Oasis Voom Surf OR Surf + Stream?

Hi everyone,

We haven't cruised for a while and are new to this Voom internet stuff. On the RCL website, it shows me options for Surf, or, Surf + Stream. However, when I go through my Online Cruise Planner through the RCL website, I can't purchase just the Surf package, only the Surf + Stream. Do we know why?

Also, if we are just using to check email and to text using Iphone Imessage, would the Surf option be best? When the cost says "1 Device", does this mean my DD can't log onto mine using her device?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

You get a code to log in. It will only work on one device at a time but you can share with someone. The downside to only getting one, is that you can't stay in touch with each other. We found it helpful to text each other if we were running late, etc.

Hi everyone,

We haven't cruised for a while and are new to this Voom internet stuff. On the RCL website, it shows me options for Surf, or, Surf + Stream. However, when I go through my Online Cruise Planner through the RCL website, I can't purchase just the Surf package, only the Surf + Stream. Do we know why?

Also, if we are just using to check email and to text using Iphone Imessage, would the Surf option be best? When the cost says "1 Device", does this mean my DD can't log onto mine using her device?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

If you're using it for emails and imessage then its sufficient. It's not fast enough to stream as it claims. But dont waste your money if youre using it for anything else. If you want to text others on the same ship just pay for the royal IQ text option, its only 7.95 for the whole week.

Thanks everyone. I guess if we want to stream using the internet (not videos but just surfing), probably best to get the Surf + Stream option if surfing is slow.

Especially since the pre-cruise price of S+S is on sale.

Especially since the pre-cruise price of S+S is on sale.

We were on the Oasis last week and the Ping rate was 595 to 600 so I am fairy confident that they were not using the OB3 satellites. this doesn't make sense because we were in the caribbean. download max 3.5 upload max 2

We were on the Oasis last week and the Ping rate was 595 to 600 so I am fairy confident that they were not using the OB3 satellites. this doesn't make sense because we were in the caribbean. download max 3.5 upload max 2

I've never seen O3b ping rates that bad. Perhaps the O3b system was not being using at that point and they had failed over to the old geosync system.

The ping alone can't tell you the O3B system was not being used. Load and other downstream network issues may lead to that high ping rate. You might be able to confirm using the tracert command.

Edited by Biker19

The ping alone can't tell you the O3B system was not being used. Load and other downstream network issues may lead to that high ping rate. You might be able to confirm using the tracert command.

I'm terrible with technology terms, sorry folks! Does this mean that the S & S option was not a good connection?

I'm terrible with technology terms, sorry folks! Does this mean that the S & S option was not a good connection?

On ships with O3b service (Quantum class, Oasis class, Freedom, and Majesty), it's usually a very good connection.

I've never seen O3b ping rates that bad. Perhaps the O3b system was not being using at that point and they had failed over to the old geosync system.

The ping rates were within the same range all week as were the download and upload rates.

-tim-

Thanks for the info. If i get the same rates on Allure on my next cruise I will try using the tracert command.

-tim-

If you're using it for emails and imessage then its sufficient. It's not fast enough to stream as it claims. But dont waste your money if youre using it for anything else. If you want to text others on the same ship just pay for the royal IQ text option, its only 7.95 for the whole week.

I was told that the Royal IQ is not on the Oasis yet.

• 2 months later...
Will it be cheaper to buy surf and stream ahead of time or skip day one and purchase just surf with the crown and anchor discount (just Gold, not anything higher)? Going on Oasis in September 2017

Hard to say without knowing your pre-cruise price.