Can adults share meals with kids in specialty restaurants?

RobinSie

We will have our kids, DD12 and DS10 with us when we sail on the Escape in June. We didn't get the SDP, but are considering purchasing one. Our kids are generally happy with the regular kid's menu. Is there steak on the kid's menu? If not, is it ok for us to share just some of the steak with them to go along with their meal? TIA

a few bites might be acceptable but down right sharing, if nothing else I find it a bet tacky but that is just me. In fact I find it hard to believe a 12 year old would be happy with the kids menu. I didn't mean to sound so snotty, I think I am just a bit surprised with the question.

Do you plan on purchasing sides and an appetizer for them? In that case, I would think sharing the steak would be acceptable. I had 4 comped meals with platinum last month and with the meal "fixed", no issue doing this at Cagneys and La Bistro. since everything is a la carte. and not unlimited.

splitting of entrees is the epitome of cheap, im sorry.

i worked in a restaurant for a few years. i once saw a couple split a glass of wine. no joke.

While I agree that two grown adults splitting one meal, and especially splitting a glass of wine, can be considered "cheap" splitting a meal with your kids who would probably not eat an entire $20-$30 steak I dont consider to be in the same realm. That would just be a waste of money. Same can be said about adults sharing too. You do not know other people's budget. Splitting might let them enjoy a nice night/dinner out without having to put it on a credit card.

I would say have them order off the kids menu and then give them a few bites of your stuff. You should be fine.

Me and the DH split all the time. Especially at our steakhouses in Chicago. They actually encourage it. We order a 10oz filet and they split it in 2 and cook it the way we each want it. We split a side and have a shrimp cocktail. We split when we are going for a night on the town and can't carry leftovers. If we are going straight home, we get our own meal. No shame in sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me and the DH split all the time. Especially at our steakhouses in Chicago. They actually encourage it. We order a 10oz filet and they split it in 2 and cook it the way we each want it. We split a side and have a shrimp cocktail. We split when we are going for a night on the town and can't carry leftovers. If we are going straight home, we get our own meal. No shame in sharing.

Which steakhouse? Always looking for a good restaurant when we are in town (which is never enough by the way).

I agree sharing is great. DH and I usually make a point of ordering different items so we can try each other's. I can't finish a typical entree so he usually does. If he's not very hungry either, we order one and share. If someone considers us cheap, that is their problem, not mine.

my husband and I share all the time. Nothing cheap about it. We just don't eat a lot and restaurant portions tend to be huge. And I don't like to waste food.

The only issue you'll run into with sharing in this situation is if you use your SDP credit with unlimited apps, sides, and desserts to order extra items for them. So 2 SDP and 2 kids ordering 2 apps, 2 entrees 3-4 sides 2 desserts and 2 kids meals won't raise any ebrows - but ordering 4 apps, 2 entrees, 6-8 sides, and 4 desserts w those 2 credits may.... big difference between ordering what you want and you kids having a few bites vs ordering items specifically for the kids to eat off your credit.

my husband and I share all the time. Nothing cheap about it. We just don't eat a lot and restaurant portions tend to be huge. And I don't like to waste food.

I was freaking out. This didn't post as a quote and I was like "she's stealing my words. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Totally agree with this. My DH and I often split a meal, especially if we can't take leftovers home.

Since we moved to the US we find the portion sizes in restaurant ridiculously large, way to much for one person.

It is not about being cheap, its about not being wasteful.

Lois

What is wrong with sharing a meal? If you paid for it, why not? Some people do not eat as much as others. When you order a steak and it is over 10 oz, that is a big steak for us. We see the food that is wasted by many on a cruise. It is a shame and totally wasteful.

What would happen on NCL if a couple went into Cagneys and ordered:

1 appetizer

1 entree

1 side

no desert since we do not eat desert.

AND then split/share it?

Is that being cheap?

Fire away! ;)

If you paid for the steak, then why can't it be shared? You're not talking about a buffet where the food is unlimited and sharing with someone who hasn't paid for the buffet is therefore prohibited for obvious reasons. Here, you get one entree and I think you can do what you want with it, including dividing the steak into 1/3's! When my kids were young, I would have done the exact same thing - ordered them a kid's meal and then given them a few bites of mine.

splitting of entrees is the epitome of cheap, im sorry.

i worked in a restaurant for a few years. i once saw a couple split a glass of wine. no joke.

... perhaps if you are doing it just to save money but a lot of children like a taste of this or that but have small appetites. For instance my oldest 2 children have always appreciated a great meal and have been eating off of the adult menu at restaurants for years but my youngest (who will be 9 when we cruise next) eats like a bird. She loves steak but only eats 2 bites of it before she is "full".

She's intending to get the kids their kids' meals but wants to know if it's ok to give them a few bites of their steaks at the same time. Of course it is. Everyone's so quick to judge.

This exactly what I was meaning. My kids are not big eaters. DD12 (not her real name) is tall, but very thin and DS10 (not his real name) also eats like a bird. They have no interest in any of the sides and would be happy with whatever dessert is on their menu. Seems crazy to spend $82 for 3 meals each for them, when they never finish a whole kid's meal anywhere. They are more grazers than eaters.

What is wrong with sharing a meal? If you paid for it, why not? Some people do not eat as much as others. When you order a steak and it is over 10 oz, that is a big steak for us. We see the food that is wasted by many on a cruise. It is a shame and totally wasteful.

What would happen on NCL if a couple went into Cagneys and ordered:

1 appetizer

1 entree

1 side

no desert since we do not eat desert.

AND then split/share it?

Is that being cheap?

Fire away! ;)

I hate to see the waste. I would much rather see restaurants serve smaller portions for a lesser price. The fact is that restaurants have gone to super sizing all their plates and charging a hefty price to go with it. No wonder we are a "growing" society. Thank you to all those who understood my question and didn't judge me as being cheap. My kids just are not big eaters.

Most specialties have children's menus that are either free, or greatly reduced prices.

No they don't. They got rid of children's pricing on specialties some time ago. Only the standard children's menu is free, otherwise children can order off the regular menu at the regular price, or the SDP can be purchased for the child.