Can adults share meals with kids in specialty restaurants?

RobinSie

I swore I would not go back to this thread, but here I am.

We have been on the SUN (31 days in November - December) and the Star - 20 days in March - April.

We ate several meals on both ships with friends who did not have a package.

They paid their bill, we didn't pay ours.

We had the old UDP.

Simple.

We dined with folks who had the new SDP. Same thing, we ate with them and they had limited choices of what to order - one appetizer, one main course and one desert.

We could have multiple.

No problem with that.

This has been hashed over a lot - probably too much.

Sorry if I wasn't fully clear about this.

If you read the thread I linked, you will see that the problem occurs when two people in the same stateroom do two different things.

So if both have the SDP, but only one of the two wants to USE the SDP, then they are unable to do it.

Recall that you always have the choice whether to use your SDP credit or just pay a la carte and save your SDP credits for later.

When you dine with the other person in your stateroom, that choice is taken away from you (due to system limitations -- NOT policy!) Either both have to pay a la carte, or both use the SDP. Otherwise it gives the system fits.

As I said, the director of restaurants onboard (Loredana, who was very nice) told me that I found a legitimate bug in their system, and she would report it.

But I'm skeptical whether this got fixed, since it's not a super common problem, and I imagine the corporate people won't even understand what is being reported.

We dined with folks who had the new SDP. Same thing, we ate with them and they had limited choices of what to order - one appetizer, one main course and one desert.

We could have multiple.

No problem with that.

This has been hashed over a lot - probably too much.

Limited choices with SDP???? Besides only being able to order one entree, I never had problems ordering multiple appetizers and side dishes at Le Bistro and at Cagney's. This was done last summer as a solo and again in January as a couple.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

When you dine with the other person in your stateroom, that choice is taken away from you (due to system limitations -- NOT policy!) Either both have to pay a la carte, or both use the SDP. Otherwise it gives the system fits.

What happens if they (same stateroom both with SDP) dine separately? The system should be able to handle that.

If that is the case, a simple solution would be to let the restaurant know at the time of seating so that even though both people are at the same table, it would be 2 separate transactions and each person would sign their bill (1 uses SDP, the other pays a la carte).

I've eaten without the rest of my family and it wasn't a problem but I/we have never tried the scenario that you mentioned. Maybe I'll try it next time just to see what happens.....

What happens if they (same stateroom both with SDP) dine separately? The system should be able to handle that.

If that is the case, a simple solution would be to let the restaurant know at the time of seating so that even though both people are at the same table, it would be 2 separate transactions and each person would sign their bill (1 uses SDP, the other pays a la carte).

I've eaten without the rest of my family and it wasn't a problem but I/we have never tried the scenario that you mentioned. Maybe I'll try it next time just to see what happens.....

Separate checks might be the solution, but the restaurant may have a hard time with that because they do the booking based upon stateroom.

While I believe they can book two staterooms at one table, I don't think they can book one stateroom twice.

But I'll give it a shot, for sure. The annoying thing was that, despite the gracious handling by the restaurant director, I knew this problem would likely come back up for me on my next cruise.

Limited choices with SDP???? Besides only being able to order one entree, I never had problems ordering multiple appetizers and side dishes at Le Bistro and at Cagney's. This was done last summer as a solo and again in January as a couple.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Yes, limited selections with SDP - we have experienced it first hand. When and where this happens seems to vary widely. Best I can say from our experience and what some others have reported is it is being told to waiters to limit selections.

Yes, limited selections with SDP - we have experienced it first hand. When and where this happens seems to vary widely. Best I can say from our experience and what some others have reported is it is being told to waiters to limit selections.
So...does one have to tell them you have the SDP BEFORE you order or do you do that at the end? And if you do decide you want 2 appetizers do they charge you for the extra one? THis whole thing seems ridiculous and petty to me. They make these bonus offers without really specifying the conditions....it does state ONE entree, making one think the rest is unlimited. They need to change their wording. We did pick the SDP as our bonus and I won't be regretting it...but if I didn't come here we'd probably be ordering more than we are entitled to unless of course our server explained it to us.

So...does one have to tell them you have the SDP BEFORE you order or do you do that at the end? And if you do decide you want 2 appetizers do they charge you for the extra one? THis whole thing seems ridiculous and petty to me. They make these bonus offers without really specifying the conditions....it does state ONE entree, making one think the rest is unlimited. They need to change their wording. We did pick the SDP as our bonus and I won't be regretting it...but if I didn't come here we'd probably be ordering more than we are entitled to unless of course our server explained it to us.

You do need to tell them at the beginning if you are using a coupon.

We were dining with friends who were using SDP while we were using UDP.

They were allowed one side.

Our waitress (who knows us very well) suggested that I might like to try another side. (since I can order as many as I want).

She was discrete by saying this & I ordered another.

And yes, I did share.

So this tells me that they do limit the number of sides.

I think I remember them being limited to one appetizer, but I could be wrong.

Judy

I had no problems ordering 2 side dishes and either 2 or 3 apps at Cagney's on both of my previous Escape sailings and I will go through the same procedure in September. The waiter should know that we have the SDP since it would pop up on our cabin number in the system and if they had any questions whether we were utilizing our credit or not, no one ever asked us. I just presented our room key at the end of the meal and got a zero balance as I expected. If things are different come September, which I highly doubt, there will be a heated discussion that will follow.

I had no problems ordering 2 side dishes and either 2 or 3 apps at Cagney's on both of my previous Escape sailings and I will go through the same procedure in September. The waiter should know that we have the SDP since it would pop up on our cabin number in the system and if they had any questions whether we were utilizing our credit or not, no one ever asked us. I just presented our room key at the end of the meal and got a zero balance as I expected. If things are different come September, which I highly doubt, there will be a heated discussion that will follow.

It looks to me like it may be a ship decision, or even possibly a restaurant or waiter decision since several of us have recently had different experiences.

We will now have to use the SDP since we have no more UDP cruises. :(

I'll ask about it before we order.

It looks to me like it may be a ship decision, or even possibly a restaurant or waiter decision since several of us have recently had different experiences.

We will now have to use the SDP since we have no more UDP cruises. :(

I'll ask about it before we order.

This is correct. For whatever reason, it varies widely from ship to ship and restaurant to restaurant.

The "official" rule is that the SDP entitles you to one entree, one appetizer, two sides, and one dessert (or last I heard, that was the rule).

However, the only one consistently enforced is the entree. The others are frequently waived by the waiter or individual restaurant, and you won't know this until you get to each restaurant onboard.

BTW, this is a good time to mention that the specialties are very customer service oriented, and will do whatever they can (within reason) to make you happy.

For example, on one of my cruises, my wife ordered lamb chops, and one of the two chops that came had very little meat, while the other was a decent size. This left her hungry because the second chop was almost useless. I didn't speak up (which is unusual for me), and just paid for another lamb chop entree for her.

However, this irked me later, so the next time I came in, I told them of my concern. I said that we liked the lamb chops, but one of the two chops was very small. I asked, "Can you just make sure both chops are large?"

They went above and beyond. My meal came with THREE large lamb chops. And the final time I came in, they asked me, "Would you like the lamb chops again?", and this time my wife ordered them, and indeed she also got three large lamb chops without even asking.

I have a number of other nice "service" stories at the specialties. Sometimes the service is slow and the waiters/waitresses are kinda clueless, but usually everyone is nice and they really will go out of their way or make exceptions to make you happy.

So keep that in mind before you're afraid to give your kids a few bites off your plate, just because the kids didn't pay anything.

This is correct. For whatever reason, it varies widely from ship to ship and restaurant to restaurant.

The "official" rule is that the SDP entitles you to one entree, one appetizer, two sides, and one dessert (or last I heard, that was the rule).

I don't recall ever reading any "official rules" about this. Is there somewhere on NCL site that I can see this? The only thing I ever read was that you were limited to ONE entree...no mention of apps, sides or deserts.

I don't recall ever reading any "official rules" about this. Is there somewhere on NCL site that I can see this? The only thing I ever read was that you were limited to ONE entree...no mention of apps, sides or deserts.
On my cruise, I did hear one server at Cagney's tell someone they could only order one entree, one starter and one side, but never heard it again there or the other restaurants. Possibly each ship and/or servers is interpreting the program differently. But you are correct, the terms and conditions don't mention anything other than only being allowed one entree. Edited by NLH Arizona

So I am going to ask advice based on the original question. My husband and I have the 3SDP as a perk and plan to use our on board credit for an additional 3 night package. We want to try all the specialties on the Breakaway. My 10 year old dd will dine with us each night and has always enjoyed going out with us and trying new foods, although her appetite is small. In all honesty, while the kids menu might be alright for lunch, it is not something I would consider a nice meal for dinner. At this point, I am thinking about purchasing a 6 night SPD for her so then there will not be any issues and she can order what she wants. If I purchase in advance, I think it will better than paying as we go?

I can't find it, either. But that's what I was told onboard.

So I am going to ask advice based on the original question. My husband and I have the 3SDP as a perk and plan to use our on board credit for an additional 3 night package. We want to try all the specialties on the Breakaway. My 10 year old dd will dine with us each night and has always enjoyed going out with us and trying new foods, although her appetite is small. In all honesty, while the kids menu might be alright for lunch, it is not something I would consider a nice meal for dinner. At this point, I am thinking about purchasing a 6 night SPD for her so then there will not be any issues and she can order what she wants. If I purchase in advance, I think it will better than paying as we go?
I think that would be the best thing. If the restaurant were to limit you and you wanted to share, you would have to pay the a la carte prices for additional items, so a dining package will be much more cost effective.

At this point, I am thinking about purchasing a 6 night SPD for her so then there will not be any issues and she can order what she wants. If I purchase in advance, I think it will better than paying as we go?

If her appetite is "small", it might be better to just order apps for her and pay as you go.

If she is likely to order an entree every night, get the plan.

What you could do is show her the menu for the restaurants that you plan on going and see if she is likely to order apps only or an entree.

Possibly each ship and/or servers is interpreting the program differently. But you are correct, the terms and conditions don't mention anything other than only being allowed one entree.

Another possibility is that something is coming that will limit apps, desserts, etc. and some servers are trying to limit things now. I suspect that if/when new menus are made fleet-wide, there will be something limiting apps. Since the T&C don't mention them, NCL wouldn't be violating anything by placing a limit on apps.

Purchasing her the 6 night SPD is your best option in my opinion.

This way, no questions asked and it won't matter if you get a "strict" restaurant or waiter.

If she wants an entree, it's OK.

If not, that's OK too.

I've had them substitute an appetizer for an entree.

BTW - there are no kids menus in Specialty dining rooms now.

Another possibility is that something is coming that will limit apps, desserts, etc. and some servers are trying to limit things now. I suspect that if/when new menus are made fleet-wide, there will be something limiting apps. Since the T&C don't mention them, NCL wouldn't be violating anything by placing a limit on apps.
I can see them doing this, only because of the posts I've read about how folks are sharing and some of the amounts folks order just for themselves.

If they did it, I would hope they would have two starters (because some like soup and a salad), one entree and two sides (this would give someone a starch and vegetable) and one dessert. Now, if it was just for me, one starter, one entree and one side would be fine, but others enjoy the whole magilla.

I don't recall the exact sequence other than almost as soon as we had sat down they (2 different waiters on Gem on 2 different nights this past Dec. in Cagneys) started telling us about limits. And their limits were different between the two of them. I posted in my thread or another one in December when the "restrictions" were fresh in my mind but it was like one app, one soup or salad, the one entree, one side, and one dessert. Another night it was something like one above the entree line (so one from either apps, soup, or salad), one entree, one side, and one dessert. I traded a dessert for one more above the entree line.

What I mean by sequence is if they knew already as we were seated or if we had ordered a drink and they saw it on the card

Hope it works out for you. I seemed to be one of the few who posted about limits but there has been more people posting about getting restrictions as well. Heck, we as well as PunkinCC who was on our March 2016 POA trip ran into it then.

Could be, but we as well as Punkincc ran into it on POA in March 2016. Our Dec. 2016 trip we ran into it again and there are more and more reports of people running into it although we still appear to be in the minority.

Here are some quotes from the Q & A on NCL web site:

WHAT IF MY TRAVELING COMPANION DOESN’T WANT TO BUY A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE, DO THEY STILL HAVE TO PURCHASE IT?

No, guests staying in the same stateroom do not need to purchase the package. Specialty Dining Packages may be purchased individually.

CAN I BUY DINNER FOR MY FRIENDS WITH A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Specialty Dining Packages are for personal consumption. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will incur in regular cover charges for their consumption.

HOW WILL THE RESTAURANT STAFF KNOW I HAVE PURCHASED A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Your room keycard will be coded as well as tagged with a sticker and used for identification. The restaurant staff will request to see your room keycard for verification prior to service. So keep it handy.

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

No, an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

No kids pricing available for Specialty Dining Package. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Charges will apply for additional main course orders.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

****This one is where confusion makes an appearance.