Yet Another Wine Question!

jlnprt

Must be lots of wine drinkers based on the number of questions on this subject. I have searched the board for an answer ... honestly!! ... but I want to make sure I understand. I know that dh and I can each bring a bottle of wine aboard. But, do I understand correctly that we can bring on additional bottles as long as we pay the $18 (or whatever it is) corkage fee upon embarkation? If we do that, can we bring those bottles to the dining room with us? Not a huge deal, but we have a few favorites that we might bring along if this is the case. Many thanks! Dh and I are going on our first HAL cruise this summer and I can't thank you all enough for this board. I'm a planner ... and this board has been immensely helpful!!!

Must be lots of wine drinkers based on the number of questions on this subject. I have searched the board for an answer ... honestly!! ... but I want to make sure I understand. I know that dh and I can each bring a bottle of wine aboard. But, do I understand correctly that we can bring on additional bottles as long as we pay the $18 (or whatever it is) corkage fee upon embarkation? YES If we do that, can we bring those bottles to the dining room with us? YES Not a huge deal, but we have a few favorites that we might bring along if this is the case. Many thanks! Dh and I are going on our first HAL cruise this summer and I can't thank you all enough for this board. I'm a planner ... and this board has been immensely helpful!!!

YES to both questions.

Tasmantoo's response is correct.

May I suggest that if you take your wine to the MDR and use the services of your Wine Steward, a gratuity offered at the end of your cruise would be appropriate and appreciated by the individual.

Tasmantoo's response is correct.

May I suggest that if you take your wine to the MDR and use the services of your Wine Steward, a gratuity offered at the end of your cruise would be appropriate and appreciated by the individual.

While any gratuity will be appreciated, you should know that you have already paid the 15% gratuity when you paid the $18. corkage fee.

If we do that, can we bring those bottles to the dining room with us?
Yes, but the two corkage-free are for in-room consumption only. Also, you may bring on more at every port, subject to the $18 fee ... unless you bought them on a HAL excursion to a winery, when one more bottle per adult is allowed corkage-free for in-room use.

Yes, but the two corkage-free are for in-room consumption only. Also, you may bring on more at every port, subject to the $18 fee ... unless you bought them on a HAL excursion to a winery, when one more bottle per adult is allowed corkage-free for in-room use.

The corkage-free bottles can also be taken to the dining room and you will be charged the corkage fee there.

I agree with most of what has been said except for one thing: we were told that you can only bring on wine at your embarkation port (whether it be your one free bottle per person or additional bottles for corkage). We assumed that you could purchase wine at a port and bring it on board (and pay the corkage). We were told on our December cruise that this is not allowed unless you are bring back wine purchased on a Holland America shore excursion. We had purchased a couple of bottles when we were in Key West on our December cruise because we didn't have time to do it before leaving Tampa and encountered this issue when we came back to the ship. I raised a bit of a stink because I had never heard of this and did not see any information stating this was the procedure so they allowed us to bring the wine on board. However, I just wanted to let you know that trying to bring a bottle (or two) on from a port may not work (or who knows may vary from ship to ship).

I agree with most of what has been said except for one thing: we were told that you can only bring on wine at your embarkation port (whether it be your one free bottle per person or additional bottles for corkage). We assumed that you could purchase wine at a port and bring it on board (and pay the corkage). We were told on our December cruise that this is not allowed unless you are bring back wine purchased on a Holland America shore excursion. We had purchased a couple of bottles when we were in Key West on our December cruise because we didn't have time to do it before leaving Tampa and encountered this issue when we came back to the ship. I raised a bit of a stink because I had never heard of this and did not see any information stating this was the procedure so they allowed us to bring the wine on board. However, I just wanted to let you know that trying to bring a bottle (or two) on from a port may not work (or who knows may vary from ship to ship).

We have done this many, many times. There is always someone (a wine steward) after you go through the scanners to get back on board who collects liquor or wine bottles until the end of the cruise and also charges corkage fees if you want to keep your bottles with you. You should have asked to speak to the cellar master or an officer. If you were in Key West and Tampa in December you must have been on the Oosterdam. We were on that ship in March for 21 days and brought on wine at 2 ports including the turn around day in Tampa.

This happened at one of our ports too. (Just got off the Rotterdam). I said no, you are not keeping it, we will pay the corkage. I got the reply no alcohol could be brought on.

I Told him firmly we were allowed and asked him to get someone more familiar with wine check in who confirmed we could pay corkage. Turned out the beverage guy wes new at the job and just didn't know. He apologized and we said no worries.

I had a confused look by another one at a port when I said I would pay the corkage. I filled out the slip for him. LOL.

We were the victims of "newbies" who didn't know the policy and, I think that many choose to just leave it and get it at the end of the cruise?

Obviously, if we hadn't challenged it as you did, we would not have been allowed to take our wine.

Sometimes you have to stand up for your rights ;)