Live From May 1 2017 Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise

pkt1976

Here's a tip.

Put one of the shoes you'll be wearing in the morning in the safe.

I reckon you'll remember to check your safe.

That is a great idea. I have forgotten a passport in a safe. Got it back.

When at home and i need to remember something to take with me when I leave the house I put my car keys with it...

Uggg near crises this morning. I had been quite impressed that I wasn't jet lagged and was adjusting so well... until last night when I couldn't sleep. I did take a Tylenol pm eventually but wish I'd done so sooner. This morning I resemble a zombie... that packed "everything" out of my room and walked 2/3 the way to Victoria coach station... and realized I forgot about the safe. [emoji30] so I got to walk all the way back, but then took an Uber to the coach station as I was worried I'd be late. I didn't need to worry as I'm on a noon bus. So I'm sitting and relaxing at the bus terminal. At least I remembered before I got to the pier!!! I have never done that before, and at least it all turned out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel so bad. Two years ago we took a taxi from our hotel in Bayswater to catch our 10:00 bus from Victoria to Southampton. My husband realized he forgot the little bag with our passports! A nice man at the info desk called the hotel and the bag was there. They put it in a taxi and sent it to us. The stars aligned -- the bus was late because of traffic so we still got on. We leave in four weeks for our BI cruise with Celebrity. We are taking the bus again but staying 10 minutes away in a flat this time. Thanks for posting your report!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hope you enjoy your English afternoon tea.

If you have scones, do you put the jam on first or the cream?

Depends on whether or not you are from Cornwall or Devon!!

Not joking. Check out these links

https://www.thespruce.com/difference-cornish-vs-devon-cream-tea-435316

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-clotted-cream-435423

Edited by Corfe Mixture
Added second link as photo clearer

Sorry folks, the internet doesn't want to play nice and let me upload pics yet. I'll try again or share pics once I'm home.

We were in Guernsey today from 6am to 2pm. This is a tender port so you ride in the small boats from ship to shore. They can not accommodate wheelchairs or scooters. You check in for tender tickets and are called in order. If you are Elite in the loyalty program or in a suite, they had a separate meeting place. By the time I dragged my behind out of bed, there was little demand so I was sent to the dining room but in the front of the line since I quality as Elite. The ride over was about 10 minutes and the water was fairly smooth... on the ride over. There is a 1GBP bus that goes around the island and is a local transit bus. You can hop on and off. There is a new tourist route that goes around the island and made 4 stops. It is 7.50 GBP. I chose that one and was happy with it. The driver clearly loved his home and bragged that Guernsey cows are larger than Jersey cows! We learned that Germany occupied this island during WW2 and we saw bunkers and watch towers that still stand. In one location, it is now a golf course.

They told us that the weather yesterday was very bad with rain and wind so we would have missed that port as that's too dangerous for the tenders. They also told us the cows were hiding the last time a ship called, but we saw some Guernsey cows and I got some cute pics.

I wanted to get to Castle Cornet In time to Watch them shoot the Cannon, but we were too late.

We got back just after noon unfortunately and by that time the line for the tender to return to the ship was quite long. It took about 45 minutes in line to get onto a tender. There is a little bar and café area near the tender area so if you have trouble standing for long I would recommend sitting there and enjoying a drink until the line goes down.

The ride back to the ship was a bit more choppy and when we were re-boarding the ship the tender kept aggressively kissing the ship. There were folks with canes who had a challenging time getting back onto the ship. There are people to assist passengers getting back on the ship but you would need to be careful if you have trouble walking or use a cane.

Tonight was the first formal night. the second formal night will be the first sea day. It was also the night of the champagne water fall and the Captain's address. Unfortunately, the captain is not feeling well and did not speak. Micca announced that Cara got engaged this afternoon but it seems he was joking! She may be making him walk the plank [emoji23] The captain is Marco Fortezze. He was also the captain on the Ruby when I sailed earlier this year. He's very nice and talks with the passengers quite a bit. I saw him afterwards and told him I hope he feels better soon... he said he does too!

We did have the cruise critic meet and greet this afternoon at 3 PM in Skywalkers and we had about 50 people in attendance. Four officers were able to join us for a bit. Cruise Director Micca, Entertainment Director Marahscalh (pronounced Mara- shawl), Hotel GM Neill Hollinson, and Customer Service Director Cara Winter joined us for a bit. Captain Fortezze sent his regards but was not able to attend as we were departing Guernsey at that time and was steering the ship... that's why he makes the big bucks [emoji3]

I had Lucy and Rachel tell me how to say Marahscalh name so I could introduce him and surprise him when I said it right.... but that darn Micca beat me to it! I'm going to try to play the Yes No game tonight and if I'm picked and he's the question asker, I'm giving him grief about it hehehe.

Other events tonight are the production show Piano Man, trivia, karaoke, and live music with Paul Burton, The Pentatonics, Duo Unlimited and the Walter Black Duo.

I'm enjoying following along with you. Isn't London great? My fifth trip there is coming up and I can never seem to get enough of that City. It's surprisingly easy to manage as a solo person. Had to laugh about the safe. When there's just 1 of you traveling, it's SO easy to do things like that. Love the shoes in the safe idea.

When you go back to London the next time, stay in a different area. That's what I do each time I go so I get to know that neighborhood and the transport around it. Such a fantastic part of the world. :)

I'm loving reading this! We are doing the same trip in July with the Grandparents and my teenage kids. Can't wait to go and it's very helpful to hear what the ports, etc... are like. We chose the same excursion in France for the same reasons you did, we'll make it to Paris another time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Jennifer

I'm following along too! I have booked this cruise a number of times and life got in the way. So, again I have hope and booked for next year Aug 4, 2018 on the Royal. (This time, the ship actually uses Le Harve as another embarkation/debarkation point ... so, my desire to see Paris (again) is fulfilled.!!!)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR "LIVE FROM"!!

Don't eat all the Chicken Waldorf Salad (it's my go to snack in the IC) and make sure you leave the ship safe and sound. I will be boarding her on the 13th. [emoji3]

Looking forward to your reports as you make your way around the UK - and give me a preview of what I can expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm really enjoying this thread. I live in the U.K. and it's really interesting to see what our friends from "over the pond" think of our islands [emoji4]

We are joining Majestic in 11 days - can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a beautiful sunny day day. I have wifi on the bus so will try to get some photos up. Our guide is Joe and he's very nice and helpful. He also has a nice singing voice. Blarney Castle and grounds was so beautiful

Thanks so much for taking the time to post, really enjoying your narrative ; we are sailing on CB May 24. Greatly appreciate the tips😀

We also are onboard on the 24th...Just found this thread, and enjoying , also looking for any tips. :)

92dfb22cf443afa3f6346da850fd1956.jpga5cdac2968ddb3e5dd7d341181c7a0f1.jpga9bb3e8f21b867d9da9eec06ba5d997b.jpg4677be3a198f2a0a52a0cc5d298e0d74.jpg68b2bf56cac9e6679d8c26dc90a336d0.jpg

Lovely photos.

Did you spot the 'Island Mentality' approach to running the bus service on Guernsey?

What am I referring to?

Well, you will never find a bus which goes to St Peter Port. You will find lots of buses, in fact pretty much every bus in one direction, will have the word 'Town' on the destination board and when you get there it will look awfully like St Peter Port, but you won't find a bus with St Peter Port on the destination board! :cool: