Live From May 1 2017 Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise

pkt1976

Well I'm eating lunch in the breakfast room at the hotel. [emoji23] I did a diy walking tour this morning and just grabbed a sandwich, drink and oh yeah macaroons [emoji7] to eat in my room. I wanted a small lunch to save room for afternoon tea this afternoon. Sadly a lady fell and broke at least one leg and the medics are with her in the hall by the stairs to my room. Always get travel insurance. Even if you are healthy, things can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully I'm having tea with a Londoner, so I'll follow her [emoji106][emoji23]

Enjoying your review so far. [emoji102] ng forward to the rest. Knew the Brits were proper, but had no idea there were procedures for scones! Lol [emoji38]. Please let us know so we get it right when we visit in September! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm getting ready to go to the airport, hours away from an amazing trip!!

I found so much helpful information on this itinerary fromothers on Cruise Critic so I’d like to pay it forward and do a live from onthis trip.

A bit about me. I’ll be travelling solo on this trip. Somefriends expressed interest but the cost and amount of time out of country makesit tough to find a travel buddy. In my early 30’s in 2009 I had nasty stage 3cancer and went through Chemo, radiation and multiple surgeries. It tookseveral years to get my strength up and pain down but now I want to see theworld and I’ll go if someone can join me or not. Traveling has provided aneducation without compare. Cruising makes it so easy to travel and see manyplaces in one trip with minimal logistical challenges. If you can, just do it,you never know what tomorrow holds.

I’d been stalking this itinerary for several years so I knewwhat time of the year I wanted to go and what the average price was. Theweather and precipitation seem to be best in May/June which works as the busytime for my work is during the summer.The contacts I’ve made over the years also recommended that time frameso that is what I aimed for.

I’d read everyBritish Isles review on Cruise Critic and taken notes and bookmarked pages forwhen time and money would allow me to visit the places I’ve dreamed of goingfor as long as I can remember.I knew Iwanted to spend a few days in London prior to or after the cruise and that Iwanted a central location with easy access to the tube.

2016 was a benchmark birthday but the timing didn’t work so2017 became my target year. I looked at the itineraries, the costs and theoptimal schedule to have a minimum of vacation days needed but with recoverytime when I returned if possible. The May 1, 2017 was the best match for what Iwanted.

In the summer of 2016, the cost of this cruise was very highbut I knew that it would likely drop.Iused one of my future cruise credits to reserve the inside cabin I wanted inearly September. I had also been watching flight itineraries and costs withBritish Airways and Virgin Atlantic. I really wanted premium economy as Iintended to book a red eye flight for April 27th and want some hopeof sleeping and I wanted a non stop flight both ways.On September 14 2016, I saw a price drop thatI’d been waiting for and got an exceptional deal on a round trip from SFO toLondon Heathrow. I decided in the unlikely event the cruise cost didn’t drop toa reasonable level, I would book a land tour or visit that area on my own.

In December 2016, theprice d-ropped to an excellent price and lower than I thought it would dropto.Oh yes, this trip was a go!I kept checking the price and got anotherhuge price drop in January 2017. I like to book directly with the cruise lineso I have control of the booking and can jump on price drops without having togo through a third party. There was yet another price drop 5 days before finalpayment. It pays to keep checking!

I knew what I wanted to do in each port and started lookingat what the cruise ship offered and what I could book on my own. I’m doing acombination of ship tours, DIY, tours through Viator and a private tour I setup.I booked some through Viator as Icould pay in USD and they have a 7 day cancellation policy.I have the travel insurance but wouldn’t wantto deal with more than I had to.Also,if you don’t see your date at first, keep checking. The last port I wanteddidn’t show a tour for the date until early January.

Travel Insurance- I always buy travel insurance so I’mcovered if I have to cancel, have medical issues lose my luggage or many otherproblems that can occur during travel.I’m relatively young and relatively healthy, but things happen and Iwant to know I’m covered.Since I wasvisiting London 3 days pre cruise and booked several 3rd partytours, I purchased travel insurance through Nationwide. Their cruise specificinsurance is very comprehensive.Itcovers more for me and actually cost less than Princess’ insurance in mycase.

Here’s my plan-

April 27- Red eye flight SFO to London. I’m going to takeUber or Lyft for cost efficiency and ease.

April 28- arrive London 1:40pm. I’m staying at the BestWestern Victoria Palace, which is right near Victoria Station and the theatrewhere Wicked is performed.

April 28-30 touring London

May 1- Princess transfer from Victoria Coach Station toport. I looked at other options and don’t often book transfers through Princessbut did in the case. I did look at bus and train on my own to the port but wentwith Princess so I won’t need to worry about strikes, taxis and logistics whileI haul luggage around.

May 2- Guernsey (GBP)- DIY. I plan to explore on my own andtake the 1 GBP bus around the island and likely visit the Castle Cornet. Thisis a tender port.

May 3- Cork/Cobh (Euro) -Booked through Viator for a tourwith Paddywagon. The tour visits Blarney Castle, Cork, Cobh and Kinsale and thecost included entry to Blarney Castle. In port 0730-1800. Tour time is0800-1500

May 4- Dublin (Euro)- Booked through Viator for a tour withPaddywagon. This tour visits Wicklow, St. Kevin Monastary, TrinityCollege and other sites. Entry fees are notincluded in the cost. In port 0730-1745. Tour time is 0800-1700.

May 5- Belfast (Euro) Booked through Viator for a tour withOdyssey Coach Tours. This tour visits Giant’s Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Carricka Rede Bridge and other sites. Entrance fees are included. In port 0800-2100.Tour time is 0830 to about 1700.

May 6- Glasgow (GBP) Booked through Viator for a tour withTimberbush Tours.This tour visits Douneand Stirling Castles, Troussachs Natl park, Aberfoyle and Loch Lomand. Porttime is 0700-1800. Tour time is 0900-1630.

May 7- At sea….at last a rest day!

May 8- OrkneyIslands (GBP) I booked the Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae & Skaill House

tour through Princess. This port is subject to high winds andsometimes the ship can’t dock. Porttime is 0700-1700, tour time is 1330- 1630 so I’ll have time in the morning tolook around.

May 9- Invergordon (GBP) I booked a private tour for up to 8 withInvergordon Shore Excursions. I chatted back and forth with Nigel who was veryhelpful and answered all my questions as I had them. Pre payment was notrequired and I am to pay him the day of. The tour visits UrquhartCastle, Loch Ness, Inverness, Culloden, Cawdor Castle. The entrance fees arenot included and there is an optional Loch Ness cruise which our group is doingwith Jacobite Tours. Port time is 0700-1800, tour time is 0830- 1630.

May 10- Edinburgh (GBP) TENDER PORT. I booked a tour throughViator with Timberbush Tours. This tour visits Edinburgh Castle, HolyroodPalace, the Britannia, the Royal Mile and other sites. Entry fees were notincluded. Port time is 0700-1900, tour time is 0900-1700.

May 11- another sea day!!!

May 12- Le Havre (Euro).This one was tough. I decided pretty early on that the Paris tour justwasn’t worth it. I’d rather go to Paris on my own at some point to have morethan a few hours there. Instead I booked the Monet’s Home and Rouen throughPrincess. I’ll be able to see a lot more and be less rushed. Port time is0700-2000, tour time is 0815-1845.

May 13- Return to Southampton…the day we all dread when thevacation is over.I booked a Princesstransfer and have a 1410 flight time.

I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for posting. What ship will you be on?

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Tom😎

Enjoying your review so far. [emoji102] ng forward to the rest. Knew the Brits were proper, but had no idea there were procedures for scones! Lol [emoji38]. Please let us know so we get it right when we visit in September! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely there are procedures! ;) :)

Another great day in London! I'm exhausted but had so much fun. I will definitely be back to spend more time and see more of this great area of the world. I was going to go to Giraffe for breakfast again but I needed to go to an ATM first. I wrote down one stop as Euro but it's actually GBP so I needed more. By the bank was a Pret Manger which I've seen all over so I tried that instead. 5 pounds for a mango smoothie, protein bar, and a fruit yogurt and granola bowl worked for me.

I had planned to take a West end walking tour but it didn't start until 11. I needed to be at Charing Cross station at 2:30 to meet my friend for tea and figured I'd want a shower so decided to go on my own to be sure I had enough time. I waked out of Westminster station and Hello London Eye and Big Ben!! Westminster Abbey is also right there.

Note that Westminster Abbey is not open to visitors on Sunday. There was a sign saying this, but I think the guy at the entrance said the same thing 20 times to people in the 5 minutes or so I was in the area taking pics and just enjoying the area.

I was tired but wanted to see Buckingham Palace while I was there, which is not right but near the other landmarks. Google had its fun running me around off the beaten path. I was about to give up when I found a Starbucks and got a drink and directions. Of course when I got in the area they were doing the changing of the guard and there were tons of people. I couldn't get close enough to see anything anyway so I took some photos and left ahead of the masses.

At Victoria station, I grabbed a sandwich, drink and dessert to eat in my room, planning to rest for a bit or maybe have a nap. If you read my earlier post, you know that didn't happen. Once I could get to my room, I had a shower and got ready for something I was looking forward to the most, afternoon tea at One Aldwych!!

The tea is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed. It was delicious and I had the added bonus of visiting with my friend and colleague who lives here in London, Miss Lorna!! It was so good!! The Mango Noir tea is delicious and the best tea I've ever had. I had two pots of it! You could also have juice if you didn't want tea. There was an alcoholic drink for 10 pounds more. You need to make reservations, and well in advance. I'd checked it when I was talking to my friend about going but once we'd sorted out our schedules, it was full! I was disappointed [emoji17] I emailed them and asked them to please let me know if a spot opened up as I really wanted to go, and they got us in!! I was lucky and I'm so happy I was able to go to the tea.

They serve a selection of teas to choose from, you get the sandwich plate next and finally the star of the tea, the desserts! They offered us more sandwiches but we were full! My friend said for London, it was quite a bit of food for the price and other teas she'd been to had less food for a higher cost.

I asked Lorna about the proper method for the scones and she said it didn't matter so I told her she was clearly a renegade [emoji23] she put jam on one side and cream on the other, put it back together and started eating.

I was going to try a Turkish restaurant by the hotel tonight but so far I'm too full.

I haven't said much about the hotel. It's the Best Western Victoria Palace. They have the main building and the annex across the street, which I'm in. There is a lift(elevator) in the main building, but only stairs in the annex. It's a basic room with a tv and a nIce shower. The room is small but functional and is about the size of a smaller ship cabin. The shower is much better than the cruise ship showers though!

I knew it didn't have a refrigerator or microwave. I didn't think it would matter, but I would definitely prefer having them. When I come back and stay longer, I'll want a hotel room with those amenities if possible. There are a few markets very close by though.

Now I need to pack up everything to prepare to board the cruise ship tomorrow.

Enjoy the photos :) I forget to take photos with my phone when I have the Cannon, I've been terrible so far! I'll add them when I get home and try to remember better the rest of the trip !

What an interesting post! Thank you so much for doing this. My husband and I spent 8 days in London a few years back and we did all of our own walking and exploring itineraries based on Rick Steves' reviews and other guide books. We had an amazing time and barely made a dent in what there is to see and do in London. I fell in love with cream teas and can't wait until we're over there in a few weeks time - a tea room is first on my list of places to go. BTW - I put the jam on first. LOL! We will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess for the trip around the British Isles on May 25th, so I will be reading all of your posts with interest. Again, thanks for the effort and enjoy your cruise.

Barb

When you have time would you please post a list of the Officers as they appear on the Day 1 Patters.

Thanks

Mike

We just got off the ship following the TA. I have the names of the officers and would probably do better trying to give you those names. Were there any in particular you are interested in knowing about? Captain is Marco Fortezzee.

We just got off the ship following the TA. I have the names of the officers and would probably do better trying to give you those names. Were there any in particular you are interested in knowing about? Captain is Marco Fortezzee.

I am doing the M&G on a later cruise and want to be prepared. Happy if you would send to

casofilia at xtra dot co dot nz

Mike

I am doing the M&G on a later cruise and want to be prepared. Happy if you would send to

casofilia at xtra dot co dot nz

Mike

Mike: The officers may change before your cruise --and even mine....

Uggg near crises this morning. I had been quite impressed that I wasn't jet lagged and was adjusting so well... until last night when I couldn't sleep. I did take a Tylenol pm eventually but wish I'd done so sooner. This morning I resemble a zombie... that packed "everything" out of my room and walked 2/3 the way to Victoria coach station... and realized I forgot about the safe. [emoji30] so I got to walk all the way back, but then took an Uber to the coach station as I was worried I'd be late. I didn't need to worry as I'm on a noon bus. So I'm sitting and relaxing at the bus terminal. At least I remembered before I got to the pier!!! I have never done that before, and at least it all turned out ok.

This morning I resemble a zombie... that packed "everything" out of my room and walked 2/3 the way to Victoria coach station... and realized I forgot about the safe.

Here's a tip.

Put one of the shoes you'll be wearing in the morning in the safe.

I reckon you'll remember to check your safe.

Here's a tip.

Put one of the shoes you'll be wearing in the morning in the safe.

I guarantee you'll remember to check your safe.

Haha good idea!!! Dang, no MDR lunch this time [emoji31]

After the rough start this morning, I was happy to arrive to the ship at about 2:15, which Is much later than I normally board. I like to go to the MDR lunch on embarkation day, but sadly I was too late. Dinner is at 5:45 so I didn't want to eat much. I stopped by the 24 hour eatery, the International Cafe for a sandwich and chicken Waldorf salad along with a mint apple tea.

I have 4 full coffee cards so will be drinking a lot of coffee and tea this cruise. I get the elite mini bar but usually trade for two coffee cards as I don't like what they have. This is why I can drink 60 coffee and teas [emoji23] this time I just switched out the alcohol for coke sprite and water.... it was that it 30 more coffees and teas. 90 seemed a bit much for me. Though after 4 hours of sleep last night I likely need the caffeine.

Muster was at 4, sail away about 4:45. There was no sail away band as it had been raining and apparently the band didn't want to be electrocuted on day one. It was actually warm and sunny at that point but the deck was quite wet.

Luciana (Lucy) from Brazil is one of the cruise staff on this cruise I've met before and Michael (Micca) is the Cruise Director and I've met him before ... sort of. I think it was one of the cruises I lost my voice on as I dint remember interacting with him all that much. I did the martini demonstration where you dance for a martini. Yeah I spilled it. He asked if I was already drunk and I said no just clumsy! I should have another go this time, I like the Appletini and the Milky Way.

I had the pork for dinner. There was an artichoke soup I haven't had before and it was delicious. Desert tonight was the cheesecake. They did have the Chocolate soufflé tonight.

I'm dragging and pretty amazed that im still awake so it will be an early night. I'm watching Majority Rules hosted by Micca and Rachel from Canada at the moment then will go watch the comedian In a bit. Then... bed time. I'll post pics tomorrow :)

Thank you so much for posting your exploits in London and thanking you in advance for notes and stories that will be well written and humorous to say the least. We are taking a similar cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse on June 4 and my husband and I will have 6 pre cruise days in London. I know we will have a breakfast at the Giraffe and will quite possibly make a ressie at One Aldwich for tea.

We love to visit other boards and roll calls before we sail as they often present new, fresh and different ideas and options other than those being kicked around on our sites. Have a safe and wonderful cruise. I will be following you all they way through.