Just back from our Oasis Cruise...Is bigger Better?

Dh and I have been on many cruises but this is our first time on an oasis class ship. We sailed with 4 couples (total) all of us are in our mid 50's. First let me say that we had a wonderful cruise! Here are some particulars: When we arrived at the terminal the wait time was about 40 minutes in the car just to drop off luggage. We have never experienced this before at Port Canaveral or otherwise. Traffic was just horrific at the terminal. Is this normal? It was about 10:30 and it was almost 11:30 before we got to park the car. Once we got inside the wait time was nothing...we boarded the ship within 20 minutes. The frustration was quickly forgotten as we walked through the beautiful ship. We carried on water, cokes and wine. I bought box wine this time because it fits in the fridge better and no corkscrew needed. No problems getting through.

Dining: We chose My Time Dining which is hard when you have 8 people. They still want you to choose 5:30 or 7:45. I get it...they can serve twice as many tables this way. We reserved 5:30 half the time and 7:45 the other half (our party was split on when we wanted to eat and this was a good compromise) We ate at Chops one night at 7:00. DH and I cruised by ourselves last year and MTD was not a problem at all....we ate whenever we wanted. Anyway, the food was very good....we always got something we loved. We ate breakfast inn the MDR or at the Solarium Cafe. Lunch in the MDR, Wipeout or Solarium. We hardly went to the Windjammer. We got coffee room service every morning.

Excursions: In St Thomas we took on sailboat ride on The Fury to Turtle Bay. The snorkeling was wonderful and the captain was great. My favorite day! In St. Martin we reserved a driver for the day. He took us to Friars Bay Beach and from there we hiked over to Happy Beach. It is probably the prettiest beach in the Caribbean...and virtually no people. After that we went to Marigot for lunch and shopping and then to Juliana International Airport to "ride the fence" and watch the planes land. It was super fun!

Our favorite things about the Oasis: Central park was lovely. The Solarium was great - a bit hot but a nice pool and a great restaurant. Cats - Cats was great....the people who did not like this production just didn't like abstract shows. But you can't deny the talent. The singing and dancing was superb. We also think the service was the best we have ever had.

What we missed -The Halo pad, The Viking Crown Lounge,Deck 4, shows every night....we missed seeing the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers most nights after dinner. I know this sounds silly but I miss the curtains that close around your bed. DH likes to stay up longer than me and this blocks out the light and also allows more privacy for at least of us when ordering room service.

Our Steward, Charles, was very good. I ran a defuser in our room with essential oils: On Guard to keep us healthy and Lavender at night for sleep. Charles was intrigued by this and I explained essential oils to him. In the end I left him my defuser and three oils. He as so happy and said his family would love it. I left him sticky notes of some things I wanted: Ice, robes, different pillow, etc and the items just appeared in our room. All in all The Oasis was a great ship and regular cruisers should definitely experience her. However, my favorite ship so far in the Navigator of the Seas. Sometimes bigger is not better:-)

Dh and I have been on many cruises but this is our first time on an oasis class ship. We sailed with 4 couples (total) all of us are in our mid 50's. First let me say that we had a wonderful cruise! Here are some particulars: When we arrived at the terminal the wait time was about 40 minutes in the car just to drop off luggage. We have never experienced this before at Port Canaveral or otherwise. Traffic was just horrific at the terminal. Is this normal? It was about 10:30 and it was almost 11:30 before we got to park the car. Once we got inside the wait time was nothing...we boarded the ship within 20 minutes. The frustration was quickly forgotten as we walked through the beautiful ship. We carried on water, cokes and wine. I bought box wine this time because it fits in the fridge better and no corkscrew needed. No problems getting through.

Dining: We chose My Time Dining which is hard when you have 8 people. They still want you to choose 5:30 or 7:45. I get it...they can serve twice as many tables this way. We reserved 5:30 half the time and 7:45 the other half (our party was split on when we wanted to eat and this was a good compromise) We ate at Chops one night at 7:00. DH and I cruised by ourselves last year and MTD was not a problem at all....we ate whenever we wanted. Anyway, the food was very good....we always got something we loved. We ate breakfast inn the MDR or at the Solarium Cafe. Lunch in the MDR, Wipeout or Solarium. We hardly went to the Windjammer. We got coffee room service every morning.

Excursions: In St Thomas we took on sailboat ride on The Fury to Turtle Bay. The snorkeling was wonderful and the captain was great. My favorite day! In St. Martin we reserved a driver for the day. He took us to Friars Bay Beach and from there we hiked over to Happy Beach. It is probably the prettiest beach in the Caribbean...and virtually no people. After that we went to Marigot for lunch and shopping and then to Juliana International Airport to "ride the fence" and watch the planes land. It was super fun!

Our favorite things about the Oasis: Central park was lovely. The Solarium was great - a bit hot but a nice pool and a great restaurant. Cats - Cats was great....the people who did not like this production just didn't like abstract shows. But you can't deny the talent. The singing and dancing was superb. We also think the service was the best we have ever had.

What we missed -The Halo pad, The Viking Crown Lounge,Deck 4, shows every night....we missed seeing the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers most nights after dinner. I know this sounds silly but I miss the curtains that close around your bed. DH likes to stay up longer than me and this blocks out the light and also allows more privacy for at least of us when ordering room service.

Our Steward, Charles, was very good. I ran a defuser in our room with essential oils: On Guard to keep us healthy and Lavender at night for sleep. Charles was intrigued by this and I explained essential oils to him. In the end I left him my defuser and three oils. He as so happy and said his family would love it. I left him sticky notes of some things I wanted: Ice, robes, different pillow, etc and the items just appeared in our room. All in all The Oasis was a great ship and regular cruisers should definitely experience her. However, my favorite ship so far in the Navigator of the Seas. Sometimes bigger is not better:-)

What kind of pillow were you able to request?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ran a defuser in our room with essential oils: On Guard to keep us healthy and Lavender at night for sleep. Charles was intrigued by this and I explained essential oils to him. In the end I left him my defuser and three oils. He as so happy and said his family would love it.

I'm intrigued by this. I've considered bringing a difuser on a cruise, but wasn't sure how to manage it or if it would be taken away to the naughty room. I'm assuming you had a small size one?

Did you put your cokes & water in a carry on bag ? and they were OK with it ?

Thanks

Technically it's against the rules, but they generally let it through. The wine box I have never heard of someone trying, but I wouldn't want to risk it being taken away and just go with bottles.

My defuser is a regular size but it can be turned down...in other words you can set it to where the vapor comes out slowly so as not to be too much in the room. Two other couples we traveled with also brought defusers.

Did you even try for a different time? What did they say?[/quote

Yes, but the problem was that we had 8 people. So many people in MTD want the same waiter so they reserve their tables. It seems that you should not be able to reserve in MTD to make it a true MTD...but it worked out ok...

Technically it's against the rules, but they generally let it through. The wine box I have never heard of someone trying, but I wouldn't want to risk it being taken away and just go with bottles.

I think the key is to carry it on. We always bring a few cokes and a case of water...and wine and it has never been a problem.

I love the Oasis & Quantum class the most. To the Op, we sailed on the Navigator this Feb. & no curtain dividers and since you love this ship, just wondering.

Nelblu: I know!!! That was the only thing about the Navigator I didn't like. Love, Love the curtains!

Couple of posters have mentioned curtains to divide cabin - don't remember on any RC ship - curious which ships have them.

I remember them on the Brilliance class. Haven't sailed them in awhile so not sure exactly.

Couple of posters have mentioned curtains to divide cabin - don't remember on any RC ship - curious which ships have them.

I know the Mariner had them for sure...I have pictures. Maybe the Monarch??