure there's music I love that most of you would think is crap. Anyway, the holier-than-thou Mr. Kinkade couldn't care less, having died a rich drunkard's death several years after publicly peeing on a Winnie-the-Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel.

I recall the 60 minutes story on Kinkade. Most of it was printed on a print press in a factory and then someone, not Kinkade, painted a few brushstrokes on the print.

So by happen chance I was on a Princess cruise when under their own art program that had Godard onboard. Very amusing fellow. He demonstrated his painting. It takes him about five minutes or so to paint an Olive painting.

I

So by happen chance I was on a Princess cruise when under their own art program that had Godard onboard. Very amusing fellow. He demonstrated his painting. It takes him about five minutes or so to paint an Olive painting.

That long?

And he always seems to cover up the paint by numbers parts... [emoji4]

Those auctions hope for newbies. do your homework at home and on line.

We have bought some pretty artwork on board but never spent more than a hundred, usually less.Their framing is a good value and we usually have the artwork framed. The cost of this has free shipping and less than at home pricing.

Never buy anything really expensive on board, on an auction on board, or in a port.

I love to shop and do buy stuff but my rule is keep it under $100.00. If you get screwed, and item is not worth it, you lost mostly your pride.

The Auction on board are entertaining and if you have nothing else to do, it is fun to watch just don't fall for the Auctioneer's

hype.We have won some free art which we enjoy. They have raffles at the auction.

I have purchased art from Princess Fine Arts when it was not taken over by Park West. I received the numerous fliers for free champagne and some other invitations because I was a previous customer. I was extremely bothered that the only way I could get the nasty champagne was to register for a paddle.

I sat anyway. A "suit" came over to ask why I hadn't registered. Boy, did he get an earful. I got him "engaged" for a few minutes before he realized that he did not have a potential buy. That was my entertainment for the afternoon.

Heed the advice of most of the posts. Do your homework. With the internet, a lot is available. Don't get pressured by the frenzy.

I agree with you, the need for a paddle now is really irritating, and we have never registered for one even when we've seen something that was interesting.

I HATE the high pressure tactics. The previous Princess Fine Arts wasn't like that. Your cruise card was your "paddle", and no shills were running about yelling. After a minute or two of that we leave. I recall fondly interacting with the President of Princess Fine Arts over drinks of our choice (upgraded with higher quality ingredients), and being given time to sit with a piece of art to be able to calmly discuss its merits for our house and setting. All that is gone now, and that loss is one of the biggest mistakes Princess has ever made.

We still look at the pictures, and that provides some enjoyment on a cruise, even if it only sometimes brings a laugh. We've been mistaken for "art connoisseurs" as we talk to each other about the merits (or demerits) of the offerings.

And if you wonder if we've ever bought something - look at my avatar.

Besides, they really should be paying us to drink the 'champagne' - hazardous waste disposal costs a fortune! ;)

Bill are you crazy? That good Champagne the boys make it every Tuesday in the boiler room. From the bilgewater that Princess doesn't dump in the ocean anymore.

Tony

People go for one of several reasons: 1) Free "champagne", 2) Our personal pet peeve - It's a sea day, it's too cold to sit out by the pool, and the auction has taken over one of the largest spaces with indoor seating - there's nowhere else to sit, 3) Curiosity/Entertainment (as in "I can't believe that people are actually bidding on that!"), 4) They have so much money, they can't possibly spend it all, or 5)...no doubt someone else will add something!

Number 6) Make sure we've got seats for trivia;p

That good Champagne the boys make it every Tuesday in the boiler room. From the bilgewater that Princess doesn't dump in the ocean anymore.

Tony

They'd have to pay me 40 million dollars to drink all the 'champagne'. Although, it does have a beautiful 'benzine' bouquet, and fruity 'fuel' finish. :)

Has anyone who is posting to "avoid" and "fraud" actually purchased any art on board or are you just trolling?

Two people go for a run together. The road they are on appears to end abruptly. The first person keeps running and falls off the cliff and is seriously injured. The second person pulls up short of the cliff and stops. If both people later tried to give you advice on whether or not to jog down that road, is only the first runner's advice valid and worth heeding?

Here's a more concrete analogy that will help put it in perspective. Suppose the ship partnered with a vendor to sell cars instead of art. You were interested in a new Honda Accord and your research from guidebooks, magazines, the internet, and subscription services such as Edmonds and AAA Car Buying Service revealed that the car you wanted with the options you wanted in the color you wanted should cost around $26,500. You go on the cruise and the vendor has the car you want priced at $30,000 but when you talk to the sales person, they can't promise you all the options that you want and the color may or may not be the one you prefer. You refuse to make a purchase and report back on this board that buying a car while on a cruise is not recommended. Should we ignore or discount your advice because you didn't succumb to the sales pitch? Or should we be grateful for relaying your experience and thank you?

In theory, art and cars are very different. Art is unique and handmade while cars are fungible and mass produced. One can easily do research on the make and model of the car and get a very good idea of its worth. But not so with art......unless.....the "art" being sold is fungible and mass produced, which cruise ship art is. So when people do their homework and research and report back that the olives and moss-covered cottages are overpriced and that the seller is difficult to deal with, there is just as much credibility to their advice as there would be if you told us that the cars are overpriced and the dealer is difficult to deal with. Those conclusions can be drawn both by people who fell for the deception and by those whose assessment of the situation caused them to stop short before going off the cliff.

Two people go for a run together. The road they are on appears to end abruptly. The first person keeps running and falls off the cliff and is seriously injured. The second person pulls up short of the cliff and stops. If both people later tried to give you advice on whether or not to jog down that road, is only the first runner's advice valid and worth heeding?

Here's a more concrete analogy that will help put it in perspective. Suppose the ship partnered with a vendor to sell cars instead of art. You were interested in a new Honda Accord and your research from guidebooks, magazines, the internet, and subscription services such as Edmonds and AAA Car Buying Service revealed that the car you wanted with the options you wanted in the color you wanted should cost around $26,500. You go on the cruise and the vendor has the car you want priced at $30,000 but when you talk to the sales person, they can't promise you all the options that you want and the color may or may not be the one you prefer. You refuse to make a purchase and report back on this board that buying a car while on a cruise is not recommended. Should we ignore or discount your advice because you didn't succumb to the sales pitch? Or should we be grateful for relaying your experience and thank you?

In theory, art and cars are very different. Art is unique and handmade while cars are fungible and mass produced. One can easily do research on the make and model of the car and get a very good idea of its worth. But not so with art......unless.....the "art" being sold is fungible and mass produced, which cruise ship art is. So when people do their homework and research and report back that the olives and moss-covered cottages are overpriced and that the seller is difficult to deal with, there is just as much credibility to their advice as there would be if you told us that the cars are overpriced and the dealer is difficult to deal with. Those conclusions can be drawn both by people who fell for the deception and by those whose assessment of the situation caused them to stop short before going off the cliff.

Very nicely annotated. Thank you for taking the time to elaborate on this thread. There are some really very super posters on CC. Rare to run across, but delightful and interesting read when one is found.

I never have been to the art auctions, so I cannot speak to the value of what is offered, but I do have a question......In 60 cruises we have seen the same exact pictures(excuse me....fine art) on all of them. How can anything that is obviously so common be of any value?...There are so many copies of each piece that one wonders. On the other hand, I believe an object is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I might suggest that one first check what is for sale on Ebay first.

Doug

Surprisingly enough I have seen a couple of very good Kincaid paintings. (I never thought I would defend a Kincaid painting...) They were not in the vein of "the artist of color and light" or whatever the phrase is. My son bought one for my other son's wife. It was a very nice scene of a mountain pasture that sloped down and there was a realistic ranch building, horses, etc. Not at all like I think of for a "normal" Kincaid. It was really a very nice piece. I tried to talk him out of buying it because it was freaking $3k for the signed picture but he bought it anyway and gave it to her for Christmas one year. She still has it - along with the house, the furniture, the vehicles, the livestock, and the damn horse trainer that she dumped my son for. (Sorry, a bit bitter about this.) Fortunately my son is now married to an absolutely wonderful woman we love. I do wish he had that painting though... :mad:

Wait till she tries to sell that painting & finds out it's probably nearly worthless! It may have been "signed",likely an electronic signature, which can look pretty good. What this "schlock" artist used to do was get an amateur artist to put a few brush strokes on the print & sell it as an original. They had a big show on 60 min. about Kinkaid. I always thought he was a charlatan. Yes, he could paint beautiful pieces, but then he cheapened himself by selling Giclee prints as originals. There used to be a Kinkaid shop in Ogunquit Maine that sold this crap to unsuspecting people. Thank God it's long gone, just like that charlatan.