Buying fine art on Princess?

Kingofcool1947

People go for one of several reasons: 1) Free "champagne", 2) Our personal pet peeve - It's a sea day, it's too cold to sit out by the pool, and the auction has taken over one of the largest spaces with indoor seating - there's nowhere else to sit, 3) Curiosity/Entertainment (as in "I can't believe that people are actually bidding on that!"), 4) They have so much money, they can't possibly spend it all, or 5)...no doubt someone else will add something!

Check eBay and Amazon so you are able to get an idea of what prices are. Also a local gallery can give you some information. Read all you can so you will know what you are buying. Google is your friend.

Edited by joeyancho

Go drink whatever they are serving for free, but remember....Look but DO NOT BUY.

I have purchased art from Princess Fine Arts when it was not taken over by Park West. I received the numerous fliers for free champagne and some other invitations because I was a previous customer. I was extremely bothered that the only way I could get the nasty champagne was to register for a paddle.

I sat anyway. A "suit" came over to ask why I hadn't registered. Boy, did he get an earful. I got him "engaged" for a few minutes before he realized that he did not have a potential buy. That was my entertainment for the afternoon.

Heed the advice of most of the posts. Do your homework. With the internet, a lot is available. Don't get pressured by the frenzy.

I too agree that Park West is much less desirable than its predecessor, both in the quality of its art but also in the variety. (I am so sick of seeing nothing much but Peter Max and olives. Dogs playing poker would be an improvement.)

Also Park West tactics really irk me. The last straw was on our February 2017 cruise on the Regal Princess. Not satisfied with hogging the big lounge at the stern of the ship, Park West started ruining the atrium by cramming it with their so called art on several days.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is that cruises would be more enjoyable if Princess did away with allowing the art gallery and the photographers to leave their designated base area. If anyone wants art or photos, let them go to the art and photo galleries. Blocking the lounge, atrium, passageways, elevator lobbies, and gangways or interrupting your dinner to sell art or photos is an inconvenience to everyone.

Has anyone who is posting to "avoid" and "fraud" actually purchased any art on board or are you just trolling?

That is kind of like asking someone " Do you still beat your wife?"

If someone has actually done research a number of topics including the type of art sold (mostly printed reproductions (lithographs, etc) and not hand painted originals, the market, the history of the vendor, etc they most likely would not buy, but your question implies that the only people that can talk about the subject are those that have purchased.

If you like over priced reproductions then by all means go ahead.

Anyone can and should do an internet search for an artist and the name of the work, as well as the type of production, and get an idea what a work can be obtained for.

For example if you like Peter Max lithographs take a look on ebay to get a good idea.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/peter-max-signed

That is kind of like asking someone " Do you still beat your wife?"

If someone has actually done research a number of topics including the type of art sold (mostly printed reproductions (lithographs, etc) and not hand painted originals, the market, the history of the vendor, etc they most likely would not buy, but your question implies that the only people that can talk about the subject are those that have purchased.

If you like over priced reproductions then by all means go ahead.

Anyone can and should do an internet search for an artist and the name of the work, as well as the type of production, and get an idea what a work can be obtained for.

I'll take real world purchasers word over someone who says "Well, my sisters best friend read on the internet that..." any day of the week.

I'll take real world purchasers word over someone who says "Well, my sisters best friend read on the internet that..." any day of the week.

So to you the only people with a credible opinion about ship board art sales are those that felt that they were getting a good enough deal there such that they actually made a purchase? That is too funny.

Doing one owns research is not reading ad hoc postings. It is checking prices from a number of sources including original list prices via galleries, resale prices, and where possible wholesale prices (though that usually cannot be done online easily without commercial accounts). It also means researching and understanding exactly what one is buying. What is available on ships are reproductions, not originals.

In some cases companies selling art do not even have to warehouse what they are selling, because they have the equipment to produce it on demand to fill orders and do not buy the artwork from the artist, but instead pay a license fee for each copy they print.

If someone sees something that they really like and feel that it is worth to them what they are paying, than by all means do so. But do not expect that it is an investment, and that one will even get a fraction of the amount paid on resale. Appraisals are not resale. To use your terms, the only people that should comment about value are those that have actually resold a piece of art work purchased on board ship.

If you like Thomas Kincaid try ebay for an idea on prices (note even pay it now are asking prices and not necessarily what you could get).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=kincaid&_osacat=550&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H1.Xthomas+kincaid.TRS0&_nkw=thomas+kincaid&_sacat=550

Edited by RDC1

Phil:

You sound like the uniformed buyer that Park West preys on, but if you like something, go ahead and buy it.

So, just curious, why is it that the art auctions are always standing room only, with PAX bidding and buying the art. Are they all fools?

I think I'll pass on the art auctions as all here have recommended.

Same reason they buy over priced duty free "fine" jewelry in the ship sponsored shops on the island. A sucker is born every minute.

Has anyone who is posting to "avoid" and "fraud" actually purchased any art on board or are you just trolling?

The answer is yes. I did make a purchase from Park West. A Disney Cell. This was before the days of easy internet access. It was delivered. In the meantime, I "found" something similar on land for a better price. So I returned it. I was one of the lucky ones. I received my purchase price back. Returning it was not an easy task.

I also "won" "free" poster art. They wanted to charge me for framing and shipping. I declined both.

My biggest gripe about the new art auction program on the ships is their unsavory "character". I go for the entertainment factor now. Once I sat through the "preview" time. It was suppose to last 30 minutes. After 60 minutes, they started the auction. Reason? To give buyers more time to preview the displays. Did I mention (haha), no champagne?

The auction itself is very much an eye opener. It is very fast paced. They throw in blind auction items and make it seem like you just received a treasure from the Louvre.

I did make purchases from Princess Fine Arts. They were very reputable. The art auctions were very informative and not the frenzy activity that is the current mode of operation. Of course, it took me three cruises to make up my mind. They also had Wyland on board once and they had lots of small pieces for sale. Several of my friends partook in that "auction".

I wanted to buy a Thomas Kincaid piece of art from Princess Fine Arts. But after doing my homework, decided against it. They also had some lovely ballerina art works that I was interested in. The auctioneer spent a lot of time with me in his "office" discussing various artists. Didn't buy any of these either. Did Park West ever take the time to do this? No...all they are interested in is high pressure tactics.

Does this "qualify" me as a valid poster?

Have you been to an auction on board a ship? Only you will be able to decide if a piece is worth it or not. Art is very personal. If you like it, buy it. But be very careful about all of the add ons.

Edited by cr8tiv1

The stories regarding Park West are much more than just friend-of-a-friend tales; the law suits are real, the investigative journalism stories are real, the dubious "independent" appraisals are real. That said, some of the stories go back away and Park West MAY have cleaned-up their worst behaviors and not all buys on board are bad but it isn't the safe place to buy high-end art. Some nice mass-market Thomas Kinkaid or similar type stuff is fine simply because it is every where and prices are well established.

Greetings,

DW and I will be sailing on next Princess cruise July 2017.

We were thinking of purchasing several Peter Max paintings, and a Peter Max sculpture on this cruise. Maybe other art as well, DW wants to buy a Thomas Kincaid painting. We have never purchased art at an onboard ship auction, or for that matter, from a land based auction house. Basically we are "newbies" to collecting fine art.

Just wondering, does the fine art auctioned, and sold, on Princess cruises represent good value? Is it possible to get a "good deal" on the art?

I understand, Park West provides a certificate of the art's Appraisal Value. Is the appraisal value what the art would be appraised for by an independent art appraiser back home?

Any tips for the best strategy to purchasing art at the auction? Best deals in art during the auctions?

Thanks.

In most cases the art work is NOT original. It's frequently mass produced. Think Thomas Kinkaid(the painter of garbage as we called him)He'd print off Giclees art & sell it at ridiculous prices, simply because some "schlock" artist painted a few brush strokes on it & then the "painting" was sold for a few thousand as an original. Park West has been sued for selling reprints & bogus paintings for originals. Please, "King", DON'T waste your money buying artwork on a ship. If you truly love a piece, it's your choice, just understand, it's likely worthless, should you ever need to sell it. If you have a relative you really dislike, leave the artwork to them as their inheritance!

Edited by keithm
spelling

I too agree that Park West is much less desirable than its predecessor, both in the quality of its art but also in the variety. (I am so sick of seeing nothing much but Peter Max and olives. Dogs playing poker would be an improvement.)

Also Park West tactics really irk me. The last straw was on our February 2017 cruise on the Regal Princess. Not satisfied with hogging the big lounge at the stern of the ship, Park West started ruining the atrium by cramming it with their so called art on several days.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is that cruises would be more enjoyable if Princess did away with allowing the art gallery and the photographers to leave their designated base area. If anyone wants art or photos, let them go to the art and photo galleries. Blocking the lounge, atrium, passageways, elevator lobbies, and gangways or interrupting your dinner to sell art or photos is an inconvenience to everyone.

Art dealers pay good money to be on the ships. Just like the crap you see at the mass sidewalk sales. Lots of pax buy that junk as well. There are reasonable watches & things, but remember that most of them are worth what you pay for..another words the watch will fail in a year or two.

In most cases the art work is NOT original. It's frequently mass produced. Think Thomas Kinkaid(the painter of garbage as we called him)He'd print off Giclees art & sell it at ridiculous prices, simply because some "schlock" artist painted a few brush strokes on it & then the "painting" was sold for a few thousand as an original. Park West has been sued for selling reprints & bogus paintings for originals. Please, "King", DON'T waste your money buying artwork on a ship. If you truly love a piece, it's your choice, just understand, it's likely worthless, should you ever need to sell it. If you have a relative you really dislike, leave the artwork to them as their inheritance!

Surprisingly enough I have seen a couple of very good Kincaid paintings. (I never thought I would defend a Kincaid painting...) They were not in the vein of "the artist of color and light" or whatever the phrase is. My son bought one for my other son's wife. It was a very nice scene of a mountain pasture that sloped down and there was a realistic ranch building, horses, etc. Not at all like I think of for a "normal" Kincaid. It was really a very nice piece. I tried to talk him out of buying it because it was freaking $3k for the signed picture but he bought it anyway and gave it to her for Christmas one year. She still has it - along with the house, the furniture, the vehicles, the livestock, and the damn horse trainer that she dumped my son for. (Sorry, a bit bitter about this.) Fortunately my son is now married to an absolutely wonderful woman we love. I do wish he had that painting though... :mad:

Princess and Fine Art should not be used in the same sentence.

Like others here I was going to voice a similar feeling. I don't think I've ever seen any "fine art" on a Princess ship.

I've seen a lot of wonderful original fine art in museums recently, never on a Princess Cruises ship. ;)

What is available on ships are reproductions, not originals.

In some cases companies selling art do not even have to warehouse what they are selling, because they have the equipment to produce it on demand to fill orders and do not buy the artwork from the artist, but instead pay a license fee for each copy they print.

If someone sees something that they really like and feel that it is worth to them what they are paying, than by all means do so. But do not expect that it is an investment, and that one will even get a fraction of the amount paid on resale.

Well said.

:D

Surprisingly enough I have seen a couple of very good Kincaid paintings. (I never thought I would defend a Kincaid painting...)

There was a gallery in a local mall a few years back that had a Kincaid store in it. Most of the "paintings" were actually just prints (reproductions) that sold at ridiculous (IMHO) prices. Nothing in that store that I could see was even close to being an actual original work, but after a few minutes in there the prices were making my wallet sweat so I left. I do like some of his work, but would never consider his paintings "fine art".

:D

Surprisingly enough I have seen a couple of very good Kincaid paintings. (I never thought I would defend a Kincaid painting...) They were not in the vein of "the artist of color and light" or whatever the phrase is. My son bought one for my other son's wife. It was a very nice scene of a mountain pasture that sloped down and there was a realistic ranch building, horses, etc. Not at all like I think of for a "normal" Kincaid. It was really a very nice piece. I tried to talk him out of buying it because it was freaking $3k for the signed picture but he bought it anyway and gave it to her for Christmas one year. She still has it - along with the house, the furniture, the vehicles, the livestock, and the damn horse trainer that she dumped my son for. (Sorry, a bit bitter about this.) Fortunately my son is now married to an absolutely wonderful woman we love. I do wish he had that painting though... :mad:

Do you know the name of the painting?